Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 9:29:49 PM EDT
So you are bugging out with whats in your pack, packed and ready to go... Do you take your Hammock or Tent??? Winter time, cold, rain to light snow... What you packing and why???
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a place to bug-out to, so I prep to hunker down.

I'm also not very close in to population centers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
No bugging for me ...Stayin right her and will defend ...
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a place to bug-out to, so I prep to hunker down.

I'm also not very close in to population centers.
View Quote

I have both and got to thinking long term for away... I plan also to hunker down, but get thinking...
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
But for shits and grins, what is the better choice??? Tent might conceal better than a hammock, or hammock might evade better... Something like that... That was my thought...
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But for shits and grins, what is the better choice??? Tent might conceal better than a hammock, or hammock might evade better... Something like that... That was my thought...
View Quote

Hunker, hands down.
....unless you're in an area that's "on fire", so to speak.

Bugging out you are exposed and limited to what you can carry.
I'd only bug out if completely desperate, or have it well planned and can do it FAST.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
We bugged out to Co to get out of the heat at home. 8inches of snow and still going. We brought winter clothing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Bugging out (as mentioned) is the last resort. I do have a bob and have a tent with sleeping bag. If I did bug out and decided to stop and pitch the ten I would make sure it was well concealed. More than likely I'd try to stay on the move and sleep on the ground as much as possible.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
We live full-time in our Bug out location.
25 miles from the nearest town,  75 miles to the nearest real city. My private neighborhood has it's own airstrip, rifle, pistol, trap and skeet ranges. Fire trucks and heavy equipment too.
Probably more guns per capita than any place in America besides an armory.
My "gun room", and I'm considered a slacker around here.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]
So which in your opinion is a better choice for long term, Hammock or Tent? If you had to grab one and never return...
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So which in your opinion is a better choice for long term, Hammock or Tent? If you had to grab one and never return...
View Quote

Tent, my wife and dogs wouldn't fit in a hammock with me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No bugging for me ...Stayin right her and will defend ...
View Quote
Same here. I have a pretty solid plan in place. I am literally in the process of creating "fatal funnels" at the front of my property using hedges and fences. They really won't have a choice but to enter and exit using the routes I create in the front. From the back and sides, they would have to hop a large number of other privacy fences prior to reaching my property (I live on a dead end with a peninsula behind me). Even if they hop fences they'll be sitting ducks based on my positioning and ability to move around on my roof. The angles on my roof provide a lot of cover, plus my sea grapes and a very large live oak hide me unless you're actually standing in my front yard and able to look up, so at that point, they'd already be ventilated. I'm considering planting bougainvillea all around the sides and rear of my property for more security.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
In Florida, I would take a hammock. In Cali, I guess it depends on the area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hard to imagine that. I can hang a hammock in places you could never put a tent. On the side of a steep hill and/or in thick bush/trees. Also, in a hammock I have roughly 160deg view on both sides. Rain, snow, cold.. I'm grabbing a hammock over a tent.

Quoted:

But really, is a true bug out (short term), I don't think I'd chose either one. Some sort of sleep pad and a camo rain fly would likely be my first choice.

Long term as you put it, hammock is going to be cleaner/drier/more comfortable (better sleep) imo.  
To clairafy, I'm taking a good, US made hammock, not those little junk $50 things from the corner sporting goods store. Something like Warbonnet, Dutchware..etc with a proper underquilt.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Anything below 40 degrees in a hammock really requires a substantial under-quilt or you'll freeze your ass off.  I've done a hybrid system.  I have a solo (Tarptent) tent that's 28oz.  I've also included a 8oz hammock system, and with my sil-nylon poncho/tarp, I can choose the best system for the temp/weather conditions.

