Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2020 5:01:47 PM EDT
I finally got all of my stuff set up to reload, and was looking for input on bullet type for my hunt this coming fall.

I shoot a 338-378 wby mag for elk, i have been shooting factory 225 ttsx boa tails, and nosler 250 grains ballistic tips.

neither one shot great out of the rifle, about 1.5 moa at 100 yrds, and I want to be set up to shoot 600 yrds plus if I need to

Looking for any input on diffrent bullets...hornady, other barnes, berger??

Any help would be great

jakjak
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My thought, fwiw, is to stick with Barnes or another very well constructed controlled expansion bullet given the velocity and the possibility of a close shot.

Maybe a heavier or lighter Barnes?

Barnes lists 225 and 265gr Tac-TX, 250, 265 and 280gr LRX, for example.,
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
We need that member from AK to chime in, I think he shoots that caliber, in a much heavier rifle.   If I figure out who I’ll point him here.

I don’t shoot that round at elk, but I have dropped a lot of them mainly with -06 and 308.    You are definitely bringing enough gun,
And 1.5” is pretty good with a hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jakjak824] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPK:
My thought, fwiw, is to stick with Barnes or another very well constructed controlled expansion bullet given the velocity and the possibility of a close shot.

Maybe a heavier or lighter Barnes?

Barnes lists 225 and 265gr Tac-TX, 250, 265 and 280gr LRX, for example.,
View Quote
This is kind of what I am leaning towards,  I am thinking I might try the 250 lrx or the 250 tsx

And A wise man told me once, always bring enough gun
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, wouldn't pick the ballistic tips for your application.

I am intrigued by Hornady 185 gr in .338, but have not tried tried them yet. The gmx is supposed to be tough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
1.5” isn’t too bad for hunting rifles.  
Couple things you can try to tighten up your groups:
Buy the tool, can’t remember the name, that Hornady makes that checks how much bullet jump you have.  Could be that your rifle has a long throat and you need to seat your bullets further out.

Try lighter bullets, your rifle may not like the longer/heavier bullets.  Maybe try something at the 200gr weight.

As for construction, go with monolithic like the Barnes or GMX, or a bonded bullet like the accubond.  Nosler partitions are also a decent choice
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By renegade509:
1.5” isn’t too bad for hunting rifles.  
Couple things you can try to tighten up your groups:
Buy the tool, can’t remember the name, that Hornady makes that checks how much bullet jump you have.  Could be that your rifle has a long throat and you need to seat your bullets further out.

Try lighter bullets, your rifle may not like the longer/heavier bullets.  Maybe try something at the 200gr weight.

As for construction, go with monolithic like the Barnes or GMX, or a bonded bullet like the accubond.  Nosler partitions are also a decent choice
View Quote
It is a Weatherby mark v  they are set from the factory to have a huge jump to the lands, it is like .03 inch

As far as the bullets I was going to start heavy and work my way down if grouping dose not improve
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a Swift offering?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the tool I was talking about

Link

Buy one of these and the special threaded case for your caliber.

Use it to figure out how far out you can seat your bullet.  In my experience bullet jump can really impact accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I would try loading for the 250 or 280 barnes LRX, and see which one shoots better in your rifle...most likely going to have to try them out close to the lands if you can't get accuracy at SAAMI length's, but I think you can.....I use the 200 grain LRX's for my close range bear bullets in my 300rum, and have them seated a bit over .0350" off the lands, and they are plenty accurate if you spend the time to dial them into your rifle...

This was on initial load work up..
Attachment Attached File

This shows the seating depth difference between my 230 Berger LR load and the 200 barnes...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jakjak824:
I finally got all of my stuff set up to reload, and was looking for input on bullet type for my hunt this coming fall.

I shoot a 338-378 wby mag for elk, i have been shooting factory 225 ttsx boa tails, and nosler 250 grains ballistic tips.

neither one shot great out of the rifle, about 1.5 moa at 100 yrds, and I want to be set up to shoot 600 yrds plus if I need to

Any help would be great

jakjak
View Quote
My first choice is always Nosler Partitions. They are great performers plus they have been the most accurate hunting bullet in many different rifles and calibers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Nosler Partition
Nosler Accubond

*new* Federal Terminal Ascent
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, I would try loading for the 250 or 280 barnes LRX, and see which one shoots better in your rifle...most likely going to have to try them out close to the lands if you can't get accuracy at SAAMI length's, but I think you can.....I use the 200 grain LRX's for my close range bear bullets in my 300rum, and have them seated a bit over .0350" off the lands, and they are plenty accurate if you spend the time to dial them into your rifle...

