Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2018 9:46:05 PM EDT
What seems to be the going price for a 20 footer?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Roughly $1800-$2200 delivered to MN. Check Craiglist & your local garbage companies. You might get a better price if you're close to a shipping hub.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Around $2000-2500 depending on condition.

Region varies. I imagine they are cheaper near the coasts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Roughly $1800-$2200 delivered to MN. Check Craiglist & your local garbage companies. You might get a better price if you're close to a shipping hub.
View Quote
Hadn't thought of that.

Has anyone contracted out the delivery of one before?

Don't think it would be prudent to try and pull one with my 1/2 ton pickup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hadn't thought of that.

View Quote
We sell quite a few 40s, and occasionally a 20. I wouldn’t try to pull a 20 with a half ton. It’s not so much the weight, as they’re only 5kish lbs, but the ability to handle to weight distribution. They’re top heavy, and can man handle a lighter truck. For a short distance I wouldn’t worry too much, but I’d hate to make that drive over a longer distance on a highway or interstate. We’re around $2k on 20’ boxes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We sell quite a few 40s, and occasionally a 20. I wouldn’t try to pull a 20 with a half ton. It’s not so much the weight, as they’re only 5kish lbs, but the ability to handle to weight distribution. They’re top heavy, and can man handle a lighter truck. For a short distance I wouldn’t worry too much, but I’d hate to make that drive over a longer distance on a highway or interstate. We’re around $2k on 20’ boxes.
View Quote
Then there's the weight of the trailer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hadn't thought of that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hadn't thought of that.

I had a tow guy with a rollback move my 20ft one.  He had to haul it out of an apple orchard in the mud and go about 30 miles.

I'm in search of another one or two in the Winchester/Summit Point area.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had a tow guy with a rollback move my 20ft one.  He had to haul it out of an apple orchard in the mud and go about 30 miles.

I'm in search of another one or two in the Winchester/Summit Point area.
View Quote
Be he loved you. What that cost you?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Be he loved you. What that cost you?
View Quote
Going to say that it he charged $80/hr and it was under 2 hours. I had a hard time getting my suburban back there and it had been sitting on timbers with a wooden leanto attached.  Part of it was sunk in the mud.  Fortunately it ended up in a 3 sided barn on a concrete floor. He got a decent tip.

I paid less then a grand for it, patched a few holes, needs to be painted.  Contains wife's furniture collection and eventually auto parts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
So, in doing a bunch of calling around, here is what I've found out.

Average price for a 40' in my AO is $2830 delivered. Cargo worthy rated container.

Every place I've found wants payment upfront via credit card, or E-check. After payment is received then its a 7-10day waiting period before it can be delivered.  All stated in their listings than they have a 30 day guarantee on the containers.

Some places want to charge additional for delivery with a rollback/tilt trailer. Some wanted to charge a fee for weekend delivery.

Is this the rules of the game pretty much?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hadn't thought of that.

View Quote
I saw a 20 footer on a roll back.  Call AAA.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I saw a 20 footer on a roll back.  Call AAA.
View Quote
Its more economical to buy a 40' unit. Like $500 more than a 20' one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to put a 20 ft conex box out behind my house.  Then, buy some trusses that go over the conex box and over hang both sides by 8 ft.  Then, put a metal roof on it.  Would make a great storage both weather protected as well as covered storage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a very cool thread a few years back of a member who made a very cool garage/work shop/gun locker out of two 40' containers in an L-shape, with a metal roof over the space between. It was very nicely done.

Just bear in mind, the more holes you cut into these things, the more reinforcement they require. The walls are actually very thin, while the corner posts and floor are where the majority of the strength lies.

May seem obvious, but people try to do some really dumb things with them (such as bury them). Not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying you're just better off from cost and complexity to do something else for that, like ICFs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There was a very cool thread a few years back of a member who made a very cool garage/work shop/gun locker out of two 40' containers in an L-shape, with a metal roof over the space between. It was very nicely done.

Just bear in mind, the more holes you cut into these things, the more reinforcement they require. The walls are actually very thin, while the corner posts and floor are where the majority of the strength lies.

May seem obvious, but people try to do some really dumb things with them (such as bury them). Not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying you're just better off from cost and complexity to do something else for that, like ICFs.
View Quote
I remember that thread, he poured a pad, welded them together and made a passage way thru them IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember from my Combat Engineering days that if your going to bury it, flip it over as the floor is the strongest point.  This was for a field expedient bunker.

CD
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Remember from my Combat Engineering days that if your going to bury it, flip it over as the floor is the strongest point.  This was for a field expedient bunker.

CD
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Around here both a 20' and 40' are around 3000 delivered.  No diff in price much, as I guess they take the same gas to go to the coast to get them.

I have a 40' tall boy?  it has an extra foot in height, I use it for a shed.  Epoxied the floor as i'm sure it had been treated with nasty chemicals to preserve it.  Have a steel door in the side as well as a window.

I'd love to build a house out of them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Currently living in a 20' container converted to a bedroom here in Astan.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top