Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2023 12:42:07 PM EDT
I'm looking for a smaller concealable rugged tactical flashlight that is also small enough and light enough to pocket carry and have in one of the pockets of my cargo pants all day when hiking that's not going to weigh me down and use at night through the woods.  I'm looking for a high quality brand that is water proof and mud proof and can be used in harsh environments similar to the idea of a Casio G-Shock watch.  Battery life is also a important factor.  I do not want a brand/flashlight that's known to drain batteries quickly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Size vs battery life is a trade off.

Streamlight Microstream is pretty much the gold standard for small and light.

If you want something bigger there are literally dozens of perfectly acceptable choices.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Cloud Defensive MCH 2.0 DF
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oregonguy:
Cloud Defensive MCH 2.0 DF
View Quote

This, with a Thrym Switchback.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Streamlight Polytac.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Stream light microstream USB or polytac.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Borscht] [#7]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:
Stream light microstream USB or polytac.
View Quote

@HKPOF

These two are what I have, I don't use the usb ones yet because I would rather be able to jam a new battery in when it goes dead. Both of them seem to store well for long periods of time without much or any parasitic drain like other cheap lights.

the aaa one I carry every day. I think I have about 8-9 years on my oldest one. Been dropped, washing machined, use it every day. I've bought a total of 3-4 for different bags, and for when I misplace one temporarily.

the aa one I keep in my boat bag, has decent throw for it's size. Carried it for a while but the aaa is easier to carry every day.

the 1l-aa is bright for what it is. And can use cr123 or aa. The aaa has 1 mode and works for 99% of the stuff I do outside camping etc. The 1l-aa might be more versatile for you if you want a little more power. Here are run times on it:

Run Time: CR123 Lithium Battery   High 1 hour 30 minutes, Low 14 hours, Strobe 3 hours; AA Alkaline Battery - High 1 hour 20 minutes, Low 7 hours 30 minutes, Strobe 3.5 hours; AA Lithium Battery   High 4 hours 15 minutes, Low 14 hours, Strobe 8 hours

they are also cheap right now on Amazon. $12 & $35

hope that helps!

Amazon Product
  • 350 Lumens On High with 1.5 Hours Run Time with CR123A Lithium Battery
  • Uses One CR123A Lithium Battery, One AA Alkaline OR AA Lithium Batteries
  • 3 Watt super high flux LED, impervious to shock with a 20,000 hour lifetime

Amazon Product
  • Type II MIL-SPEC abrasion and corrosion-resistant anodized aircraft aluminum construction with unbreakable, scratch-resistant polycarbonate lens.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#8]
I dont have a suggestion but if the light doesnt use a 18650, I wouldnt consider it.
There isnt enough capacity in a AA or AAA.

Carry one extra 18650 and you have a lot of capacity.

Something like this.  Its not heavy.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-pd35-v3-flashlight

My olight S2R baton is smaller but I cant recommend it for its waterproof rating or durability. But its size is perfect imo.

Found this fenix light.  Its smaller.  Closer to the olight.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-ld30-flashlight
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HKPOF:
I'm looking for a smaller concealable rugged tactical flashlight that is also small enough and light enough to pocket carry and have in one of the pockets of my cargo pants all day when hiking that's not going to weigh me down and use at night through the woods.  I'm looking for a high quality brand that is water proof and mud proof and can be used in harsh environments similar to the idea of a Casio G-Shock watch.  Battery life is also a important factor.  I do not want a brand/flashlight that's known to drain batteries quickly.
View Quote

Wow, there are just a lot of features and options out there, it really depends on your preferences.

First, I own very few non-rechargeable battery flashlights, and the only non-rechargeable batteries I use are predominantly lithium. The CR123 and AA/AAA lithium batteries are robust and have the best capacity in their non-rechargeable class. Period. Yes, I do substitute for NiMH (Eneloop) batteries for some and it limits output and runtime, but they're economical for mundane EDC or work around the house where you can quickly change them out.

Lithium-Ion chemistries are the choice for output and capacity. 18650 is the most popular, but even the larger 21700 are getting a lot of more love. I've actually been using some Orbtronic 16650 batteries in lieu of my two-CR123 Surefire and they've been excellent.

Size matters or is at least a preference. I still like multi-capable, single AA sized lights for slimmer EDC carry. Multi-capable meaning I can run higher voltage 14500 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries, standard AA lithium for long life, and Eneloop for economic use. The higher voltage Li-ion batteries just allows you to really crank out the lumen/candela output.