This was on initial load work up..
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_3542_JPG-1259557.JPG

This shows the seating depth difference between my 230 Berger LR load and the 200 barnes...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/kmcXbpTWQk_16sTwLTSR5g_jpg-1259558.JPG
View Quote
I Think I am going to try the 250 lrx

read alot of good things about them
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Partitions are a fantastic proven terminal performer, but they leave a lot to be desired on their B.C. They shouldn’t be your first choice since you say you want to shoot out to 600.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot 200 grn partitions in my .300 H&H Mag.  They'll shoot under 1 MOA all day long and put down a 5x6 bull at 445.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a somewhat dated thread.  I really have not got a specific recommendation to make....

However, in investigating custom rifles I've noticed something.  I've seen a number of makers who have some form of 'accuracy guarantee'.  And in some cases I've seen such guarantees (for higher end rifles mind you) come with a provision.  For example, HS Precision offers a guarantee of 1/2" or under for calibers .30 or under.  In other words, calibers larger than .30 aren't guaranteed to meet the same standard.

Some calibers are known for sterling accuracy.   There are a large number of various 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges that fit that profile.  .338 isn't one of them.

I've long believed that many of use have unrealistic expectations regarding hunting accuracy. Most of us are looking for that rifle and ammo combination that shoots little tiny bug hole groups.  In most cases, these expectations are unrealistic (and unnecessary).  If you are getting 1.5" groups out of a 338-378, I'd say you are doing well
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
This is a somewhat dated thread.  I really have not got a specific recommendation to make....

However, in investigating custom rifles I've noticed something.  I've seen a number of makers who have some form of 'accuracy guarantee'.  And in some cases I've seen such guarantees (for higher end rifles mind you) come with a provision.  For example, HS Precision offers a guarantee of 1/2" or under for calibers .30 or under.  In other words, calibers larger than .30 aren't guaranteed to meet the same standard.

Some calibers are known for sterling accuracy.   There are a large number of various 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges that fit that profile.  .338 isn't one of them.

I've long believed that many of use have unrealistic expectations regarding hunting accuracy. Most of us are looking for that rifle and ammo combination that shoots little tiny bug hole groups.  In most cases, these expectations are unrealistic (and unnecessary).  If you are getting 1.5" groups out of a 338-378, I'd say you are doing well
View Quote

Quality big magnums are perfectly capable of just as good of accuracy as smaller calibers, all it needs is a shooter who can shoot it as good..It takes practice and proper technique...

3 shot group from a load workup for my 300 rum using a 200 grain barnes LRX...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used a .338 Win Mag for elk. However, I've always used it with bullets on the heavier end, 250-275.
My feeling is that, if you are going to use a 225 gr bullet, you are better off with a .30 caliber for ballistic reasons. I have hunted with 220 gr. 30 caliber bullets.
The .338 I used was a Ruger No. 1, so I could load the bullets as long as necessary.

As far as bullet weight vs. range, I think you might be surprised that a slower, heavier bullet in that caliber will tend to retain  velocity better past 400. You should also consider that the heavier bullets tend to drift less in wind, and wind calls at long range are difficult, whereas, with modern range finders, you can establish an accurate range.

Nothing wrong with 338-378. The problem I have with it, and any 338 in elk country, is carrying it. A rifle in that caliber has to be heavy to be shootable. If it isn't, you won't practice.

I settled for about a dozen years on a 6.3 lb (with scope) 7mm Rem Mag. Killed about a dozen elk with it. Settled on a 165 gr bullet. For me, it was the best compromise between something I could carry all day, and shoot well, with adequate power.

That said, I've killed elk with a 30.06, .270, 7mm Rem Mag, Muzzle loader, and a bow. I've got a limited quota tag with a chance for a big bull. I'll be using an old Savage 99 in 300 Savage.

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Nosler Accubonds.

Buddy that kills multiple animals cleanly every year swears by the Berger VLD hunting, and he hunts at long range...

Other buddy that has been very successful on elk switched to Accubonds from the Barnes after some less than stellar performance from those bullets.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve killed elk with accubonds and partitions. If you were using factory loads, accuracy might be tuned with other components.

I did ladder testing with my ‘06 and 338 to find the best recipe using my components. Not using max charges tightened up my groups.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Check out hammer bullets
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#21]
BTs are dogshit for elk.

I shoot 300 ABs and 265 ABLR in a 338LM. I roll my own, though.

Parting words of wisdom- A Partition is never the wrong answer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]

It is a Weatherby mark v  they are set from the factory to have a huge jump to the lands, it is like .03 inch

As far as the bullets I was going to start heavy and work my way down if grouping dose not improve
View Quote

Yes they run a long throat. The Barnes likes to be .05 or deeper many times. They really respond to seating depth changes. Definitely get the coal tool and the ogive measuring tool. They will help you find the sweet spot with the Barnes. FWIW, Barnes does have loading tips on their site.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
We need that member from AK to chime in, I think he shoots that caliber, in a much heavier rifle.   If I figure out who I’ll point him here.

