Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2022 4:39:28 PM EDT
I am looking for recommendations on brands of tents for family car camping.  My main focus is making sure everyone is “comfortable”.  What I mean by “comfortable” is the tent will not cause problems with rips and whatnot.  The focus is on the outdoors with the tent being an essential afterthought.

Weight is not an issue.  It’s true car camping.  Temperatures will be as low as 30 at night to the 70s at night.

So far I’ve been looking at Kelty and Coleman.  Any other brands I should look into?  Budget is $250 for a tent in the 6 person dimension category.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Some thoughts, having done a fair bit of car camping when a kid, on my own, and with my step-kids growing up:

- No need to throw big money at a brand name, those are fine.  In a worse-case scenario, you get in the car.  It’s not backcountry trekking.  I have a nice TNF for backpacking; way overkill for car camping.
- I sure prefer two smaller tents to one large one.  Get the kids off in another one and not in yours. +++. Also easier set-up usually. Divide the labor, let some do one tent and another, the other.
- Don’t forget ground mattress and inflation gear (and back-up) if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s been a good while since I’ve tent camped or even looked at the available options, but back when we had a tent hunt camp I was giving serious consideration to just buying a Coleman InstaTent or whatever they call the ones that have the tent permanently attached to a frame that only take a minute to put up.  Like the other poster above said, car camping means you don’t need anything all that fantastic.  Something mid grade can work for that- I just like to run seam sealer along all seams in a new tent.  

See if they still make these InstaTents- when I first saw them it looked appealing for a spacious, easy-to-setup tent.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Gazelle T4 or T8. Set up in seconds, do fantastic in heavy rain, have tons of headroom.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR45fan] [#4]
A cheap Coleman is probably the right call.  They're heavy and bulky but perfect for car camping.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want the best weather resistance make sure to get one with a full coverage fly instead of having a fly the just covers the top of the tent. Don't know where you are but I have a Eureka Grand Manan Tour I'm getting ready to sell for 200.00. Great tent, just never use it because I have lots of other tents and I don't need one that big.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeteye] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lockman:
If you want the best weather resistance make sure to get one with a full coverage fly instead of having a fly the just covers the top of the tent. Don't know where you are but I have a Eureka Grand Manan Tour I'm getting ready to sell for 200.00. Great tent, just never use it because I have lots of other tents and I don't need one that big.
View Quote
Heres the one I have been eye balling for 2 yrs. Perfect size for most tent pads in state parks

Coleman for the win

https://a.co/d/4luChSb
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
NTK and Big Agnes make some nice tents.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Another feature that is somewhat new but nice are blackout tents, especially if you don't like waking up at the crack of dawn. I slept a few nights this summer in a friends Coleman with "blackout technology" and if I was in the market for a new front country tent I would definitely get a tent with it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WTAW:
I am looking for recommendations on brands of tents for family car camping.  My main focus is making sure everyone is “comfortable”.  What I mean by “comfortable” is the tent will not cause problems with rips and whatnot.  The focus is on the outdoors with the tent being an essential afterthought.

Weight is not an issue.  It’s true car camping.  Temperatures will be as low as 30 at night to the 70s at night.

So far I’ve been looking at Kelty and Coleman.  Any other brands I should look into?  Budget is $250 for a tent in the 6 person dimension category.
View Quote

For car camping, those two are 100% fine.  They're heavy, but hold up.

FWIW, my big-ass Coleman *feels* cheaper than my big-ass Kelty, but neither of them have ever torn or given be trouble, so... pick whichever is better for you.  Watch Costco, they get the big-ass ones on for decent prices.

Also, if you want to make the family comfy, get folding cots with foam pads to sleep on, and a tent big enough to fit them all.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lockman:
Another feature that is somewhat new but nice are blackout tents, especially if you don't like waking up at the crack of dawn. I slept a few nights this summer in a friends Coleman with "blackout technology" and if I was in the market for a new front country tent I would definitely get a tent with it.
View Quote

That's what I was going to recommend, OP.
Not from first hand experience but have been doing doing the research.
My background is stupid ridiculous backcountry backpacking.  Looking at doing more family friendly car camping trips and the aforementioned "blackout" tents are absolutely on my radar.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Coleman is fine for car camping.  We have a "Carls Bad" dark room one and it works great.  No leaks and easy top set up
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top