The issue with hammocks (at least for me) in colder temps is that they be come excessively bulky and heavier than a tent/ground system.  That said, anything over 55-60 degrees, I much prefer a hammock as I just sleep better.  Additionally, a hammock will allow you to set up on very irregular terrain that is problematic even for a small footprint solo-tent (or even just a ground tarp).  As most have said if the temps aren't too cold, but the ground conditions are soaking wet or swampy, that hammock is a godsend.  Another consideration is that if you plan to travel at night and sleep during the day, the hammock may be a better option (if the temps are warmer) if you sleep better in a hammock.  Don't underestimate your sleep or necessary rest.  Most can go about 24-48 hours without sleep, but after that, mental errors turn into bad decisions, mistakes, and often mechanical injuries.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anything below 40 degrees in a hammock really requires a substantial under-quilt or you'll freeze your ass off.  I've done a hybrid system.  I have a solo (Tarptent) tent that's 28oz.  I've also included a 8oz hammock system, and with my sil-nylon poncho/tarp, I can choose the best system for the temp/weather conditions.

The issue with hammocks (at least for me) in colder temps is that they be come excessively bulky and heavier than a tent/ground system.  That said, anything over 55-60 degrees, I much prefer a hammock as I just sleep better.  Additionally, a hammock will allow you to set up on very irregular terrain that is problematic even for a small footprint solo-tent (or even just a ground tarp).  As most have said if the temps aren't too cold, but the ground conditions are soaking wet or swampy, that hammock is a godsend.  Another consideration is that if you plan to travel at night and sleep during the day, the hammock may be a better option (if the temps are warmer) if you sleep better in a hammock.  Don't underestimate your sleep or necessary rest.  Most can go about 24-48 hours without sleep, but after that, mental errors turn into bad decisions, mistakes, and often mechanical injuries.  

ROCK6
View Quote

I sleep better in a hammock... Have 0° both upper and lower quilts... Yes the weight is more, but ground sleeping sucks the life out if me at my age... I was just wondering what the general consensus was on packing a tent or hammock... Winter is my main concern...  Thanks ROCK6...
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I sleep better in a hammock... Have 0° both upper and lower quilts... Yes the weight is more, but ground sleeping sucks the life out if me at my age... I was just wondering what the general consensus was on packing a tent or hammock... Winter is my main concern...  Thanks ROCK6...
View Quote

Yeah, I still prefer a hammock over a tent even in cold weather, it just depends on how much bulk and weight I want to carry.  If you can make it work, there's really not much difference.  Yes, a tent would likely be a lower profile, but with a hammock you can squirrel yourself into more rugged terrain out of sight as you just don't need to worry much about what's on the ground or how much flat/open area you have.  

Another option is to have a good CCF ground pad.  If temps are really cold with a stiff breeze, I was able to drop my hammock to the ground with a ground pad underneath and able to use a rectangular tarp with doors to really seal contact with the ground and limit any crosswinds.  It's basically a bivvy setup and allows you to eliminate the need for a bulky under-quilt and the hammock suspension lines are lowered so you're on the ground.  I did pile all my clothes (and my under-quilt) underneath me for as much insulation as I could use.  It worked well enough and helps work around those single night drops in temps.  I've even considered the survival option of filling a large drum liner with pine straw, grass or any other natural insulation with loft and having the hammock low enough to sit right on top (I would still use the CCF pad) as that should work (in theory, just need to try it some time this winter).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a bivy for everything except family camping.

If I was by myself I would go for a tent if I expected to just stay in one place just to have an area to shelter in.

Alternatively you could bivy or hammock camp and then try to build a shelter once your at your bug out sight. Then you would have the quick mobile shelter and also a basecamp.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Good replies... I got to thinking, which is not good... Being in the hills, or I am close to Sierra's, sounds like Hammock is a first choice... Lots of tree's... I am good for each...
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Going to go to west Virginia.

Have:
My 3 ARs
MPX
All my handguns because they're light

Medical supplies and water.

Map and compass.

