Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2023 1:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Power2thePeople]
I was able to take this beautiful cow on day 4 of my hunt; of course after having bulls 20 yards from me (and no bull tag)

Double lunged her with an offhand shot at 90 yards. Clean pass through and piled up in 30 yards. She wedged herself in between a two trees on the side of a steep ass mountain, so she had the last laugh. That made it pretty tough to quarter out by myself.

CVA Wolf .50 Cal
385 Gr Hornady Great Plains Bullet
70gr (weight) Triple 7
RWS Musket Cap

For muzzleloader specific hunts in Idaho we have to use a solid lead bullet, loose powder, musket caps and iron sights.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome elk man! Every elk is a trophy…

Subscribed, hopefully I’ll add my own pics in a few weeks but love seeing others success.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Power2thePeople:
I was able to take this beautiful cow on day 4 of my hunt; of course after having bulls 20 yards from me (and no bull tag)

Double lunged her with an offhand shot at 90 yards. Clean pass through and piled up in 30 yards. She wedged herself in between a two trees on the side of a steep ass mountain, so she had the last laugh. That made it pretty tough to quarter out by myself.

CVA Wolf .50 Cal
385 Gr Hornady Great Plains Bullet
70gr (weight) Triple 7
RWS Musket Cap

For muzzleloader specific hunts in Idaho we have to use a solid lead bullet, loose powder, musket caps and iron sights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_6871_jpeg-2960542.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_6831_jpeg-2960548.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_6907_jpeg-2960556.JPG
View Quote

Very nice! We have the same rules here. Son drew the top black powder tag for Blacktail this year. We shoot the same bullet over 100gr 777.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Every elk is a trophy…
View Quote

Couldn’t agree more!

Good luck this season.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Very nice! We have the same rules here. Son drew the top black powder tag for Blacktail this year. We shoot the same bullet over 100gr 777.
View Quote

Good luck on the hunt! I haven’t tried many other bullets, but these shoot so well I don’t feel like I need to use anything else.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish I could say it was mine.  I helped a friend who arrowed this one on 9-4.  Just my machine.

Attachment Attached File

3 + weeks of great times was all for me, but I have a mid November rifle cow tag.

Attachment Attached File

It was hot up there and we ate a lot of these.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY] [#6]
My 14 yr old got his first antelope this morning.
13 inches which is pretty good for a KS buck.  

150 yards, Howa 1500 sporter in 6mm creedmoor.  Hornady 108gr ELD-M factory loads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onesureshot] [#7]
I finally get to post an elk, after decades of never getting anything. We did at least see elk last year, but only had spike tags and managed to find herds with no spikes. But this year my son and I were hiking to a spot I found on OnX and came through an unmapped burn scar. As we were working across it, we heard a bugle in the heavy pines to our southwest. A few minutes later heard another bugle that sounded closer. I blew a cow call and got an immediate response. Waited about ten minutes and gave another cow call and he bugled again. We found a spot to sit down and waited. About ten minutes later I catch brown movement in a small window to my left. Put glass on it and see that it is an elk, but can’t tell what. As I am watching the brown spot it turns and I can see brow tines through the trees above the brown spot. Grab the rifle and put the cross hairs on the center of the brown spot in the clearing which I am assuming is the frontal chest and pull the trigger. Hear it crashing through the trees and show my son where it was, had him stay and watch to make sure I end up in the right spot. Walk over and find torn up ground where he ran off but no blood. Range my son 104 yards, should have connected. Wait for my son and we start combing the timber and find this guy piled up about 40 yards from where I shot him. My fist elk and a bucket list item checked off. Might not be a record book trophy, but is a trophy to me, and not bad for a General Season bull hunt in Utah. And a shot at 2:30 in the afternoon of opening day was not what I was expecting for sure.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By onesureshot:
I Finally get to post an elk, after decades of never getting anything. We did at least see elk last year, but only had spike tags and managed to find herds with no spikes. But this year my son and I were hiking to a spot I found on OnX and came through and unmapped burn scar. As we were working across it, we heard a bugle in the heavy pines to our southwest. A few minutes later heard another bugle that sounded closer. I blew a cow call and got an immediate response. Waited about ten minutes and gave another cow call and he bugled again. We found a spot to sit down and waited. About ten minutes later I catch brown movement in a small window to my left. Put glass on it and see that it is an elk, but can’t tell what. As I am watching the brown spot it turns and I can see brow tines through the trees above the brown spot. Grab the rifle and put the cross hairs on the center of the brown spot in the clearing which I am assuming is the frontal chest and pull the trigger. Hear it crashing through the trees and show my son where it was, had him stay and watch to make sure I end up in the right spot. Walk over and find torn up ground where he ran off but no blood. Range my son 104 yards, should have connected. Wait for my son and we start combing the timber and find this guy piled up about 40 yards from where I shot him. My fist elk and a bucket list item checked off. Might not be a record book trophy, but is a trophy to me, and not bad for a General Season bull hunt in Utah. And a shot at 2:30 in the afternoon of opening day was not what I was expecting for sure.
View Quote

