Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2018 1:33:56 AM EDT
I have recently been made aware of the survival uses of cattails.  Does anyone know of a book that documents the extensive uses of cattails as a food source?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about a dedicated book on cattails, but I can send you a few PDF articles if you PM me your email address
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Cattails do have uses, mostly as a starch substitute. Roofing, shelter. As a food Let me tell you it is far from ideal. So much work for what you get, also tastes like dirty hippy bush twat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the American Indians ate it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They did but they also ate acorns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Acorns, along with cattails, are good when you prepare them correctly.

That goes for a bunch of your "normal" food, too. Go grab a green bean off the vine and eat it. It's pretty nasty.

Problem with cattails is they have a very narrow band of time for harvest for the different parts. Then again, that same thing applies to a lot of the veggies we love.

OP, I don't know of any book dedicated to the cattail. The uses for the plant go from food to medicine to raw manufacturing material. So, you'll likely do best by getting some books on wild edible plants, and medicine and some on aboriginal building skills. Mostly Eastern Woodland Indians would be  the ones to look for.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know about a dedicated book on cattails, but I can send you a few PDF articles if you PM me your email address
View Quote
I'd be in for those PDFs if the offer still stands.

I can't seem to find it, but I seem to recall an article about the US had plans to cultivate cattails for starch if WW2 would have continued beyond 1945, due to the high starch yield of the plant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top