Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2022 2:31:57 AM EDT
Hi,

Hey quick question for you all. I have $60,000 in savings. I sold a property I inherited. My home is paid off my vehicles are paid off I have plenty of guns and ammo and food for three years. Considering our current economy what would you all do with some of this? What investments? I’m not a money guy and am not rich. We bring in about $80k/yr. I would like to plan wisely, and not just spend the money. I am 56 years old and my wife is 54 and we are not in need of any toys.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd invest it in a low fee index fund that tracks the S&P500. Such as VOO, IVV, or SPY.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem with finance questions is nobody gives all the data we need to advise you.

That said treasurydirect. Gov I bonds are paying 9.6%. You can get 10k per calendar year per person plus gift box another 10k this year.

Ill also assume you already maxed your retiremet accounts
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I was a police officer for 30 yrs. I moved between State retirement jobs and a tribal police that offered a 401k I didn’t buy in to. When I left the state retirement job at 33 yrs old I stupidly pulled it. Police work in my county, back then paid crap. So I believed at that time that I would stay with travel police. That being said I have 11 years in a public employee retirement account, that I need 20 years to retire. The cost of buying it back is way more than the money I have.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Tax burden?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tax burden?
View Quote

Umm, gotta pay uncle sugar and 10% to the big guy. This your first time?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
You would probably get better advice here.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Business-andamp-Investing/133/
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Put it in gold in about 2 months. Then just hang onto that for a few years. Then profit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Umm, gotta pay uncle sugar and 10% to the big guy. This your first time?
View Quote

Oh, lol, taxes have been paid
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the survival forum, not the finance forum, which is in general.  So I assume he meant what survival stuff should he buy

I’d make sure you keep enough cash to weather primary income loss for a while, then get a sustainable, discrete supply of water, electricity, fuel
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Things to think of…

When is the last time the roof on the house been replaced?

Cars ok on tires or are they 5k miles to replacement?

How’s the water heater, furnace, AC ?

Any leaky windows in the house?

Last time you took a honest vacation to relax with your partner?

House need paint?

What other 5-10 k items are at end of life in your household?  Time for a kitchen remodel?  How’s the carpet?  

Not enough site resources to type it all out…
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Survival Forum, ......NVGs and thermal..... protect your shit at night. Debt free, guns ammo and a food stash for years very well set. NVGs and thermals wouldn't be toys, vital for night time operations. Then do the finance advise.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The house maintenance advice above is good. Not sure where you are as far as energy preps
(e.g. generator, stored fuel) or if that's feasible where you are, but that's another place to look.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Preventative maintenance is always good.
Retirement planning--do you have that sorted?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The problem with finance questions is nobody gives all the data we need to advise you.

That said treasurydirect. Gov I bonds are paying 9.6%. You can get 10k per calendar year per person plus gift box another 10k this year.

Ill also assume you already maxed your retiremet accounts
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Last December we stayed in a VRBO cabin in Mayhill near Cloudcroft.  We visited Ruidoso a couple times.  

I don't know how the travel/tourism industry will hold up as the economy tanks next year, BUT if you're staying in NM and looking for a way to make passive income a VRBO cabin in the mountains may be an idea to look into.

With all the military at Holloman and White Sands, I would think you could keep some regular business.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d be looking for real estate as either a BOL, hunting property, investment property, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top