Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/6/2020 1:04:17 PM EDT
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51000910

A mysterious viral pneumonia that has infected dozens in central China is not Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars), health chiefs have said.

They also discounted bird flu and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, and said investigations were continuing.
View Quote
Update:

Cases have tripled over the weekend.  US now screening all passengers traveling from China.  It has spread to Japan, Thailand and Taiwan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51171035

Update:

The BBC has just release a new alert saying the Chinese government has shut down all mass transit in and out of Wuhan where the illness started.

Those living in the city have been advised not to leave, in a week when millions of Chinese are travelling for the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday.

The airport and train stations will be closed to outgoing passengers.

Bus, subway, ferry, and long-distance transport networks will shut down from 1000 local time on 23 January.

Those living in Wuhan had already been told to avoid crowds and minimise public gatherings.
View Quote
Update:

The death toll has tripled in one day.

The outbreak has killed 17 people, and there are more than 500 confirmed cases.
View Quote
Update:

- China has over 50 million people on lockdown
- infected is around 4,000 people
- around 100 people have died
- it can transfer person to person
- incubation period, before someone shows sickness, can be up to 14 days.  They are contagious during this time period much like the current flu I.e. contagious prior to having symptoms
- Here's the breakdown as it stands:

China: 2,737 confirmed cases

Hong Kong: 8 confirmed cases

Macau: 8 confirmed cases

Thailand: 8 confirmed cases

US: 5 confirmed cases

Australia: 4 confirmed cases

Taiwan: 4 confirmed cases

Japan: 4 confirmed cases

Malaysia: 4 confirmed cases

Singapore: 4 confirmed cases

France: 3 confirmed cases

South Korea: 3 confirmed cases

Vietnam: 2 confirmed cases

Canada: 1 presumptive case

Nepal: 1 confirmed case
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
A good pandemic has to start somewhere....
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Officials now confirm while not SARs it is a coronavirus more similar to SARs then anything else.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I am at Regions hospital in St Paul today getting some studies done. I was asked if I have been in contact with anyone who has traveled the last 3 weeks, not just the usual "have you traveled the last 3 weeks".
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
China. It's always China.

Or Africa.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
What’s  the mortality rate on this?  I see they still haven’t figured out the origin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
China. It's always China.

Or Africa.
View Quote
A lot of deep forests and jungle that have places such diseases can hide for years/decades/centuries until someone stumbles into one of those places.  I'm surprised we don't see more out of South America.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
China has confirmed its now passing person to person.  At least 15 medical personnel have become infected.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Pneumonia is usually the caused by a secondary infection.

As others have asked what is the death rate?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve read World War Z and this is how it starts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ve read World War Z and this is how it starts.
View Quote
Have any of them gotten back up yet? And are they getting bitey? I'm not bugging out until they start getting bitey. I know that's a bit late but if I go earlier I'd be bugging out weekly I think.

Seriously though, always a concern because we never know which one is gonna be nothing and which one turns into a big issue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
In before Madagascar closes borders.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
China has reported 6 dead with 300 identified sickened.  What is that?  2%?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I know I'm going to sound awful here but it's China so ok with it spreading there and creating havoc.  Not ok with it coming here obviously.  Really have no care for china whatsoever
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So maybe 30 dead?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
See that it’s in Japan now and 3 cases in Canada.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#19]
so what should people wear; dust masks from hd or something else

that is provided it does continue to spread in super fashion
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Just confirmed first case in Washington state.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like I’ll be avoiding Costco and Spring Mountain Road for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What do we actually know about this?
View Quote
Honestly not much and who knows what the real truth is given how China handles these things:

1.) This is a coronavirus, the same family that can give you the common cold or SARS.  A coronavirus is very common in animals but only 7 known types can ingect humans (this is the 7th).
2.) It can pass form human to human, but the CDC has said its cant pass as easily as the common cold or viral pneuomonia which are highly contagious
3.) There are 317 reported cases worldwide as reported by various governments.  China is thought to be underreporting the sicknesses and deaths as they did with SARS.
4.) There are 6 deaths worldwide as reported by various governments
5.) China has said it originated at a seafood market in WuHan
6.) It is very similar to SARS, its more similar to SARS then any other coronavirus
7.) It is causing pneumonia like issues in humans, however not as sever as SARS or MERS
8.) The World Health Organiztion is setting an emergency meeting for Jan 22
9.) The one US patient actually turned himself in when he became sick knowing he had traveled to Wuhan
10.) Its been noted in China, Thailand, Japan, Korea and the US
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
so what should people wear; dust masks from hd or something else

that is provided it does continue to spread in super fashion
View Quote
Wash your hands and avoid people who sneeze or cough without covering themselves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Dr. Niman has been quite vocal on the subject of pandemics for over 20 years with much controversy.

Take this as a source data point with fairly current disease info. [Hourly]

I'm not endorsing the site. We will be able to evaluate Dr. Niman's positions in the days to come.

http://recombinomics.co/discover/
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What do we actually know about this?
View Quote
Not too much re: the number of infections and deaths in China probably, as they are notoriously evasive...uh...---they lie a lot.

It's still too early, give it a couple days.

How many saved their Tamiflu after the last scare in 2006????

