[#1]
ALICE clips and a GI canteen?
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ALICE clips and a GI canteen?
View Quote

Yeah or since most military web belts are 2”-2 1/2” another surplus one that catches your eye. Could get either Nalgene or stainless canteens if you wanted something not USGI.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Not necessarily a canteen, but mostly the carrier is what I would focus on.  Best options I've found:

Most expensive: Mother Canteen Carrier:

Best Value:  Helikon-Tex Essential Kitbag:

Both of these have MOLLE type straps that allow you to adjust the width for a regular belt.  Both will fit any USGI canteen/cup, Pattern 58 NATO canteen (with the bulky Crusader canteen cup), Pathfinder canteen kit, and the Heavy Cover/Keith titanium canteen kit.  While the titanium version is more expensive, it's the lightest of the group if you're not use a shoulder strap or H-suspenders...just a consideration.

Some better pictures of the back straps; note the belt is a 2" belt and there is plenty more "wiggle" room:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a simple and inexpensive GI MOLLE II Pouch, Canteen/Utility.  Many colors/camo patterns available.  Add a couple "d" rings onto existing PALS securing webbing, a shoulder strap,  and use it for shoulder carry, if desired.

Enough room to carry 1-qt canteen, cup, GI stove, heat tabs, and some water purification pills.  Strongly suggest metal canteen if freezing temps anticipated; Plastic otherwise.

A properly-fitting lid for the cup is a surprisingly useful add-on: https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/stainless-steel-canteen-cup-lid-pathfinder-edition.  Do shop around.  Disclaimer: no financial interest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are open to other solutions, how about a dump pouch and then whatever bottle you want in it. There you have a general purpose storage solution for your belt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A properly-fitting lid for the cup is a surprisingly useful add-on: https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/stainless-steel-canteen-cup-lid-pathfinder-edition.  Do shop around.  Disclaimer: no financial interest.
View Quote

A canteen cup lid really does help.  I've made some in the past from cheap aluminum plates, but there are plenty of good options on the market (Self Reliance Outfitters and Heavy Cover both come to mind).  They help speed up your water boil and keep ashes from flavoring your hot drink or soup.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Any reason you don’t want a camelbak?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
HSGI has a pretty bombproof canteen pouch that will take a canteen cup and has a sleeve for the cup lid.
https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/12CP01-12CP01.html

Not the lightest, but it's roomy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

IME they like to freeze.  Especially if the tube or mouthpiece are exposed.

Plus, they're just big.   Never got used to the tube/hump in my back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll be honest and say that every backpack I own, whether it's for a day hike, mountain biking, or any number of backpacks, all have a hydration bladder. I've tried just using SmartWater bottles alone, and it just didn't work for me.  

For certain applications, I like a canteen kit.  If it's a stand-alone, there's no hydration bladder.  If I have a canteen kit with a pack, it augments my hydration bladder.  I drink from the hydration bladder and can fill from my canteen and use my canteen kit to cook or boil water if that's my plan (i.e. no water filter or purification, or filter is broke).  

I don't see them as an either/or, unless I'm just going minimalist and throwing the canteen over my shoulder and leaving the pack in camp...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Source 1qt. that sometimes rides in a dump pouch on the belt.   Perfect for when you don't want a bunch of extra weight, or slosh from a half filled bag of bigger size.

Another option I love is an issue pilots flask.  Nice and flat, holds half a qt.  Rides well in a pocket or pouch.

Pair that with a Sawyer Mini and you're good to hook in most environments.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll be honest and say that every backpack I own, whether it's for a day hike, mountain biking, or any number of backpacks, all have a hydration bladder. I've tried just using SmartWater bottles alone, and it just didn't work for me.  

For certain applications, I like a canteen kit.  If it's a stand-alone, there's no hydration bladder.  If I have a canteen kit with a pack, it augments my hydration bladder.  I drink from the hydration bladder and can fill from my canteen and use my canteen kit to cook or boil water if that's my plan (i.e. no water filter or purification, or filter is broke).  

I don't see them as an either/or, unless I'm just going minimalist and throwing the canteen over my shoulder and leaving the pack in camp...

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

I'm more or less with Rock on this one. When Camelbaks came out in the 90s they replaced my primary military canteens. But it was a PITA to shave. cook, etc from a Camelbak. So I usually had at least one or two canteens on my ALICE ruck.
I've kept the same practice post-military. Only water goes in my Camelbak bladder. If I want to add drink mixes, have a canteen for cooking water, etc, that comes from a canteen or other bottle.
A lot of people whine about the weight of a 3 liter Camelbak. Yeah, ok, water weighs a little bit. i'd rather be hydrated than thirsty. Some survey I read a while back, for what its worth said that 3/4 of hikers are hiking in a dehydrated condition. That's not good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top