Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2018 7:06:47 PM EDT
Guys,

Years ago, I saw a RES-Q-ME auto glass breaker demoed on YouTube....so I bought two...one for me and one for my wife. They’re small enough to keep on your key chain.

Just this past weekend, I was doing a detail as an auxiliary cop.....some local Halloween festival type thing...and I ended up using it.

Some young guy came up to our foot post and told us that he had locked his keys in his car. He asked if any of us had a slim jim. None of us did.

He didn’t want to call a locksmith, he didn’t want to take a cab home, he didn’t want to call anyone at his house. He said he was just going to break the glass on one of the side rear windows.

I walked with him down to his car and handed him my RES-Q-ME. For liability reasons, I wasn’t going to break this guy’s glass.

He placed the device against the glass and slowly began to push.

A second later, boom....the entire piece of glass spiderwebbed.

He just pushed the rest in with an open hand.

It was amazing.

These things are cheap and they work.

They also come with a seatbelt cutter.

(Yes, I checked his ID, his registration, etc)Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep one zip tied to the signal lever in every one of my automobiles.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely a great tool to have!

I was trained to punch in a lower corner of the window in case the glass wasn't structurally-sound anymore, or old, and chose to fall down.

If time isn't a factor, and with some practice, you can punch a corner and then work a GLOVED hand inside to push the glass outward from the edges so it isn't all over the inside of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep one zip tied to the signal lever in every one of my automobiles.
View Quote
I keep one zip tied to the oh shit handles in my truck - both sides.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They're pretty great, especially if you've seen how hard it can be to break a window without them sometimes.

I attacked a school bus with one after extrication training and it eventually stopped working but it must have been after ~10 windows plus just popping it on random things to see what it would do...

My intention was to give each of my firefighters three of them -- one for their personal use (to stick on their keychain or have in their car or whatever), one to keep on their turnout gear, and one to practice / train with.  That's a little cost prohibitive for the made in the USA versions so I started looking on ebay and found some for less than $2 that look identical (but without the logo).  I wasn't sure if they'd work so I bought a couple to try out and one of my firefighters reported at a training class that they worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a career firefighter and have kept one clipped to my gear for a long time. I've used it lots and we keep them on our dive gear also. Fyi... those small side windows cost more to replace then the big side window
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the review.  Just ordered a 3 pack.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a place to order these where you’re guaranteed to get a USA made one and not a China made fake ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there a place to order these where you’re guaranteed to get a USA made one and not a China made fake ?
View Quote
Never mind. I found the manufactures website .
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Love those things.  I got one for every member of my family to keep on their keychains.  Just might come in handy one day.  I hope they never have to use them, but it's nice to be prepared.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a opening cheap kit. It was about $15 and gets most stuff open.
A mild steel rod that is about 3 feet long works for the rest by poking buttons
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the kink...
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
All 3 of my vehicles have laminated side glass. 1948, 2013, 2017.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top