I don’t shoot that round at elk, but I have dropped a lot of them mainly with -06 and 308.    You are definitely bringing enough gun,
View Quote

Just got a box of Barne TTSX 308 165 grain.  Is it heavy enough for an elk?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Javak:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Killed my last bull with a .270 win using 130gr Hornady GMX.  Two hits at ~370 yards.  One right behind the front shoulder, punched clean through with good sized exit wound.  Second hit the spine right behind the shoulder blade.  Found it fully expanded on the inside of the hide on the opposite side.

165gr is plenty heavy as long as your slinging them quick enough
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Very much so. I have killed multiple elk with the 140 gr Barnes out of a 7-08.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#26]
In terms of terminal performance, I prefer Barnes, Nosler Accubonds, or Federal Fusion.  Of all those choices surely you'd find one that gives acceptable accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

He’s a whore for the .300 RUM.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

He’s a whore for the .300 RUM.
View Quote

Meh, not really, I just pick it over the flavor of the day that does nothing better than the 17 other 30 cals just like it already out there..

Good watch for those who want the best 30 cal(they don't exist, its just which fits your specific needs the best)...This guy has spent the time and money to shoot all of them, (except 30 nosler as far as normal production cartridges)......

Best 30cal for ELR (some thoughts on the subject)

As for bullet selection, I think you need more info to really say what is best for your needs.....You need to know what animals, what distances you expect to shoot them at, what cartridge and what rifle will work with what cartridge...As an example, my long range hunting load will not do it for a close shot on a bear or a moose, it just carries to much velocity and the LR bullet(Berger) cannot function properly..So I have 2 loads, I have a long range load the rifle is sighted in for and I have a short range load(Barnes LRX) that I know the offsets(difference in impact point from LR sight in)And can just hold the offset as needed...If I had to go to a different cartridge right now from the rum, its a hard pick, hard to beat the 300wm, all sorts of brass makers out there, shoots the extreme heavies better than the prc, but I am not a fan of the belt, even if it doesn't hurt anything..300 prc would likely be my choice if I couldn't get good brass for the 300 norma mag...norma mag from all indications should be a fine round and a nice step up from the wm/prc/nosler stuff...
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I've shot quite a few with partitions and they have always given me good groups and excellent performance
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought this thread was dead, glad I came back and checked.

So I broke it down to two test loads, options were pretty limited  but I found

250 gr Barnes lxr
210 gr is Nosler partitions.

I did a ldder test,  found the sweet spot for each one and worked up a load.  The lrx shot slightly tighter groups during initial testing. So I decided to stick with that.

The muzzle velocity was surprisingly high, I dropped 99 grains for Rl 17 which achieved 3100 fps, with a 20 fps devation.  I ended up with about 1.4 moa @ 300 yrds, and like many have said, that is more than adequate.

Another thing that was brought up was the range I am hunting. Generally I carry the 338 if I am out glassing,  so 400 + yards (unless I get really lucky).  I have a 450 marlin for the days I walk the timber.

Thanks for all of the info

Jakjak
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad you are getting something that works OP, for the future if you want to try something, the go to for 338 caliber hunting is the 300 grain Berger elite hunter.. might be worth the test if you decide you want more.. other wise congrats, practice like crazy and when the time comes..make it happen...

https://bergerbullets.com/product/338-caliber-300-grain-elite-hunter/
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Nosler Accubond all the things.    
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Any help would be great

jakjak
View Quote

My go to round for accuracy and penetration is the Nosler Partition. It is the first bullet I try. I then pick three or four powders and I usually get one that is very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#34]
LITTLE UPDATE,

I went Mule deer hunting 2 weeks ago, I could not find ammo or reloading components for my 270 WBY, So I took the cannon out.

Ended up taking a small buck at 718 yards, and the bullet was absolutely devastating.  it was a quartering away shot,  I held for a little to much wind and hit in in the last rib and passed through the opposite front shoulder nearly taking the leg off.

Needless to say I am very happy with the bullet powder combo that I found.  The result speaks for itself.  He didn't take another step and fell right where he stood
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#35]
LITTLE UPDATE,

I went Mule deer hunting 2 weeks ago, I could not find ammo or reloading components for my 270 WBY, So I took the cannon out.

Ended up taking a small buck at 718 yards, and the bullet was absolutely devastating.  it was a quartering away shot,  I held for a little to much wind and hit in in the last rib and passed through the opposite front shoulder nearly taking the leg off.

Needless to say I am very happy with the bullet powder combo that I found.  The result speaks for itself.  He didn't take another step and fell right where he stood
View Quote

Sweet...congrats...
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
^^^  Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top