Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/13/2021 10:04:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21]
Hey guys… been awhile since I’ve been around but being a fishing guide has made me a busy man. After years I’m finally decided to post some daily photos of my charters. I’ll try to post often and answer any questions you all will have. I’m a bit rusty but I think I’ll get the hang of posting videos and photos again here… Slug-O

Yesterday’s trip was up in Mayport fishing the jetties for Mangos and redfish. We did extremely well  but the sharks were just terrible and we lost 5 fish to the “Mayport Squirrels”. Damn things would chase the fish and ram the boat while trying to eat it. Not once but twice my trolling motor was attacked. On the second attack a shark bit the “prop” blade off and I had to head in as it’s a new boat and didn’t have a spare with me. Yes those are teeth marks on my new motor

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Always enjoy OP's thread. A bullshark was the most likely suspect for biting random stuff that makes them mad, like trolling motors.
I like to call them Hillary sharks. Nasty creatures.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome back Captain. I've been wondering what you've been up to. Glad you're doing good brother.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slug-O] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Real:
Welcome back Captain. I've been wondering what you've been up to. Glad you're doing good brother.
View Quote

Doing great. The bite is on!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome back!

For those that don't know you can hear Capt. Dana on Thursday nights on the fishing forecast show located on Itunes at TheOutdoorsShow.

Looking forward to your posts!  Your enthusiasm is undeniable!
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Good to see you back, Capt.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PR361:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PR361:
Good to see you back, Capt.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Had the boat in the shop the last two days getting the trolling motor repaired and having Minnkota 10’ Raptors put on. I like these over the Power Poles as the same remote that works the trolling motor also works the raptors.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey there... good to see you posting and doing well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Thought someone brought an old thread to life when I saw it was started by Slug-O.  Glad to see you back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Shore bound fisherman...

Been off work for past week, did 4 days at Matanzas and got rained on and skunked pretty much. Had a hard time even catching bait w/ the cast net.

Hit Shell Mound Sunday, caught 2 sharks and some bigger catfish.  Hit it again yesterday, caught some bigger catfish, saw two upper slot sized reds pulled in, and watched a lady loose large black drum three times...

Today is last day of vacay, will be back on Shell Mound pier by noon....

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Nice Skeeter - still have the Mitzi skiff?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slug-O:
Had the boat in the shop the last two days getting the trolling motor repaired and having Minnkota 10’ Raptors put on. I like these over the Power Poles as the same remote that works the trolling motor also works the raptors.
https://i.imgur.com/Q85yyul.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hjB1LrE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BtDbX1y.jpg

Nice Skeeter - still have the Mitzi skiff?

Slowly building the business… on my third boat now. This is as big as I plan on going….

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a good day overall…. Started at 7am fishing the incoming tide at Mayport. Lots of “Mangos” and we caught our limit easy. No problems with sharks today….caught a slot red and lost another and we decided to head inshore and try to get a “Bullred”. Done by 11am and back at the dock.

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:40:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slug-O] [#18]
Nice day fishing the rocks again. Damn  “Mayport Squirrels”, aka sharks kept us busy as they will eat anything that gives them a chance. No tarpon today. Trolling motor or battery seems weak and I know I charged the batteries last night. Going to swap out the TM for my spare and I’m going to test a 15 pitch prop on the 200 Yamaha and see how my hole shot is and fuel economy…

EDIT… one of my three trolling motor batteries shit the bed. Damn AGMs.. those group 31s weigh almost 90lbs each… I switched them out to Relion Rb100 Lithiums at 29lbs each. Saves 180lbs in the boat!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Tough last two days. I went south today to St A and found fish finally that wanted to eat…. Ended with 7 reds. Six of the reds were over slot so we only kept one. Stayed out longer but I really didn’t have any plans and now here I sit at the bar!!!

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Some nice reds!

Where are you finding tarpon around here?
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
Some nice reds!

Where are you finding tarpon around here?
View Quote

I’m currently running from Mayport to Vilano right now chasing the bite…
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting. I know one place in the area with a tarpon hole but it's nice to see them elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been hooking them almost daily. Sadly, they just keep cutting, and shaking me off.
(Brevard)
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Good to see you back around Dana…

Keep’em Tight lines my friend
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nowgrn4] [#25]
Nice rig! A friend has a very similar rig. One look at the robust stringer integrated half inch aluminum plate transom reinforcement on a Skeeter and you know their built like no other.

Very impressive feature to those that actually know boats.

