Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2022 10:44:28 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I'm a brand spanking new GMRS licensee.  I'm looking for a higher watt (40w+) portable radio.  

Seems like B-Tech and Wouxon are popular.  

I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for.  Can you guys help me out?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Part 95 or just a radio that works?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
MXT575 owner here.  Added Diamond NMO antenna with Ghost antenna.  Make sure to get the network cable so you can install hidden.

Simple to use, it just works.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part 95 or just a radio that works?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
“The 11 categories identified in FCC Part 95 include: General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), Family Radio Service (FRS), Radio Controlled Radio Service (RCRS), CB Radio Service (CBRS), 218-219 mHz Radio Service, Low Power Radio Service (LPRS), Wireless Medical Telemetry Service (WMTS), Medical Device Radiocommunication Service (MedRadio), Multi-use Radio Service (MURS), Personal Locator Beacons (PLB) & Maritime Survivor Locator Devices (MSLD), and DSRCS On-Board Units (DBU).”
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]

I think what he's trying to ask is "GMRS legal radio" or "Something that works on GMRS but is not technically legal".

The issue here being there are a lot of Wouxon/etc. radios that can be made to be on GMRS but are not "type accepted" by the FCC. The FCC requires GMRS radios to be "Part 95" (more specifically 47CFR95, as in Code of Federal Regulations) approved. A business band radio would be Part 90 approved. An amateur radio would be Part 97 approved. And so on and so forth.

If you want to be 100% legal, you must buy a GMRS radio that is Part 95 approved. With that said, I think I've satisfied my CoC obligations.

This is not to say that a great many people buy "whatever works", and indeed a lot of that unapproved stuff actually works much better, or is much cheaper, than an official, Part 95 approved GMRS radio.

And the reality is that the FCC has no real way to, nor any real reason to, find people using unapproved radios. So the chances of you being the subject of an FCC enforcement action if you do are about as low as winning the lottery. The only way this might change is if you do stupid stuff on the air like cursing, playing music, interfering with other stations, and generally be an idiot. Then when they come looking for you for those actions they'll pile on the equipment violation.

So how legal do you want to be? The answer to that question will change people's answers.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think what he's trying to ask is "GMRS legal radio" or "Something that works on GMRS but is not technically legal".

The issue here being there are a lot of Wouxon/etc. radios that can be made to be on GMRS but are not "type accepted" by the FCC. The FCC requires GMRS radios to be "Part 95" (more specifically 47CFR95, as in Code of Federal Regulations) approved. A business band radio would be Part 90 approved. An amateur radio would be Part 97 approved. And so on and so forth.

If you want to be 100% legal, you must buy a GMRS radio that is Part 95 approved. With that said, I think I've satisfied my CoC obligations.

This is not to say that a great many people buy "whatever works", and indeed a lot of that unapproved stuff actually works much better, or is much cheaper, than an official, Part 95 approved GMRS radio.

And the reality is that the FCC has no real way to, nor any real reason to, find people using unapproved radios. So the chances of you being the subject of an FCC enforcement action if you do are about as low as winning the lottery. The only way this might change is if you do stupid stuff on the air like cursing, playing music, interfering with other stations, and generally be an idiot. Then when they come looking for you for those actions they'll pile on the equipment violation.

So how legal do you want to be? The answer to that question will change people's answers.

View Quote

Ah, ok, thank you for clarifying.  I'd like to be in that grey area, where I'm following the rules with potentially unapproved equipment.  I.e.- I may have used a baofeng on low output mode over the MURS channels once before.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
@TobyLazur

Live now
What Is The Best GMRS Radio For Hams? W/ NotARubicon!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Another question:  Do you also have a ham license?

I suspect the majority of people buying "stuff that works" on the better end of the spectrum are licensed hams and those buying cheap junk "stuff that works" are not hams and also likely not GMRS licensed either.

The MXT575 Midland is not a bad GMRS radio, but my opinion of the radio is that half of the manufacturer's cost is advertizing. LOL, Midland marketing is even mentioned in the video above!  Midland is doing a SUPER job of promoting this series of radios.  If it programs similar to the MXT400 predicessor, it can be programed to receive ham 70cm band transmissons.

Side note:  all radios are legal for listening in the US, it is only transmitting that requires a license.

