Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2023 4:45:41 PM EDT
We got three chickens for our daughters to show at 4H. They were sexed and all three are Easter egger females. We got them in February and the show is this upcoming Tuesday. As they’ve grown, one in particular is extra feisty and protective. Looks kinda rooster-ish to our untrained eyes. So what say the experts about the red one? Male or female? We’ll ask at the 4H event and see what they say but I figured I’d pose the question here (it was actually Mrs. JKnight’s idea).
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The small wattle makes it bit hard to be positive it's a rooster. If it is, the wattle and comb will grow quickly as it ages.

I had an ameraucana rooster a couple years ago, 'feisty' is being kind, the hens have a great attitude, but the rooster I had would go after my border collie, viscous bird.

ETA  corrected my terminology
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So far, this is the only one to start growing a comb. The tail feathers and neck feathers also seem rooster-like. Those rooster pictures above seem to fit pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far, this is the only one to start growing a comb. The tail feathers and neck feathers also seem rooster-like. Those rooster pictures above seem to fit pretty well.
View Quote

Comb is one of the worst indicators. I have a hen with a comb that puts my roosters to shame.

Look at the hackle feathers, compare to the known hens. Roosters hackle feathers are pointed, hens rounded. Pay attention to the actual feather, not the pattern of the feather.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Comb is one of the worst indicators. I have a hen with a comb that puts my roosters to shame.

Look at the hackle feathers, compare to the known hens. Roosters hackle feathers are pointed, hens rounded. Pay attention to the actual feather, not the pattern of the feather.
View Quote

The hackle feathers initially look pointed but under close observation that’s a trick of the pattern. They have the same shape as the other two (rounded).
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The hackle feathers initially look pointed but under close observation that’s a trick of the pattern. They have the same shape as the other two (rounded).
View Quote

Sounds highly likely it's a hen. The pattern is why I said look carefully. I'm not sure why but some of them have a pattern that makes it look pointed but the actual feather is round.

It also sounds a lot like my hen with a large comb. Her pattern looks pointed but the features are round. She lays eggs, and she goes broody just like a regular hen...
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like a roo, I assume its not crowing yet, give it time as its almost old enough.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sounds highly likely it's a hen. The pattern is why I said look carefully. I'm not sure why but some of them have a pattern that makes it look pointed but the actual feather is round.

It also sounds a lot like my hen with a large comb. Her pattern looks pointed but the features are round. She lays eggs, and she goes broody just like a regular hen...
View Quote

I appreciate the help! Had you not advised looking beyond the pattern, I never would have scrutinized enough. Looks like we’ve got 3 hens which is a relief. Our oldest daughter wasn’t keen on the idea of eating her chicken if it turned out to be a rooster. She’s ok with eating other chickens (like the store bought ones I grilled last night) - just not hers  
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I appreciate the help! Had you not advised looking beyond the pattern, I never would have scrutinized enough. Looks like we’ve got 3 hens which is a relief. Our oldest daughter wasn’t keen on the idea of eating her chicken if it turned out to be a rooster. She’s ok with eating other chickens (like the store bought ones I grilled last night) - just not hers  
View Quote

I hear you...just took my son's steer to the butcher today. He chose not to help load him, couldn't bear to look him in the eyes knowing what was to come. To be honest, it broke my heart a little. He was a sweet guy raised from a bottle and spent a few weeks in our garage bc he was sick. My son latched onto him and named him, he was a big 1300 lb puppy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hear you...just took my son's steer to the butcher today. He chose not to help load him, couldn't bear to look him in the eyes knowing what was to come. To be honest, it broke my heart a little. He was a sweet guy raised from a bottle and spent a few weeks in our garage bc he was sick. My son latched onto him and named him, he was a big 1300 lb puppy.
View Quote

That’s always hard at first. I remember the first calf my dad bought to raise. Got sick and died that winter and my siblings and I took it pretty hard.

I hope your boy does ok with it and doesn’t get sad at dinner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That’s always hard at first. I remember the first calf my dad bought to raise. Got sick and died that winter and my siblings and I took it pretty hard.

I hope your boy does ok with it and doesn’t get sad at dinner.
View Quote

Thankfully we don't have to eat him. We filled our freezer with one that went to the butcher last month. That guy was a jerk that nobody liked and the kids didn't pick a name for him. The named one is sold to a few coworkers.

I think it's definitely much harder with bottle calves that you form a bond with. I have no problem sending the beef steers that were weaned on their mother out in the pasture. They don't ever form that bond bc they form it with their mother.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Update: had the chicken show yesterday. Oldest daughter took 4th place in showmanship and 2nd daughter took 5th place in best of breed. This was in their respective runs of about 10 and not the overall (had about 200 chickens there so it was a big event and took a while for the judges to get through them all!) 3rd daughter didn’t win anything but I’m awarding her for “Most Brave” because she did a great job showing her chicken at only 5 and held onto her despite getting a big scratch on her arm.

One of the judges said chicken in question was a rooster and a couple other people commented on it. I guess the jury is still out but we should know for sure over the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#13]
My philosophy is, they’re all roosters till they lay an egg .
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm going with it's a rooster.  The tail tells the tale.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
@JKnight

Was it a hen or rooster?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm going with it's a rooster.  The tail tells the tale.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#17]
And you had to share these deep feelings of angst in a tech forum?

Please take that elsewhere.

~Kitties
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]

@JKnight

100% cock.
saddle, hackle, and tail feather all indicate it's a Roo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I say rooster due to attitude.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry it’s taken me a bit to get back, I’ve been out of town for work. Yep, it’s a rooster. I’ll try to get a picture this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When we lost our rooster a few years back, one of the hens grew spurs and started crowing.

No lie.

She morphed.  Kind of.

I know she was trying to save the species, but if she was their hope, they were in trouble.

Just sayin.

ETA:  We called her the Henster.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

I took this a few days ago. This morning I was making coffee and he started crowing. We’re trying to find a new home for this guy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When we lost our rooster a few years back, one of the hens grew spurs and started crowing.

No lie.

She morphed.  Kind of.

I know she was trying to save the species, but if she was their hope, they were in trouble.

Just sayin.

ETA:  We called her the Henster.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/420595/R_jpg-2839588.JPG

This is the same thing I was thinking when I read that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top