Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2019 1:22:37 AM EDT
I spend a fair amount of time out doors for work and this winter is teaching me my normal work boots probably wouldn't cut it walking home 25 miles through slush and snow. I'm sick of cold feet, so just sprung for a pair of these on Ebay for $80:

https://www.overshoesneos.com/Neos_Overshoes_Navigator_5_Stabilicer.html

I'm gonna wear them on the worst days remaining this year and see how they hold up. Anyone else have any suggestions on cold weather stuff to keep in the truck GHB/box?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Good gear cost money and storage like that isn't great for it. Just throw all your old cold weather clothes in and a sleepingbag for staying in the car.

The one great addition is boot chains/spikes and snow shoes for ice  if doing snow shoes go with spiky ones for pure ice

Also merino wool baselayers are best especially if you are working your ass off but it aint cheap. Especially stocks as this is a boot thread
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep Carhart coveralls, a heavy hoodie, heavy wool socks, cold weather boots and heavy wool watchcap.

I wouldn't have to go very far in my part of the country.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm gonna wear them on the worst days remaining this year and see how they hold up. Anyone else have any suggestions on cold weather stuff to keep in the truck GHB/box?
View Quote
I have a pair of the neos waders.

be advised they are not "wear everyday" type items, they are for limited use. They are nice for certain situation, BUT youd be better off with good boots and wool socks.
If your feet sweat they will get gold no matter what unless you have a vapor barrier
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What is your winter like?

Cold weather gear is really dependent on the conditions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your winter like?

Cold weather gear is really dependent on the conditions.
View Quote
Honestly, it's been all over the place this year. It was in the 30s today, but last week got down to -12F. I'm mostly curious what other guys toss in their trunk incase Murphy strikes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]
In ND (sometimes -25F with -50F wind chills), I keep an GI Arctic parka, set of heavy thermals, expedition weight wool socks, insulated boots, insulated shell pants, fleece balaclava, ski/snowmobile gloves, sleeping bag, and some handwarmers.
That said, hiking to safety during a blizzard is a good way to get lost and die.  My set up is more to stay warm and wait for help or better conditions.

In Sub-Zero temps and winds, it is important to cover all skin with at least one layer. (3-layer wicking/warming/weathering is preferred)
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Aramark has a website and sometimes they have some good sales.  I bought some monster coveralls that are insulated from them.  Would basically only be for walking home in the winter, or sleeping in vehicle in winter.

Footwear, you have to test for yourself.  Depending on what socks I wear my cold tolerance varies.

I bought coveralls or overalls or whatever last year, but they still send me emails so something exists.

They won't last as long as good heavy duty stuff.  But for my use, they can live in vehicle and in summer they work great as a pillow.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Its worked so far and you can get all this stuff on the cheap - size up so you can layer.

Upper body: 1) French military fleece shirt 2)mil-tech ecwcs parka with fleece liner  3)French Goretex parka  4)Knit cap
Lower Body: 2) Thermal pants  2) Whatever combat pant  3) Goretex barrier pant like army ecwcs
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Snowboarding gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top