Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2023 8:31:15 AM EDT
Hey guys, been going down the rabbit hole of the missing sub. And while my 14 ft alumacraft won't be seeing the Atlantic it got me thinking of worst case.    
   Was looking for some sort of gps/ ping device or system that wouldn't break the bank.  Would take it out fishing etc.  
The largest waters my boat has seen is lake Michigan.  You guys use anything in regards to location, emergency?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#1]
PLB/EPIRB?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:40:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WWolfe] [#2]
VHF with AIS

Or, one of those Spot Tracker devices where you subscribe and can send up to a few messages via satellite.  Like "I'm OK, but running late" or "send help now"
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Garmin In-Reach Mini 2.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The Spots were decent in their day, but are kind of outdated now. Garmin Inreach is what I use plus an AIS radio.

You have to consider exactly what you want.  Automatic activation and just pinging a location?  Plenty of basic EPIRB's do that and while not exactly cheap are within reach.

Auto/manul with ability to send text  messages?  That's going to be pricier and may require a subscription plan.

You might want to look at a sattelite phone instead of an EPIRB.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Cobra HH600FLTBTGPS is one possibility, depending on how far out you go.

https://www.cobra.com/products/mrhh600
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As said epirbs or look at these.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/marine/handhelds-gps-and-watches/

The 73 and 79 float.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ty_Webb:
Garmin In-Reach Mini 2.
View Quote

This.  But you’re likely going to want the monthly plan that allows unlimited tracking of your location every 10 mins or less.  I haven’t looked at plans lately but that one is maybe $70 a month … I think.

The upside is that you can suspend the plan at any point when you’re not using it and you won’t get charged after that current 30 day period elapses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top