Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 4:01:42 PM EDT
So my dad give me his old 870 in 20ga and I have a truglo tg 177x choke on it and I’m curious if anyone has the same setup what turkey load do you use what patterns best. I would find out for myself but with the way ammo is now adays I’d just like to hear what you guys have found works best and start from there rather than buy a bunch of ammo and half of it be garbage.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My best are #5 Federal 1.25 oz., and Browning #5 1.25 oz.
Both use flight control wads, in a mossberg 500 with same tube as yours
Buddies 20 ga 870, with factory full choke patterns #4 Fiocchi 3" 1.25 oz
very well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer is going to be TSS, or Tungsten Super Shot. The difference in density and kinetic energy is crazy.

I would suggest getting a 5-round box of Apex #9s, and try them at 30, 40, and 50 yards. That would leave you two rounds for a turkey I'd be shocked if you were unhappy with how that load patterns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top