Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2023 11:19:13 AM EDT
The TV reception using the antenna in my 2021 Vintage Cruiser sucks. Remembering how the speakers wires for the stereo weren't connected from the factory, I decided to check the TV connections.

I found a black wire hanging loose. It's stripped, but not connected to anything. Is it supposed to be in one of the two wire nuts? I have no clue.

Can anyone tell me where it's supposed to be connected?

Thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a wiring diagram available from the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I got nothing to help especially since I am not sure what connections are supposed to be made out of that.

The colors of the wires in campers can be weird. Lots of white wires with different stripes. Red and black wire leads on 12v device  apparently means red is hot and black is ground.

Does the wire nut on the left feel loose? Like a wire is missing?

It does look like the stripped end was crimped into something, but was it there, some other attachment point I can’t see, or the methed out install person stripped it by accident and forgot it
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
No wiring diagram that I can find.

Did the wire pop out of one of the two wire nuts? Hard to tell.

Contacted Gulf Stream support. No telling if they will get back to me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
I got nothing to help especially since I am not sure what connections are supposed to be made out of that.

The colors of the wires in campers can be weird. Lots of white wires with different stripes. Red and black wire leads on 12v device  apparently means red is hot and black is ground.

Does the wire nut on the left feel loose? Like a wire is missing?

It does look like the stripped end was crimped into something, but was it there, some other attachment point I can’t see, or the methed out install person stripped it by accident and forgot it
View Quote

Those aren't wire nuts.  They're crimp splices.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Where does that blue wire go?

The heavy black coax should be the antenna/video signal.

Those are crimped connections, not wire nuts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ske714:

View Quote

I realize that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#7]
Where does the black wire originate?  If it's the same blue cable at the bottom of image then where does the cable originate from?
If its the circuit board get a detailed enough picture to trace the line on the board.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

I realize that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I realize that.

I realize that you realize that.    The person I was replying to called them wire nuts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]

I realize that you realize that.    The person I was replying to called them wire nuts.
View Quote

Not everyone is an electrical engineer and has to have something called by its official registered name.

I know what they are too, and I know that they serve the same purpose as wire nuts but with a more secure connection(although not foolproof if a methhead puts it together), but nearly every person that has ever seen two wires put together knows what a wire nut is.

I admitted that I likely couldn't help from the pic shown. If I was standing there looking at it, I would probably still be scratching my head too.

My camper's TV and radio antenna is so sorry, I have given up on any chance of it working, but then again, I don't watch over the air TV when I am home, much less camping.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Not everyone is an electrical engineer and has to have something called by its official registered name.

I know what they are too, and I know that they serve the same purpose as wire nuts but with a more secure connection(although not foolproof if a methhead puts it together), but nearly every person that has ever seen two wires put together knows what a wire nut is.

I admitted that I likely couldn't help from the pic shown. If I was standing there looking at it, I would probably still be scratching my head too.

My camper's TV and radio antenna is so sorry, I have given up on any chance of it working, but then again, I don't watch over the air TV when I am home, much less camping.

Good luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good luck

Sorry, I didn't mean to be condescending or pedantic.  I didn't think you realized what they were, and it seemed relevant to the conversation at the time.

Purely a guess, but from the picture, it looks like the blue pair go somewhere else, not to the tv.  Strangely enough, my boss once mentioned to me that his camper had an antenna with a built in pre-amp, and it wasn't getting power.  Maybe the blue pair supplies power to an antenna pre-amp.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Winegard amplifier and it needs 12vdc to power the board. Does yours have an led on the faceplate that should light up when it is turned on?

Is the wiring with the crimp connectors 12v or 120?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
So here's a better pic with the coax cables removed. Gulf Stream is telling me that the black wire needs to be attached to the circuit board where the green arrow indicates.

I have no idea what that yellow-ish compound is, but it isn't solder. They say I need to melt it off to connect the wire. And as short as the black wire is, I'm not sure if it's gonna reach!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like it should reach if you just spin the board and it would line up.
Yellow stuff is adhesive, I'd use dykes to clip away as much as I could, hit it with a heat gun and/or a wide tip solder iron then scrape it to clean the rest off and solder a new short length of wire (pigtail) and crimp that to original wire.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Turns out the camper manufacturer is wrong...the wire does NOT go there.

Another Gulfstream owner showed me a picture of the wiring on his. Turns out the black wire is supposed to be crimped to the two white and blk/red wire. I did that and things works SO much better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Turns out the camper manufacturer is wrong...the wire does NOT go there.

Another Gulfstream owner showed me a picture of the wiring on his. Turns out the black wire is supposed to be crimped to the two white and blk/red wire. I did that and things works SO much better.
View Quote

Glad you got your problem resolved. Do you mind if I ask what model you have and what your thoughts on it are after owning it for awhile? My wife and I have been looking at the 19CSK. Looking for some real life feedback from an owner. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top