I listen to GMRS with my TYT TH-9800 and a ICOM IC F-221.  The 221 is a great budget radio for 70cm ham use and GMRS (65cm) listening.  The 221 is well out of production and there were several versions of it. Usually lots of them on eBay, but you could get stung buying one that is not the right version for listening to GMRS or locked by its former user and requires expensive software to unlock.  There are sellers that guarantee the radio works and isn't locked.  The TYT TH 9800 is a cheap copy of the much more expensive and more reliable Yeasu FT 8900r. The advantage of these are they are 4 band radios that can listen to a lot of traffic outside of ham and GMRS.

My legal GMRS transceiver is a Wouxon 805G handheld.  I can't hit any more repeaters with my MXT400 (which is back in its original box on a shelf) than I can with the 805.  Line of sight means more than power in the UHF bands.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another question:  Do you also have a ham license?

I suspect the majority of people buying "stuff that works" on the better end of the spectrum are licensed hams and those buying cheap junk "stuff that works" are not hams and also likely not GMRS licensed either.

The MXT575 Midland is not a bad GMRS radio, but my opinion of the radio is that half of the manufacturer's cost is advertizing. LOL, Midland marketing is even mentioned in the video above!  Midland is doing a SUPER job of promoting this series of radios.  If it programs similar to the MXT400 predicessor, it can be programed to receive ham 70cm band transmissons.

Side note:  all radios are legal for listening in the US, it is only transmitting that requires a license.

I listen to GMRS with my TYT TH-9800 and a ICOM IC F-221.  The 221 is a great budget radio for 70cm ham use and GMRS (65cm) listening.  The 221 is well out of production and there were several versions of it. Usually lots of them on eBay, but you could get stung buying one that is not the right version for listening to GMRS or locked by its former user and requires expensive software to unlock.  There are sellers that guarantee the radio works and isn't locked.  The TYT TH 9800 is a cheap copy of the much more expensive and more reliable Yeasu FT 8900r. The advantage of these are they are 4 band radios that can listen to a lot of traffic outside of ham and GMRS.

My legal GMRS transceiver is a Wouxon 805G handheld.  I can't hit any more repeaters with my MXT400 (which is back in its original box on a shelf) than I can with the 805.  Line of sight means more than power in the UHF bands.
View Quote

I don't have a ham license. I bought a kenwood thinking I was going to get my ham, but that was back in 2018, and I still don't have it.  So now I have a GRMS License and a buddy with one as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Technician class license is NOT hard.  Hamstudy.org, find local VEC's and go for it
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Technician class license is NOT hard.  Hamstudy.org, find local VEC's and go for it
View Quote

So how about for my GMRS needs currently?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you looked at Retevis or Radioddity?
https://www.radioddity.com/collections/consumer-radios-frs-gmrs-radios
Retevis even has a package with a repeater, a couple ht, and a mobile for 535.00
https://www.retevis.com/GMRS-Radios/
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#14]
GMRS is popular in Dubuque, IA. They have a repeater, and run a net, and work with hams on drills and radio skills every now and then.
https://baofengtech.com/product/gmrs-50x1/
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Define "portable". Most of the time in the communications world when someone says "portable" that means a handheld radio. There is not a 40 watt handheld radio and it would be radically over the RF exposure limits if it did exist.

If you mean a 40 watt mobile radio, you need to answer the "Part 95" question as posed above.

If you are willing to operate in the grey zone, there are zillions of options in new and used Part 90/land mobile radios for the 460 MHz range. Older used radios might be preferable depending on your situation as newer radios & programming software may not allow you to program wideband FM. I recently bought an older Kenwood UHF LMR radio for under $20 on ebay. So really depends on a variety of factors to include your willingness to fiddle with programming etc. If you don't want to deal with any of that, then get a GMRS-only preprogrammed radio.

Technically (to my understanding) older Part 90 LMR radios that were type approved before the change in FCC regulations are grandfathered and allowed on GMRS. I can tell you that the large majority of GMRS repeater users and essentially all GMRS repeaters are Part 90 radios.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on Retevis.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Is retevis a good quality brand for gmrs?  Im looking for the best quality gmrs radio for personal/family use. Preferably weather/ waterproof
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is retevis a good quality brand for gmrs?  Im looking for the best quality gmrs radio for personal/family use. Preferably weather/ waterproof
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Define "portable". Most of the time in the communications world when someone says "portable" that means a handheld radio. There is not a 40 watt handheld radio and it would be radically over the RF exposure limits if it did exist.

