Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2020 2:02:24 AM EDT
Gotta give CZ this, I think they listen to their customers. Years ago before CZ offered their 527s in 6.5 Grendel and .300 Blackout, some people would have their 527s rebarreled to these calibers. Now they're making them.

I think it was 2012 when I had my CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 rebarreled to Grendel. The smith used a Bartlein barrel he had in stock from another customer's cancelled project. If I do my part, that rifle is a laser. 18" heavy barrel, it's not too bad weight-wise without the suppressor, but with suppressor it's a little heavy for a hunting rifle where I may need to take a shot offhand or in an improvised position. Here's my custom Grendel:

Couple years ago CZ came out with the 527 Suppressor-Ready model in Blackout and 7.62x39. I bought a Blackout right away. It was a conversion I had considered years earlier. Haven't used it for much yet, but I like it a lot. I've been able to squeeze out some nice groups. I've shot nothing but subsonic ammo with it. Here's my Blackout:

Don't have a pic of any longer distance groups. Here's one at 50 yards with 190gr subsonics, four shots I believe.

Ever since they came out with the Suppressor-Ready model, I'd been saying I wish CZ would chamber that rifle in 6.5 Grendel. It would give me that lightweight, handy rifle, in a decent hunting round and without some of the shortcomings of my custom Grendel (weight, and an occasional feed issue). Then about a year ago, I saw in the new CZ catalog they were going to be chambering it in Grendel. I think I did a search for them to be in stock about every other day all year.

Finally in I think December I saw some pop up in stock. Called a LGS and got one ordered. Picked it up about a month ago. So far, not disappointed. It's pretty much just what I'd hoped. I've only just started working with it really, but I'm satisfied with the accuracy I'm getting for a factory rifle.

They've made a few changes to the 527 in general. Some I like, some I don't, and to some I'm indifferent. You can see some of the changes here in the next pic. The top rifle is the Blackout I bought two years ago. The bottom is the new Grendel I bought a month ago. You can see on the side of the action they added some angles rather than rounding like they used to. Bolt design changed a little too. The change I don't care for much is the bottom metal, though some may like this. Notice on the older one the bottom metal extends down and out around the back end of the mag. I've always sort of liked that, but I think some people think it's ugly. Well, the new one doesn't do that.

Here's a few pics of the new Grendel:

I've shot nothing in it but handloads. Like I said, haven't really spent much time on load development yet, but I have a working load that I'm going to use for now. I plan to use this rifle for coyote and deer, and want it for some upcoming coyote hunts soon.

Got out on Thursday afternoon for a bit to put a few rounds through it. This was my first group. This was at 150 yards, just shooting off the bipod while laying prone on that tarp in the last pic.

Did a little better on the second group with the exception of the one on the right. This was 4 shots, 150 yards, again laying prone off the bipod.

Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the great write -up and pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top