Very nice! Congrats to all who have filled tags or spent quality time in the outdoors.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
My 14 yr old got his first antelope this morning.
13 inches which is pretty good for a KS buck.  

150 yards, Howa 1500 sporter in 6mm creedmoor.  Hornady 108gr ELD-M factory loads.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231293/20231006_093921_jpg-2980916.JPG
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I Finally get to post an elk, after decades of never getting anything. We did at least see elk last year, but only had spike tags and managed to find herds with no spikes. But this year my son and I were hiking to a spot I found on OnX and came through and unmapped burn scar. As we were working across it, we heard a bugle in the heavy pines to our southwest. A few minutes later heard another bugle that sounded closer. I blew a cow call and got an immediate response. Waited about ten minutes and gave another cow call and he bugled again. We found a spot to sit down and waited. About ten minutes later I catch brown movement in a small window to my left. Put glass on it and see that it is an elk, but can’t tell what. As I am watching the brown spot it turns and I can see brow tines through the trees above the brown spot. Grab the rifle and put the cross hairs on the center of the brown spot in the clearing which I am assuming is the frontal chest and pull the trigger. Hear it crashing through the trees and show my son where it was, had him stay and watch to make sure I end up in the right spot. Walk over and find torn up ground where he ran off but no blood. Range my son 104 yards, should have connected. Wait for my son and we start combing the timber and find this guy piled up about 40 yards from where I shot him. My fist elk and a bucket list item checked off. Might not be a record book trophy, but is a trophy to me, and not bad for a General Season bull hunt in Utah. And a shot at 2:30 in the afternoon of opening day was not what I was expecting for sure.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18550/IMG_0435_jpeg-2984739.JPG
View Quote

Outstanding! Congratulations!
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18550/IMG_0435_jpeg-2984739.JPG
View Quote

Congrats! That’s a great bull!
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Shortest hunt of my life. About 2 minutes after getting close to our spot, I see a cow coming up onto the bench between the river/feeding and bedding. Cows and yougins keep coming, then I see one running and looking behind her. Next thing I see is antlers, followed by a bull. I tell me buddy to shoot it, which he does.

We wait maybe five minutes, and another bull comes up. That was all she wrote. 2 bulls, in under 10 minutes total. A tad bittersweet to end it that quick, but now we get to help the rest of the crew find some.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#13]
Originally Posted By 3BP:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177080/IMG_0754_jpeg-2992346.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177080/IMG_0755_jpeg-2992347.JPG

Shortest hunt of my life. About 2 minutes after getting close to our spot, I see a cow coming up onto the bench between the river/feeding and bedding. Cows and yougins keep coming, then I see one running and looking behind her. Next thing I see is antlers, followed by a bull. I tell me buddy to shoot it, which he does.