If you mean a 40 watt mobile radio, you need to answer the "Part 95" question as posed above.

If you are willing to operate in the grey zone, there are zillions of options in new and used Part 90/land mobile radios for the 460 MHz range. Older used radios might be preferable depending on your situation as newer radios & programming software may not allow you to program wideband FM. I recently bought an older Kenwood UHF LMR radio for under $20 on ebay. So really depends on a variety of factors to include your willingness to fiddle with programming etc. If you don't want to deal with any of that, then get a GMRS-only preprogrammed radio.

Technically (to my understanding) older Part 90 LMR radios that were type approved before the change in FCC regulations are grandfathered and allowed on GMRS. I can tell you that the large majority of GMRS repeater users and essentially all GMRS repeaters are Part 90 radios.
View Quote

I have a Kenwood 281 that I can't use now.  I was picturing something like that in UHF.

Edit: I do have a requirement to be able to hit repeaters.  I'm not sure if that's offered as an option on some of the Part 95 gmrs only radios.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
GMRS is popular in Dubuque, IA. They have a repeater, and run a net, and work with hams on drills and radio skills every now and then.
https://baofengtech.com/product/gmrs-50x1/
View Quote

Is this the one you'd recommend out of the previous links you sent?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Going to throw out some random ideas, as I said before there are a zillion options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123678201865
Icom's LMR are nice in that they do the 440-450 amateur band with no drama, although if you're not an amateur licensee that doesn't matter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325163305475

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233832704512

I could literally go on for an hour posting links.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
So lets say i wanted to get into a set of gmrs radios that have the best possible range. But nothing more than the gmrs family licence.  Best quality/range.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So lets say i wanted to get into a set of gmrs radios that have the best possible range. But nothing more than the gmrs family licence.  Best quality/range.

Any recommendations?
View Quote

Physics doesn't change.

Get a reasonable/decent radio and a good antenna.

If you're talking about handheld radios, there isn't a lot you can do differently, other than use a repeater if one is available.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Going to throw out some random ideas, as I said before there are a zillion options.

Icom's LMR are nice in that they do the 440-450 amateur band with no drama, although if you're not an amateur licensee that doesn't matter.

View Quote

Is there anything wrong with using the older kenwoods to hit modern repeaters?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope.
I cannot recommend any gmrs radios, all I did was do a search for a couple of places I knew carried them. The Btech looks to be fully compliant with gmrs, and limits transmitting on non allowed frequencies, but it lets you monitor a lot of stuff. Has 50 watts, all the others have 20, I believe.
Retevis is a decent brand, if you looked at the links I posted, you can get a repeater that would be pretty much plug and play if you have a place where you want to use handheld radios.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nope.
I cannot recommend any gmrs radios, all I did was do a search for a couple of places I knew carried them. The Btech looks to be fully compliant with gmrs, and limits transmitting on non allowed frequencies, but it lets you monitor a lot of stuff. Has 50 watts, all the others have 20, I believe.
Retevis is a decent brand, if you looked at the links I posted, you can get a repeater that would be pretty much plug and play if you have a place where you want to use handheld radios.
View Quote

Ok, thank you.  I was hoping you had some experience with these.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#27]
There are some who use non type certified radios, and others who follow the rules. I will ask what they think are the reliable radios, there is a guy on the net who helps them out a lot. Might be a day or so, no net on the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Both of those brands are just relabled Baofeng or Anytone radios with custom firmware to limit them to GMRS channels. If you're looking for better quality I'd go with an established (non-chinesium) LMR brand like Icom, Kenwood, Vertex, or Motorola. Motorola is more challenging for DIY programming and I wouldn't suggest them unless you really want to roll up your sleeves and get involved.

Anytone I think markets some mobiles that come pre-programmed for GMRS.

Quoted:
Is there anything wrong with using the older kenwoods to hit modern repeaters?