My bug out place has the majority of my ammo fort. My granny is a hardcore dominican jew that grew up in west by God virginia.  We'll be aight.  If you cant read a map you should learn to do so. Basic land navigation with a paper map is easy to learn on your own and wont get you lost. Find a local park and download the park map (most have topo options) and get a piece of string and cheaper compass for now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We live full-time in our Bug out location.
25 miles from the nearest town,  75 miles to the nearest real city. My private neighborhood has it's own airstrip, rifle, pistol, trap and skeet ranges. Fire trucks and heavy equipment too.
Probably more guns per capita than any place in America besides an armory.
My "gun room", and I'm considered a slacker around here.

https://i.imgur.com/akCod24.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kWTPLov.jpg
View Quote
Any hint to where this awesome place in FL is?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#22]
same here   although I have a back up location
ETA  I have a pop up camper at my back up location with a 3 sided shelter I could place it under for additional weather protection
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I don’t think there is a realistic on foot bug out scenario for me, but if there was it would be a complete breakdown of civilization where I would face imminent death if I didn’t leave. In those scenarios, barring extreme cold it would be much smarter to sleep on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t think there is a realistic on foot bug out scenario for me, but if there was it would be a complete breakdown of civilization where I would face imminent death if I didn’t leave. In those scenarios, barring extreme cold it would be much smarter to sleep on the ground.
View Quote

I think it's regionally specific.  There are some places here in GA, and definitely in FL, LA, and AL where getting off the ground is the only way you'll be able to sleep without being soaked.  That said, my preference is still a hammock, but I also have the separate rain fly (ala tarp), a sleeping pad, ground cover, and bivy bag (more-so for colder temps or no vertical structures to hang a hammock).  I will agree, you can get a much lower profile with a bivy-tent or ground setup, but I've slept quite comfortably in swamp and a foot of water directly below me using a hammock...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]
no bugging out for me.  I have maybe 5 neighbors within a mile.  If it ever gets to that point, we can be self sufficient.

Honestly, the best plan would be to hunker down for a few days.  Let the mobs thin themselves out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
no bugging out for me.  I have maybe 5 neighbors within a mile.  If it ever gets to that point, we can be self sufficient.
Honestly, the best plan would be to hunker down for a few days.  Let the mobs thin themselves out.
View Quote

This ...  

These days bugging-IN is looking like the wiser option all the time, especially if you've already relocated to a less-populated rural area, as we did.

If a SHTF scenario does dissolve into a 'Purge'-type event (likely in densely populated urban zones, e.g, think Baltimore after Freddy Gray), why jump into your car and chance heading into it?

Just stay where you're at and be ready to defend what's yours if things heads your way.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't own a hammock, at least nothing that's a modern camping style hammock.
Am I coming back? How much pre-warning was there?
I figure that I'll bring my usual tent to be safe; its better than nothing in terms of shelter.
If its a one way trip the food bag is getting maxed out, which will suck in the near-term.
One change of clothes, the tent and sleep system, as much food as possible, no room for non-essentials
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
These days bugging-IN is looking like the wiser option all the time, especially if you've already relocated to a less-populated rural area, as we did.
View Quote

You’ll get no argument for me.  I think those living in a higher population-density may have to consider longer term survivability, but most who actually take the time to consider their preparation are much better off “bugging in”.  Even if you have a remote, fully resourced and secure bugout location on a private mountain, simply driving puts you at risk and if on foot for anything more than a week, you are closer to being a targeted refugee than someone “prepared”.

That said, still think there are situations that require some planning for bugging out and most of those revolve around some event that makes your domicile or local area untenable.  Think hurricane, massive tornado damage, flooding, house-fire/wildfire, mud-slides, volcanic eruptions, significant structural damage from an earthquake, etc.  On the human-side of things, if you have any railroads or chemical or nuclear plants nearby, those are potential threat vectors that could force you to evacuate.  Most of these are short-term events (for me, anything involving bugging out is going to be a short term event that involves insurance more than bullets).

Another situation is for younger members.  My son is still in school about 100 miles away. He’s in an apartment complex and is prepared for a week or so if things turned south.  His primary/long-term plan is to bugout and get home, but bugging-in for more than a week is not very feasible for a poor college kid…

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top