We wait maybe five minutes, and another bull comes up. That was all she wrote. 2 bulls, in under 10 minutes total. A tad bittersweet to end it that quick, but now we get to help the rest of the crew find some.
View Quote

Two fine bulls! Congratulations!

That’s about how my Wyoming hunt ended last year. Just packed in and was setting up my tent when a bull walked out.

Part of me wants this years hunt to end the same way, part of me doesn’t. I’m good either way, as long as I end up with some elk meat!
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

You are now addicted to elk.  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onesureshot] [#15]

View Quote

Strong work.

Totally get that part in red. It was about twenty minutes after the kill when it hit me, the fun work was over and the work work was starting. The rest of the week I had planned on escaping the world, camping and enjoying the mtns was scrapped for packing my bull off the mountain, getting it down to be processed and cleaning things up and putting the big game stuff away for the season.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

You are now addicted to elk.  Congratulations.
View Quote

I was addicted after the first one a couple years ago. It was a small 5x5. I’m really happy with this one.

We watched a pile of them tonight, hoping to fill the last tag in camp. Hopefully the morning will cooperate.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

That’s fantastic! I’d rather a hunt be bittersweet than end unsuccessfully. I understand that feeling though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]

That’s fantastic! I’d rather a hunt be bittersweet than end unsuccessfully. I understand that feeling though.
View Quote

After a couple days, I am not feeling so down. I have enjoyed this hunt more than I can explain. We have spent the past few days watching elk be elk, bugle, herd cows, watched cows stand up and smack the crap out of each other. This evening, we watched a big old bear doing bear stuff. None of us got bear tags this year, so of course we came across one, but I think I had more fun just watching it.

Made some great memories with friends too! One more day to fill one last tag. Let’s see what happens tomorrow…..
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Filled the last tag in camp today with a nice sized cow. It was fun to watch through the binos/spotter.

Incredible sunset closed out my second Colorado Elk camp with great friends. I could not have asked for a better time with a GREAT group of people.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177080/IMG_0777_jpeg-2995739.JPG

Filled the last tag in camp today with a nice sized cow. It was fun to watch through the binos/spotter.

Incredible sunset closed out my second Colorado Elk camp with great friends. I could not have asked for a better time with a GREAT group of people.
View Quote

Congratulations on a great season.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Congratulations on a great season.
View Quote

Thank you. The last trip was awesome, but I think I was too in awe to truly appreciate it. After breaking the ice, this trip has been unreal. I really got to relax and appreciate everything a bunch more.

If you guys have never tried something like this, please do it before it gets to be too late. These trips have made me appreciate life in general more, but it’s also a nice kick in the rear to remind you that life is short, and try not to regret not at least trying new things.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#22]
Blacktail. 6.5 PRC 127 lrx 300 yd heart shot at 6:15 tonight.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1879_jpeg-2996726.JPG
View Quote

I know very little about black tails, other than that I have heard they are very hard to get, but that’s a really big one, isn’t it?

Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#24]

I know very little about black tails, other than that I have heard they are very hard to get, but that’s a really big one, isn’t it?

Congrats!
View Quote

It is a pretty big one. Most of them are the size of a big dog, or smaller. They are also tough because they are hard to pattern. They also will hold tight in the thick when pressure is on. I can’t tell you how many have scared the shit out of me by holding until I was 5’ from them. I am just lucky that I was able to snipe this one feeding in the trees right at sunset.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#25]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1879_jpeg-2996726.JPG
View Quote

Very nice! Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Last minute bull made it happen. 540 yard shot (past my normal 500 yard limit) but the wind was calm and I wasn’t going to pass on the opportunity. Shot landed perfect and I dropped him in his tracks.

4 miles from the truck, it took about 20 miles of walking between two of us to get him all out.

Also, quartering and packing at night in grizzly county isn’t for the faint of heart.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Last minute bull made it happen. 540 yard shot (past my normal 500 yard limit) but the wind was calm and I wasn’t going to pass on the opportunity. Shot landed perfect and I dropped him in his tracks.