Not at all. If anything most of the newer LMR radios would be the ones with issues, as the US software usually won't allow you to program wideband channels which is needed for GMRS or Amateur.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Both of those brands are just relabled Baofeng or Anytone radios with custom firmware to limit them to GMRS channels. If you're looking for better quality I'd go with an established LMR brand like Icom, Kenwood, Vertex, or Motorola. Motorola is more challenging for DIY programming and I wouldn't suggest them unless you really want to roll up your sleeves and get involved.

Anytone I think markets some mobiles that come pre-programmed for GMRS.

Not at all. If anything most of the newer LMR radios would be the ones with issues, as the US software usually won't allow you to program wideband channels which is needed for GMRS or Amateur.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Generally, antenna height is going to do far more for you than 40 watts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd look at a Kenwood TK-880 or TK-8180. Both are actually Part 95 type-accepted, program easily via Windows with a cheap cable and cheap-to-free software, and perform well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
GMRS is a gateway drug.  I had my GMRS license about 1-2 months, and then signed up for the HAM tests after the learning curve made that an obvious choice.   Get a radio that does both, then you will be all set when you move on to the hard stuff.  Even if you want to transmit on GMRS and monitor only on HAM.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Generally, antenna height is going to do far more for you than 40 watts.
View Quote

The hopes is to have something discretely mounted on my second story roof.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

So minor problem.  It appears the icom is old enough that the programming software needs to run on windows Vista or XP machines.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So minor problem.  It appears the icom is old enough that the programming software needs to run on windows Vista or XP machines.
View Quote

A lot of folks that are serious about repurposing older commercial gear keep old computers around just for programming, including DOS machines.

Otherwise just get a Midland mobile and call it a day.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Or go back to the Retevis radios some of us already suggested.

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
More proof the fcc rules are often silly.  

A quality commercial radio will
(typically) not be certified for GMRS or marine use, but nobody would ever be able to tell Because it would otherwise meet all the technical details.  

I remember when I was a firefighter years ago, all our radios had CG 16 & 13 (to communicate with the manned single lane swing bridge between our mainland and island part of our district).   Was it legal by the letter of the law?  Sure doesn't look like it.  I didn't become knowledgeable about radios and the regulations until later, we just used what the local radio shop programmed in there (154.600 at 40w anyone? ).

Edit...
Got my tech in 97, general in 08, GMRS in 2019 and spend too much time on P25 at work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#39]
No. $35 for 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#41]
It's 35.00 now.
GMRS is extremely popular here in Florida, we have 8-10 repeaters within 30 miles of where I live
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
More proof the fcc rules are often silly.  

A quality commercial radio will
(typically) not be certified for GMRS or marine use, but nobody would ever be able to tell Because it would otherwise meet all the technical details.  

I remember when I was a firefighter years ago, all our radios had CG 16 & 13 (to communicate with the manned single lane swing bridge between our mainland and island part of our district).   Was it legal by the letter of the law?  Sure doesn't look like it.  I didn't become knowledgeable about radios and the regulations until later, we just used what the local radio shop programmed in there (154.600 at 40w anyone? ).

Edit...
Got my tech in 97, general in 08, GMRS in 2019 and spend too much time on P25 at work.
View Quote

Kenwood still has a current production mobile that is type accepted for commercial (LMR) and GMRS. I believe they are one of the only manufacturers that still has one of those legacy grants in production though. Once upon a time, some Motorola radios that sounded a lot like Spectra and Saber had grants to operate in the Marine band as well as the LMR band though I can't seem to remember if it was the digital versions of those products or the POA versions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is a site with a good list of repeaters.

https://mygmrs.com/repeaters
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here is a site with a good list of repeaters.

https://mygmrs.com/repeaters
View Quote

Not bad on technical info either.   I gave myself a promotion to flag rank over there ;)
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Retevis.

Quoted:
What is a good HT?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What is a good HT?
View Quote

Depends on your usage.

I like the Icom F2000.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A lot of folks that are serious about repurposing older commercial gear keep old computers around just for programming, including DOS machines.

View Quote

Ok, I'll look at something currently offered.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the LPU and EPU series of older Bendix King portables are type certified. They are very rugged, fast scanning, long battery life and keypad programmable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dunno, but that price for the repeater package is really, really good compared to what it would cost to do the same with 2m. That's going to give really good coverage all around your AO if you get the antenna up a bit. I can see at least 30 miles regularly on flat ground with the repeater antenna up on a tower or hilltop going to a mobile radio, maybe double that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top