Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2020 4:06:13 PM EDT
I'm going out on my first charter in 48 years.  Gonna be going for yellowtails, bluefins, yellowfins, bonita and bass species.  Done a lot of fishing off of the piers and surf but never off of a charter.  I'm gonna be using a Stella SW6000HG reel but had a question about the rod length.  Unfortunately, all of my saltwater poles are 10'-12' in length which I believe is too large for a charter.  Any suggestions on a typical rod length.  I've never used a trolling or baitcaster reel so not gonna try to use this even though I know that this is much more common on boats.  Gonna hit up the local Turners Outdoorsman and ask some questions but thought maybe someone here may have some good suggestions on a typical rod length (and even brand) to use.  Also, is it suggested to use a heavy rod or a medium-heavy rod for the boats?  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Most charters provide the tackle, unless you're going on one of the big boats that take 50 or more people. Suggest you check with your captain before buying anything new.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Most boat rods are 6.5-7' medium heavy to heavy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Most charters provide the tackle, unless you're going on one of the big boats that take 50 or more people. Suggest you check with your captain before buying anything new.
View Quote

Yes, this is a large boat.  Typically takes 55-65 people out, but is currently taking no more than 27 people out at a time.  Yes, I do plan to check with them at the launch ramp, but figured I get a few pointers here.  Thanks for replying as I do appreciate the advice.

Originally Posted By OldHenryRifle:
Most boat rods are 6.5-7' medium heavy to heavy.
View Quote

Thanks a lot for this information.  I found this to be the case as I went to a local fishing and tackle store.  I recently got a 7.5 foot medium heavy rod to pair with my Stella SW 6000HG reel.  Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
We went in a small (6 people) charter over Labor Day weekend.  My brother in law showed up with his two rods and tackle and the boat captain told him to put them back in his car.  If you’re going trolling, they won’t let you bring anything as it creates problems for the crew.  There are too many variables to screw up the day   Charters run efficiently with a proven system in order to maximize fish caught.   They can’t have some yahoo getting his line tangled in their lines
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kingfish:
We went in a small (6 people) charter over Labor Day weekend.  My brother in law showed up with his two rods and tackle and the boat captain told him to put them back in his car.  If you’re going trolling, they won’t let you bring anything as it creates problems for the crew.  There are too many variables to screw up the day   Charters run efficiently with a proven system in order to maximize fish caught.   They can’t have some yahoo getting his line tangled in their lines
View Quote

Definitely don't consider myself a "yahoo" even though I may not be an expert at charter boats, lol.  With that being said, the boat that I'm going on is 80' long and typically made for charters of much more than 6 people.  Rods are available to rent for $20, however everyone can certainly bring their own gear and tackle unless you are going to purchase gear from the boat for a much higher price.  In any regards thanks for the feedback and I don't think that I would go on a charter where you are required to use the gear of the boat captain.  Would not seem to be as fun especially when it's my money that I'm paying with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
How was the fishing?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
How was the fishing?
View Quote

It turned out really well...for many of the anglers except me and a few others.  I did not catch anything but my friend did which was cool.  We targeted only bluefin tuna since the captain was able to find a large school of them.  All together there were 40 tuna caught for 27 anglers.  We would have caught more, but the US Navy informed the captain that the boat had to leave.  I'm not sure why, as smaller boats were allowed to stay, but this resulted in us simply traveling looking for other schools which we never found.  I'm already planning my next trip however and plan to get one.  Less than a week later, the same boat caught the largest bluefin caught off of the Newport Landing boats.  The article can be found here...

https://stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/9624-newport-landing-s-thunderbird-has-record-bluefin-100220#:~:text=Aboard%20a%20two%2Dday%20charter,years%20ago%20(since%201958).&text=The%20two%2Dday%20charter%2C%20which,27%2C%20had%2018%20passengers%20onboard
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#8]
Dang, fishing is called fishing, not catching! You have to keep going. There are good days, and clearly bad days. Your day will come. Thanks for the reply!

https://stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/9624-newport-landing-s-thunderbird-has-record-bluefin-100220#:~:text=Aboard%20a%20two%2Dday%20charter,years%20ago%­20(since%201958).&text=The%20two%2Dday%20charter%2C%20which,27%2C%20­had%2018%20passengers%20onboard

ETA: I cross posted this to GD, but thought I did so in advance..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top