Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2017 10:36:25 AM EDT
So I have been reading and I have it my mind, that next year this is happening. I have no expectations other than a lot of exercise and catching some trout atleast. As the hunting license comes with a fishing license as well. Now last time I was out there fishing we had elk within 500 600yds. I don’t expect that to happen this time.

Anyways you will prolly see me in this forum asking some advice and gathering pointers. Hopefully everyone has had or is having a good season.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Your expectations are reasonable. You won’t be disappointed either way.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Get in shape is the best advice especially for flat landers like us I hiked 3 miles with a 46lbs pack every day before my last trip and it really helped I usually mix up running and  hiking with a 25-30lbs pack.

This year going to try and work my weight up to 60
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get in shape is the best advice especially for flat landers like us I hiked 3 miles with a 46lbs pack every day before my last trip and it really helped I usually mix up running and  hiking with a 25-30lbs pack.

This year going to try and work my weight up to 60
View Quote
This. I've lived most of my life in CO and if you're not in shape you'll not have much fun and less so if you end up having to haul an elk out of the woods.

To be honest, it's not as difficult as people sometimes make it. The hiking and hauling out will be difficult for sure, but the planning and getting out isn't. Use the CPW interactive map to get an idea where they are then grab your gear and go. Give yourself a few days at least as well. Just don't be one of those dicks that just drive up and down the road on an ATV or truck. Find a decent looking area, park, hike, hunt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been interested in trying this out for a couple of years now. I am just so used to hunting the family ranch here in Texas, the process of getting on public land is foreign to me. I need to find someone to trade hog hunting here for help on a elk hunt there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagging this thread.

I've just started planning an OTC hunt with 3 other guys and am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I've hunted, camped, and hiked, but this is a whole other level from what I've done in the past.  I'm not really that worried about prepping for the remote outdoor aspect of it, but the whole matter of logistics is what worries me-  as in bringing all the gear with us, finding a place to park, finding a place to set up camp, finding a place to hunt, and then bringing it all back from the wilderness if we're fortunate enough to take a nice elk.  CP&W has a nice read called elk hunting university and there's a ton of info out there...seems like a daunting task though, and hopefully it doesn't take the fun out of it and prevent me from making some great lifelong memories from it (I'm always of the mindset that this is what hunting is about, and not just bringing back meat or trophies).
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tagging this thread.

I've just started planning an OTC hunt with 3 other guys and am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I've hunted, camped, and hiked, but this is a whole other level from what I've done in the past.  I'm not really that worried about prepping for the remote outdoor aspect of it, but the whole matter of logistics is what worries me-  as in bringing all the gear with us, finding a place to park, finding a place to set up camp, finding a place to hunt, and then bringing it all back from the wilderness if we're fortunate enough to take a nice elk.  CP&W has a nice read called elk hunting university and there's a ton of info out there...seems like a daunting task though, and hopefully it doesn't take the fun out of it and prevent me from making some great lifelong memories from it (I'm always of the mindset that this is what hunting is about, and not just bringing back meat or trophies).
View Quote
Just do it man.  Spending 2 weeks chasing elk in the Gospel Hump Wilderness a couple years ago was probably the most awesome hunting experience I've had and I didn't kill shit but a few grouse.

I packed my truck up with all of my camping and hunting gear, plus a couple empty ice chests and drove to a spot I picked out while studying Google Earth.  Grab a topo
map of the area on your way through and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe some of us should do a Arfcom OTC Colorado elk hunt.

I'm planning a hunt for 2019 and might try to squeeze in one for 2018. I'm also going to start building up points in Colorado and some other states for Mulies and Elk.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
DO IT!!  Last fall was my first western hunt.  Colorado 2nd rifle OTC.  Absolutely the most fun I've ever had hunting to date.  We hiked in several miles then set up spike camp and hunted from there.  Next time will probably be with archery equipment and moving around a lot more.  Choose your hunting partners wisely for this trip, and don't let the trip ruin any friendships, be open minded.  We didn't kill anything but had an awesome time, and I can't wait to go back.  Check out rokslide.com tons of info and a great classified section.  I bought a lot of gear for the hunt from there at great prices.  Good luck, and have fun!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to jump in here to try to help with Colorado hunts that you may be planning.  I've been hunting elk, deer, antelope and every other species open to hunt in this state since I was ten years old.  I did two elk hunts last year, one in Colorado and one in New Mexico.  I live about 140 miles from Chama, NM and the Jicarilla, in the Southwest part of Colorado.  
Elk hunting is hard on public lands.  Don't let that discourage you.  If it's any consolation it isn't nearly as hard as sheep or mountain goat hunting!  And you will see incredible country.
Elk are where people are not, so public land hunting with a high level of hunter pressure moves any elk around to the most difficult terrain and heavy cover.  Outfitters and private ranches charge very high prices, because when the pressure is on elk move into areas on private land where they are not bothered, and more easily hunted.
Elk are also influenced by the weather, and the last several years it has been warm and dry through the first Colorado elk seasons.  This keeps the elk at very high altitudes until the snows drive them down.  Not to say that you won't find herds at lower altitudes, but it is more challenging.  
Weather is one of the biggest factors and risks to hunters in Colorado. It can be 65 degrees one day, and you have two feet of snow over the next 48 hours.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife publishes harvest statistics for all the GMU's and you will see that overall success rates average 15 to 24 percent for most game units, so yes you will work for an elk.

If you want to ask me questions, fire away.  I'll check in every couple of days and try and answer any.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
This should fire you boys up.   Just don’t expect to actually see this when you get here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This should fire you boys up.   Just don’t expect to actually see this when you get here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/5F4A620E-3760-4EB7-8EC7-6FBB9D9DBD27-551945.JPG
View Quote
That looks like the kind of sight you would see when you only have a cow tag in your pocket.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That looks like the kind of sight you would see when you only have a cow tag in your pocket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/5F4A620E-3760-4EB7-8EC7-6FBB9D9DBD27-551945.JPG
Exactly.  I was on private land with a late season cow tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top