Edit. Just looked it up, Skeeter calls it their "Aluminum torque transfer transom & Stringer System".
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slug-O] [#26]
Morning trip cut short due to lightning but we still caught a few and lost even more. Big reds around structure tend to break off often. Cut crab for the day was key and I had a 10” mullet out the back that a tarpon took a shot at and missed unfortunately… Guide tip…… have a pair of “ski goggles” for the rain, it’s amazing how nice it helps!!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll have to remember the ski mask thing. Got caught about 10 mi from the river while out in the Gulf and couldn't get back fast enough. Stung like hell getting pelted (I swear there was some hail in there also). It was hard as hell to see going 20 knots and getting hit with rain.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slug-O] [#28]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
I'll have to remember the ski mask thing. Got caught about 10 mi from the river while out in the Gulf and couldn't get back fast enough. Stung like hell getting pelted (I swear there was some hail in there also). It was hard as hell to see going 20 knots and getting hit with rain.
View Quote

As you can tell… I’m happy with goggles on and my client was wishing he had a pair too
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Good call.
??
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]
We really need a “Like Button” on here!

Awesome updates, thanks for taking the time to post the reports and pictures!
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Trolling motor issues today. No clue what the problem was. All working fine then dead. Thought I’d was a breaker but it wasn’t. Took all the battery leads apart checking and rechecking and found nothing. … then it started working again.  It’s damn tough to slip up on fish with the main motor. Got one to eat and then took the couple out for an enjoyable boat ride of St Augustine. All in all they were happy and that’s what matters…
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a red to be proud of. Like the spots.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice fish! I’d love to get out on the water with you one day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally a day with no boat problems. Last two days I was chasing a battery problem. Got that all taken care of yesterday and zero problems today which made for a nice day. Mangos, trout, sheep’s were on the Mayport menu today. I was surprised with today’s tip as a bottle of bourbon “blantons”!!!

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Tough day. Damn sharks were eating everything that we hooked.. I finally gave up and went in for Mangos and got really not that much. Sharks are just out of control
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
Nice fish! I’d love to get out on the water with you one day.
View Quote

#METOO

I’m about six hours away but I like road trips.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#38]
It is great to see you are doing well Slugo.

I often wonder how you and other Fl Crew are doing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I havent been fishing in 2 months and its killing me.  Buddy just got a new Egret and we will hopefully be out in the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bronze:
I havent been fishing in 2 months and its killing me.  Buddy just got a new Egret and we will hopefully be out in the next couple of weeks.
View Quote

Egret makes a sweet boat for sure… is it an 18’ or a 21’??
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Egret makes a sweet boat for sure is it an 18' or a 21'??
View Quote

His is the 189 it comes in just under "19
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Slowly building the business… on my third boat now. This is as big as I plan on going….
View Quote

I'm just going to quote this and leave it here, and hope that I remember it in a year or two when you come back here to show us your new Viking...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By GreatDane:

I'm just going to quote this and leave it here, and hope that I remember it in a year or two when you come back here to show us your new Viking...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56523/64Cmain_jpg-2060162.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreatDane:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56523/64Cmain_jpg-2060162.JPG

Man that’s nice but the biggest I run is a 39’ FrontRunner owned my golfer Cameron Smith. Great guy and a pretty good golfer too i must say
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Jesus it’s hot outside….. bite is slow and when I find fish the damn sharks move in for the kill!!! Today I went to the Valley to take a father son trip.  Tide was off but with the heat I just fish 7-11am. Throwing popncorks and shrimp along oyster beds today. A few rats and a nice 29.5” the little man reeled in.  Went and fished a deep hole in the ICW and hooked a nice shark but chewed through the 80lb floro.

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Beautiful morning today… knew the bite would be tough but the guys just wanted to be out on the water getting some saltwater therapy. Got a few reds today and a tarpon that came off the hook.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#46]
looking good
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Great morning till the battery demon returned. Jumped 4 tarpon !!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice day today with a nice couple that’s been going with me for the last few years.  Bait was pretty easy this morning but no tarpon around so I went inshore and caught bull reds. Actually about every guide today  decided to fish for bulls today….They had no interest in keeping anything today so big fish it was. We got about 10 and they were ready to hit St Augustine and shop and drink. The guy had a pretty nice truck and it sounded really nice too…

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Hey guys been awhile since I've been around but being a fishing guide has made me a busy man. After years I'm finally decided to post some daily photos of my charters. I'll try to post often and answer any questions you all will have. I'm a bit rusty but I think I'll get the hang of posting videos and photos again here Slug-O

Yesterday's trip was up in Mayport fishing the jetties for Mangos and redfish. We did extremely well  but the sharks were just terrible and we lost 5 fish to the "Mayport Squirrels". Damn things would chase the fish and ram the boat while trying to eat it. Not once but twice my trolling motor was attacked. On the second attack a shark bit the "prop" blade off and I had to head in as it's a new boat and didn't have a spare with me. Yes those are teeth marks on my new motor
https://i.imgur.com/gIV0esA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x9lpgyO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AsPuso8.mp4
View Quote
I dive a bit here in Destin.  Sharks have been everywhere.  Someone told me that the reason they will attack props etc is because of some parasite they pick up that scrambles their brain.  This guy went on to say that bull sharks are susceptible and they are unpredictable because of it.  He's a free diver and said he was noting that sharks are much more aggressive this year.  Everyone is now carrying power heads in case a shark needs to be dispatched.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top