Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2020 8:14:15 PM EDT
This was my first year deer hunting, and I hunted from the ground.  I’m thinking of getting a climbing stand for next year.  I want one that has a decent rifle test, not one that just has the bar at waist level.

Any suggestions?  I am thinking something like this:

https://olmanoutdoors.com/product/multivision/
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Tree Lounge.  It's large but solid as a rock and extremely comfortable for long times.  Heard though that they're no longer made.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This was my first year deer hunting, and I hunted from the ground.  I’m thinking of getting a climbing stand for next year.  I want one that has a decent rifle test, not one that just has the bar at waist level.

Any suggestions?  I am thinking something like this:

https://olmanoutdoors.com/product/multivision/
View Quote
That'll certainly do. The climbing bar on stands like the Summit Viper is usually a perfectly adequate rest though.

ETA: Make sure you get an aluminum stand. Steel stands are heavy as fuck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Summit,  but all climbers pretty much suck. It's almost impossible to walk into the woods in the dark and find a good tree to climb. I usually will go the day before and just leave it on the tree. Depending how high you go, yourhave to adjust the platform so your sitting level. It's not small task doing it in the dark, not to mention it's noisy. I much prefer hang on stands with tree steps or ladder sections. You can usually get away with hanging the stand and taking the last two steps or ladder sections to prevent someone from stealing your stand. If I'm hunting my property or a lease, I always go with a ladder stand. Get the biggest, tallest one you can find. It makes sitting all morning a lot more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Summit,  but all climbers pretty much suck. It's almost impossible to walk into the woods in the dark and find a good tree to climb. I usually will go the day before and just leave it on the tree. Depending how high you go, you have to adjust the platform so you sitting level. Again, it's not fun or quiet doing it in the dark. I much prefer hang on stands with tree steps or ladder sections. You can usually get away with hanging the stand and taking the last two steps or ladder sections.
View Quote
Where do you live that this is the case?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve gone to climbing sticks and a quick hang on stand.  Lone wolf makes sticks and a stand that chokes up super quick, much quieter than a climber, and you’re not limited to a straight tree.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Buckshot bigshot, face the tree and use the tree as a rest. I use a dog leash clip to hang my backpack off of the back and sling my rifle over my neck.
https://www.buckshotmfg.com/www.buckshotmfg.com/buckshot-bigshot-ts-2.aspx
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with AL25 that all climbers pretty much suck. I have a Lone Wolf and it's not comfortable like my lock on stands are but it is lightweight, easy to set up and fairly quiet. Summit makes climbers that look pretty comfortable and also have options as far as a rifle rest. Whatever stand you end up going with make sure to get a quality safety harness. People get hurt here in my area every year from falling out of treestands.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Tree Lounge.  It's large but solid as a rock and extremely comfortable for long times.  Heard though that they're no longer made.
View Quote
If you are hunting private land or land where you do not have to worry about a stand getting stolen I highly recommend a Tree-Lounge. I have two and have had one for almost twenty five years.
They are big and heavy so they need to really be set up prior to your hunt. They are so safe and comfortable that I have no problem dozing off in them (strapped in of course).

While they are no longer made they can be found on CL from time to time. If you go this route try to get the last version with bow hunting adapter that has the tubular floor and not the plywood.

As I recall someone made a gun rest for them but in reality you do not need one because of how you are seated.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree 100% with those touting a quick hang stand and climbing sticks.

I carried a Summit Viper for many years and that thing just plain sucked to carry in and get set up in the dark without making a ton of racket.
Happen to start climbing a tree that is a not quite straight, you end up sitting on a down angle all morning or have to drop back to the ground and re-adjust the cable.
Set up properly it was very comfortable but the hassle of getting in and out of the woods with it outweighed the comfort.

I use a Chippewa Wedge-loc stand and Lone Wolf climbing sticks now.
Takes me less time to set up, much quieter getting set up, and can accommodate a number of things the climber could not like low branches or a tree that was not completely straight. The other benefit is I can leave the chain up in the tree, making is very quick to set up the stand again on another day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Long Wolf climber and every time I use it its an adventure.  Definitely know what you are doing, practice before season, and use all the straps and harness' that you should.  I had a buddy have one fall out from underneath him and he was only saved by his harness.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top