Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2018 1:55:03 AM EDT
Ibelong to a Coleman collectors group on Facebook and recently saw a picture of a kit someone put together for their kid's jeep (they live in very rural Rocky Mountains).  I thought "why haven't I thought of that?"

You can find 2 burner Coleman 425 series cheap.  Put in a few dollars in parts and some elbow grease cleaning it up and you have a nice sub $40 2 burner stove.  The cases are huge for these!  You could fit an extra fuel bottle, food and all types of typical kit in it.  Finish it off by wrapping it in a surplus wool blanket and you have a real nice very useful survival kit.

Anyone else thought of or seen similar to this?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I've picked up a couple at yard sales for $5 to $20. A few parts and some elbow grease and they run fine.
I give em to friends for "just in case". They are not hard to keep running if you have some spare parts.
I have one sitting in the garage right now I need to go over along with a brand new one still in the box in the cellar.

They are great for car camping or to have around the house during an outage.
thanks for posting
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both gas and bottle propane Colemans.  My dads power used to go off in summertime due to storms regularly.  I loaned him the propane one so he could "make breakfast" on those days.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got both the Dual Fuel and propane single burner stove and dual mantle lantern from Coleman, but I've never fired up the NIB Dual Fuel stuff.  The propane works fine and while I'd like to have a two burner camping stove, the single burner worked well for me during hurricane IRMA and 84 hours 'in the dark'.

As it was passing, I used it to boil the tea kettle for a pitcher of iced tea!  It worked fine and would support some larger pots and pans.

You never know and even a smaller single burner and 1# propane bottle takes up very little space.  Unless you're cooking for a family of 4, you don't need the added space, IMO and if you have to buy a second one and carry a second bottle, it's still less volume.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I changed exclusively to propane for my hurricane preps before the 2004/2005 ... I have a two burner propane camp stove, but what gets the most use is a single burner (top of 1#bottle sitting vertical) and an inexpensive tail gate grill which saves on clean up as I cook a lot on bamboo skewers.... I did get a dual fuel (Coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline) single burner for a back up
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been using a m1950 for a backup emergency stove.  I just mentioned to my wife this morning that I should order some spare parts in anticipation of hurricane season. I think I'll add a dual burner if I can find one locally.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The only parts a stove will need is a cap gasket providing nothing is damaged by negligent use. Gasoline>propane by far when it comes to scavagenging. One can also keep a propane adapter if wanted.

I wouldn't store propane tanks in a hot summer car..
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Coleman Triton II for my truck camp setup...nice little stove and if you are handy, they are easy to integrate into a drawer or shelf system.

I am in the process of building mine into a better camp kitchen setup.

I see a lot of high end setups using Partner and other brands but frankly they are super expensive and have the same issues other brands have.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...Put in a few dollars in parts and some elbow grease cleaning it up and you have a nice sub $40 2 burner stove...
View Quote
What kinds of parts and elbow grease would be needed?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Have had two coleman two burner dual fuels leak because of o'rings/seals.
One was brand new.

Have a single dual fuel burner that stays in my boat.
Bigger pots can be a challenge.

Have a coleman dual burner propane that goes with us when the whole family goes boating as it is much easier with the bigger pot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
we bought one of these for camping/RV trips and it worked great. I like that we can use those bigger propane bottles from Lowes/HD in a pinch. I found a local propane place that sells adapters that would allow you to power one of these off a big ass 30 pound (or bigger) tank. that seems like a nice option if you're going to use it at home. I got a deal on propane tanks when a neighbor moved, and even though I have a gas generator I always have 4-5 big bottles full for the grill. I also have a big pot boiler that we use for seafood boils and turkey frying that would be good for boiling water or something to purify.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My cheapest two Coleman stoves...

Helping a friend move...Sez...You take that 'cause I can't store it.
free stove

Taking trash to the dump...AAnnnnddd...in the metal pit is a complete 2 burner Coleman stove.
free stove

That said.
I cook outdoors on a camp stove for two thirds of the year.  
I started on Coleman multifuel.
Now I use a propane two burner.

For a survival kit....
Sterno + Fold Flat Sterno Stove + Matches + Canned chilli/soup
or
Propane stove + Pound propane + Matches + Canned chilli/soup
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 3 bulk propane cylinders around for hurricane season, and a hose adapter if needed, but having a fill adapter for the 1# bottles is a whole lot simpler to use...I don't store more than a couple of new bottles, but if a storm is approaching I stick a couple of the old 1# bottles in the freezer for a couple of days to cold soak them... then fill with a bulk cylinder, inverted to get as much liquid as possible...
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Assuming liquid fuel- perhaps a cap gasket and an hour's rebuild and cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the seal on the pump.

I've got three Coleman two burners and a Coleman Peak 1 single burner; one was my grandfather's from the 1950s, one was my folk's from the 1960's and the newest is mine I bought in the mid 80s.  All three and the Coleman fuel Peak 1 single burner work great (as do my lanterns and old catalytic heaters) but I do keep a few spare parts on hand.  I've also got propane adapters for them, a manifold thing and spare hoses to hook up stoves and lanterns to larger propane tanks.  I usually carry the newest stove and a Peak 1 lantern (the brown single mantle backpacking model) when truck camping.

A Jetboil and spare cylinder live in the back of my truck and I've never had any issues with it either but it's not very good for actually cooking like a Coleman stove.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't forget the seal on the pump.
View Quote
It's strange, although it is considered a 'wear item I've had great luck with any pump on a halfway decent stove.

Pre 1980ish had leather pump cup which is better in the cold

If you ever need to oil a pump cup wipe the oil off your dip stick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top