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Being a new “novel" virus that has HTH transmission should make us think. If this pops off, 3M- N95/100 masks will be hot commodity. May have to stock up on Moldex.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Are these virus being weaponized??

Maybe not to kill mass numbers, but just to slow down

Chinese competitors??
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are these virus being weaponized??

Maybe not to kill mass numbers, but just to slow down

Chinese competitors??
View Quote
As the CDC epidemiologist told the DHS official who asked the same question in the movie Contagion, "You don't have to weaponize the flu "

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/75efb012-6219-42a6-b7a4-1c7723dff807
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Sum Ting Wong
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#32]
They can screen for passengers from fine all they want.... But if it's in Thailand, it's out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#33]
It's been confirmed in the US now.  A traveler from China came down with it on 1/16 in Seattle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Anybody know where I can order some  forsythia from?

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Update

China is now restricting travel to WuHan (source of the infection) and telling residents they may not leave WuHan. They also have found the source.

There are 440 confirmed cases, with the origin a seafood market that "conducted illegal transactions of wild animals".
View Quote
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51202000
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
China has confirmed its now passing person to person.  At least 15 medical personnel have become infected.
View Quote
The problem was that the medical personnel were wearing "protective clothing".  i.e. at least a mask, gloves and gown, if not a complete air sealed suit! That means this may require special masks and clothing and N95 and N100 masks are no sufficient.

There is special multilayered disposable anti-viral masks that medical personnel use that is available for sale but they're expensive.  If its not multilayered I would not consider them safe.

If anyone finds them cheap, post a link.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#40]
This isn't GD. Read the forum rules before posting. ~Waldo
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Update

China is now restricting travel to WuHan (source of the infection) and telling residents they may not leave WuHan. They also have found the source.

View Quote
My in-laws from Wuhan were supposed to come to the US in a couple weeks but have cancelled their plans.  They also cancelled all their New Year plans and aren't going out.  The word there is it's much worse than the CCP is letting known.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The problem was that the medical personnel were wearing "protective clothing".  i.e. at least a mask, gloves and gown, if not a complete air sealed suit! That means this may require special masks and clothing and N95 and N100 masks are no sufficient.

There is special multilayered disposable anti-viral masks that medical personnel use that is available for sale but they're expensive.  If its not multilayered I would not consider them safe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your source for that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My in-laws from Wuhan were supposed to come to the US in a couple weeks but have cancelled their plans.  They also cancelled all their New Year plans and aren't going out.  The word there is it's much worse than the CCP is letting known.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update

@m14fun

The BBC has just release a new alert saying the Chinese government has shut down all mass transit in and out of Wuhan.

Those living in the city have been advised not to leave, in a week when millions of Chinese are travelling for the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday.

The airport and train stations will be closed to outgoing passengers.

Bus, subway, ferry, and long-distance transport networks will shut down from 1000 local time on 23 January.

Those living in Wuhan had already been told to avoid crowds and minimise public gatherings.
https://apnews.com/902c9f9f551d55b227b3d754f42aad50?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Update:

Death toll has tripled in one day to 17, infected is now up to 500.  Authorities now beleive the infection is spreading through the respiratory tract meaning it is airborne.

The outbreak has killed 17 people, and there are more than 500 confirmed cases.
View Quote
"its airborn"

Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Which mask for corona virus?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#46]
They lost control of their bio weapon program
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4826964/

https://virologytidbits.blogspot.com/2014/04/tamiflu-and-zanamivir-are-they.html

So what is the conclusion? Both oseltamivir and zanamivir seem to offer some protection and alleviation of symptoms. The core of the problem seems however that pharmaceutical companies often withhold data from clinical studies - this however is not unique to antiviral drugs. In the end, people may realize that getting vaccinated in the first place might be the best prophylactic. Finally, more antiviral drugs need to be developed. Two recently identified promising candidates include resveratrol and epigallocatechin gallate, both plant derived polyphenols and can be found in green tea as well as red wine. Isoquercetin has been shown to prevent the formation of oseltamivir and amantadine resistant virus particles, thus being another potential antiviral drug.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am at Regions hospital in St Paul today getting some studies done. I was asked if I have been in contact with anyone who has traveled the last 3 weeks, not just the usual "have you traveled the last 3 weeks".
View Quote
That has been on the intake questionnaire since the Ebola incident here in the Dallas area.
Just that they may be more diligent in asking all the questions on the list now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@m14fun

The BBC has just release a new alert saying the Chinese government has shut down all mass transit in and out of Wuhan.

https://apnews.com/902c9f9f551d55b227b3d754f42aad50?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
View Quote
Yeah the airport is now shutdown. Also all public transportation is shut down.

In December there were 8 people arrested for saying this thing was worse than what the local news was reporting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Update:

Death toll has tripled in one day to 17, infected is now up to 500.  Authorities now beleive the infection is spreading through the respiratory tract meaning it is airborne.

"its airborn"

https://cdn.worldsciencefestival.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/outbreak.jpg
View Quote
If it is a coronavirus it speads extremely easy through the air.  Coronavirus is one of the causes of the common cold (although obviously most strains aren't lethal).

SARS was a type of coronavirus.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top