Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2018 3:18:25 PM EDT
I’ve tried to turn my old 1987 Laser Boat into a silver and maroon pearl this week to no avail.

I thought that you could use the same wash as a car wash and went to town.  Instead of a shining bass boat, there are white swirls and it just doesn’t look all that clean.

What can I do to refresh the fiberglass and make it sparkle?

Bonus- old Evinrude V6 outboard pic

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Elbow grease.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace it with a new boat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull the drain plug and launch it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Wax
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull the drain plug and launch it.
View Quote
Gotta make sure I have my personal flotation device for this one.

This one is in the lead. I have insurance...
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Wet sand with 600 grit wet/dry paper and then buff it out. Use 3M "Fill N Glaze" after buffing to remove swirl marks.

I "restored" an older Stratos' finish using this method.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I should have stated that I don’t believe there is any gel coat over the finish.

It is bumpy where the glitter flakes are, I would think that the sandpaper would remove the flakes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I should have stated that I don’t believe there is any gel coat over the finish.

It is bumpy where the glitter flakes are, I would think that the sandpaper would remove the flakes.
View Quote
Gel coat is the finish, it's not a clear coat. The glitter is imbedded in the gel coat. My Stratos was the same way. Rough over the flake.

Wet sanding smoothed mine right out and buffing it brought the shine back. Granted, the surface will need to be taken care of and out

of the sun for it to stay smooth and will require periodic buffing, but wet sanding/buffing does work.

Try a small area and see what happens. I bet you keep sanding.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You can try a cleaner wax and then a polish but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to wet sand that.  It's in pretty bad shape.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I would use polishing compound on a buffing wheel long before trying wet sanding, but it might come to sanding if needed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would use polishing compound on a buffing wheel long before trying wet sanding, but it might come to sanding if needed.
View Quote
If the flakes are protruding through the surface wet sanding is the only way to smooth it out.

The flake protruding through will shred a buffer pad pretty quickly.

I tried to buff my old Stratos with heavy compound and it ate pads rapidly. Wet sanding with 600

followed up with a medium compound brought the shine back as well as a very smooth surface.

Wet sanding doesn't take too long as you only need to do the areas with flake in it. On a bass boat

it's just the area around the deck and motor well that need sanding. The white parts of the hull

can just be buffed as there is no flake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top