4 miles from the truck, it took about 20 miles of walking between two of us to get him all out.

Also, quartering and packing at night in grizzly county isn’t for the faint of heart.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68059/IMG_1354_jpeg-3004509.JPG
View Quote

Care to share the details on that rifle?
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Care to share the details on that rifle?
View Quote

Zermatt TL3 Short action, 22in 7 SAUM proof carbon barrel, AG composites alpine hunter stock, trigger tech trigger, seekins bottom metal, seekins rings, nightforce 4-32 NX-8 MRAD. Spartan precision bipod and silencerco Omega suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Well done, Buckeye! Where was that?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By lew:
View Quote

Thanks! SW Montana.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Thanks! SW Montana.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

Thanks! SW Montana.

Appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#32]

View Quote

Nice!

The can keeps the grizzly dinner bell from ringing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Very nice! Congrats on a great bull!
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I was blessed with the opportunity to get my first elk this year, a bull like 3BP's.  

My next podcast episode will have interviews with hunters on how the season went.  If any of you are interested in a phone interview, email me at [email protected].  My latest show was all via phone. I am linking it so you can see the quality of it.  Thanks.
STS #2 Shooting the Breeze on Thanksgiving

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Opening morning success with my new MkV Hunter in .270 Wby.  200 yard shot with 130grn factory TTSX's.  She went 40 yards and fell over.  I'd taken out the bottom of the heart.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JLH3:
Opening morning success with my new MkV Hunter in .270 Wby.  200 yard shot with 130grn factory TTSX's.  She went 40 yards and fell over.  I'd taken out the bottom of the heart.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86202/image000000_JPG-3053713.JPG
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Power2thePeople] [#37]
Rang in the near year with a extra January cow elk First time hunting for elk in the winter, and man was it cold. Solo hunt, solo pack out. I was fortunate to be able to pack it down the mountain with a sled! Shot was about 200 yards with a cheapo Ruger American .270 Win with 140gr Sierra TGK handloads. This was the first time using this bullet and I’m impressed with the results. The recovered bullet was shot #2, which was a high shoulder shot. She would have been down in seconds as the first shot was a clean double lung, but I shoot till they drop.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sled pack out
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Cheers, and good luck filling those 2024 tags!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Rang in the near year with a extra January cow elk First time hunting for elk in the winter, and man was it cold. Solo hunt, solo pack out. I was fortunate to be able to pack it down the mountain with a sled! Shot was about 200 yards with a cheapo Ruger American .270 Win with 140gr Sierra TGK handloads. This was the first time using this bullet and I’m impressed with the results. The recovered bullet was shot #2, which was a high shoulder shot. She would have been down in seconds as the first shot was a clean double lung, but I shoot till they drop.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_0823_jpeg-3119473.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_0875_jpeg-3119478.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_0956_jpeg-3119474.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_0971_jpeg-3119475.JPG

Sled pack out
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_1274_jpeg-3119487.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/IMG_1220_jpeg-3119480.JPG

Cheers, and good luck filling those 2024 tags!
View Quote

Awesome! Great photos… Love the winter landscape. Looks like that bullet did just fine!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Remington uml .50

175 yards irons

Had 4 bulls walk by me within 60 yards but only had a cow tag

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By J-L:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20276/IMG_2023-10-05-152553_jpeg-3121808.JPG

Remington uml .50

175 yards irons

View Quote

That is a nice buck.  I had no elk walk by me and we did some work last year..Truthfully I was a couple hundred yards from a dink 4x
That I would have arrowed, if i could have.  My buddy saw it from camp at 700 yards and it turned out I was pretty close.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By J-L:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20276/IMG_2023-10-05-152553_jpeg-3121808.JPG

Remington uml .50

175 yards irons

View Quote

Very nice buck!
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks gents

Love all the pics

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#43]
This fella walked up 30 yards away ,  he smelled my cow tag

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top