Ironically, my Olight Warrior Pro is an 18650 battery light the same size as my Surefire Aviator single CR123 battery light...

Output. When I think of EDC, I like variable output lights. I often don't use the full output modes, using the least amount of light to get the task done and increasing the longevity of the battery. For a defensive light, high output is the goal. A few lights have a high/low output options which I like (Surefire Defender, the Cloud Defense MCH EDC). Activation options are usually tail-mounted, side switch, or both.

Lockout is important to me. While a twist to keep from burning a hole in my underwear, newer lights have a sequence to lock out the light.

Light color is also a preference. For outdoors, I like the warmer tints.

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">

I'm still finding lights I stashed away with either Li-Ion or standard Lithium batteries that haven't been used in 4-5 years and they're still holding a crap ton of capacity. Your quality lights don't normally have parasitic drain, or at least extremely little.

Size?
Battery type?
Rechargeable?
Output amount?
Variable output?
Clicky location preference?

There are a dozen more considerations when you're a flashlight geek, but if you can list all the features you're looking for and budget, the members here could give you a pretty solid option list.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:53:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#10]
Double damn post!
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty hard to beat the AA microstrram you can get for $12.54 right now.

I've carried one for several years. I have other lights including 18650 lights but they are just not practical EDC lights. The 45 lumen microstream is all the light you really need.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:
Pretty hard to beat the AA microstrram you can get for $12.54 right now.

I've carried one for several years. I have other lights including 18650 lights but they are just not practical EDC lights. The 45 lumen microstream is all the light you really need.
View Quote

While I don't think it always applies to everything, the saying, "one is none, two is one..." kind of applies to lights here, especially if you plan to carry a dedicated defensive light. I think it's prudent advice that if you want a dedicated defense light, you should also plan on carrying a smaller, actual "EDC" utility light. There are a variety of such lights, and while I can't find my AAA Microstream right now, as @Ace-of-Based points out, for the price, there's no reason not to have a half-dozen of these stashed around or one on your keychain.

My favorite two recently have been the awesome little USB-charged Olight i1R 2 EOS on my key chain, and the really handy RovyVon Angel Eyes E3, Lipo & AAA Battery Hybrid Keychain Flashlight (usually carried on my pants pocket or jacket pocket).

About 87% of your lighting needs are often going to be short, low-output needs, and these smaller keychain lights will save your defensive light for actual searching, lighting up the woods, ally-way or identifying someone a good distance away.  

One thing to consider about your battery is how many. I don't mind USB (internal only) batteries for smaller, less critical lights, but for more serious use, I much prefer a replaceable battery. Additionally, I mostly prefer single-cell flashlights. I normally carry as spare battery for my lights in a small waist or sling bag, so if I'm in a location where I really need my light for longer durations, I know that as soon as my light starts to fail, my backup should either help me finish up the task or at least I know how much light I have to hike backout or find another light source in that same amount of time.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:57:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#13]
Originally Posted By HKPOF:
View Quote

about 5 years ago, i had the same requirements.

i bought and still use the Streamlight Microstream USB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NDBYTXV?tag=arfcom00-20

best by test.  it's my EDC and i have gifted many and everyone likes it.

eta
pay attention here: the coyote color is "bright setting first push, dim second push"
all other colors are opposite: "dim setting first push, bright second push"

and incidentally, the battery is not fixed in place; if it ever gets tired, you can order a replacement from streamlight right on amazon as well.
unscrew the endcap, drop old battery out, drop new battery in, screw endcap back on.

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh, just as another very versatile and quite economical option is the Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA which can take a pretty big variety of batteries:

Works with:
CR123A lithium (3V) batteries
Li-Ion 16340 (3.7V) rechargeable batteries**
Li-Ion 14500 (1.5-3.7V) rechargeable batteries*
AA Lithium
AA Alkaline (ick!)
AA NiMH (Eneloop) rechargeable batteries
AAA Lithium
AAA Alkaline (ick!)
AAA NiMH (Eneloop) rechargeable batteries

*note that some 14500 batteries with the built in USB charging port may be too long to fit the light.
**Also note that Streamlight doesn't advise running the light with the higher voltage batteries...they work, but you may prematurely wear the light out...

I plan to pick up some LifeP04 3.2v AA to try out as well.

Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA

This is a solid light at a very good price. Long term storage, put a regular lithium AA or CR123a battery in it. Using it as an EDC, use the 16340 or 14500 rechargeable batteries. If it's an end of the world emergency, you can risk using alkaline batteries

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
Oh, just as another very versatile and quite economical option is the Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA which can take a pretty big variety of batteries:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20231124_093833.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20231124_093833.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

Works with:
CR123A lithium (3V) batteries
Li-Ion 16340 (3.7V) rechargeable batteries**
Li-Ion 14500 (1.5-3.7V) rechargeable batteries*
AA Lithium
AA Alkaline (ick!)
AA NiMH (Eneloop) rechargeable batteries
AAA Lithium
AAA Alkaline (ick!)
AAA NiMH (Eneloop) rechargeable batteries

*note that some 14500 batteries with the built in USB charging port may be too long to fit the light.
**Also note that Streamlight doesn't advise running the light with the higher voltage batteries...they work, but you may prematurely wear the light out...

I plan to pick up some LifeP04 3.2v AA to try out as well.

Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA

This is a solid light at a very good price. Long term storage, put a regular lithium AA or CR123a battery in it. Using it as an EDC, use the 16340 or 14500 rechargeable batteries. If it's an end of the world emergency, you can risk using alkaline batteries

ROCK6
View Quote

My favorite dual fuel is the Streamlight 88087 ProTac 90 Right-Angle:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSFVTMM?tag=arfcom00-20

I never tried any other batteries in it other than 123 and AA.  Its a little big for pocket EDC carry at least for me but one always rides in my EDC bag.  Traditional Streamlight polytac runs in an outside pocket for quick access and more frequent use.  I have plenty of the 123 and done mind using them.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have some other higher power lights, and ones that use the 18650 including a newer version of the polytac that runs on 18650 or 123 but those usually stay on my nightstand.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 3:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#16]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I never tried any other batteries in it other than 123 and AA.  Its a little big for pocket EDC carry at least for me but one always rides in my EDC bag.  Traditional Streamlight polytac runs in an outside pocket for quick access and more frequent use.  I have plenty of the 123 and done mind using them.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/20231124_115622_jpg-3038490.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/20231124_115649_jpg-3038491.JPG

I have some other higher power lights, and ones that use the 18650 including a newer version of the polytac that runs on 18650 or 123 but those usually stay on my nightstand.
View Quote

I need to get my wife a new light for her car and really considering the Polytac, will probably get the 2xCR123 version as Lithium batteries are cheaper and do much better in our weather conditions (better for just longer-term storage with infrequent use)

If you have any two x CR123 battery lights, I recommend trying some of the Lithium-Ion 16650 batteries; I prefer Orbtronic: 16650. I still keep plenty of CR123 on hand, but for more frequent use, the rechargeables are big money-savers.

The newest versions are 2500mAh, which is about 80% the capacity of two CR123a batteries (about 3100mAh combined). They pay for themselves with just a couple charges.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]

I need to get my wife a new light for her car and really considering the Polytac, will probably get the 2xCR123 version as Lithium batteries are cheaper and do much better in our weather conditions (better for just longer-term storage with infrequent use)

If you have any two x CR123 battery lights, I recommend trying some of the Lithium-Ion 16650 batteries; I prefer Orbtronic: 16650. I still keep plenty of CR123 on hand, but for more frequent use, the rechargeables are big money-savers.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1ihdrfh4qi/images/stencil/2560w/products/239/1024/16650-battery-rechargeable-li-ion__15525.1605721050.jpg?c=2

The newest versions are 2500mAh, which is about 80% the capacity of two CR123a batteries (about 3100mAh combined). They pay for themselves with just a couple charges.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1ihdrfh4qi/images/stencil/2560w/products/239/1024/16650-battery-rechargeable-li-ion__15525.1605721050.jpg?c=2

ROCK6

16650...  Interesting!
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#18]
+ 1 for the Orbtronic 16650 batteries! I’m using them in two old Surefire G2s, upgraded with LED conversions. They’re great!
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:27:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#19]

View Quote

So it's a pretty simple ass flash light.

I've had a Streamlight Polytac for about 8 years. Actually mounted it on multiple rifles and a shotgun. Dropped it too many times, I used it inside a Pool before too.

It still works just fine, I think they are only about $30, they are pretty damn lightweight too.

I'm honestly surprised.. It will not die.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Streamlight Protac
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Make sure it says tactical on the packaging.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I like to have a headlamp around too, for camping, but I daily carry a Streamlight Pro Tac 1L-1AA, as posted by others.

Secure clip, can clip it to a ruck strap, or brim of a hat, in a pinch, shoot with it, it's just a great all around light.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:
Make sure it says tactical on the packaging.  
View Quote

I installed an adjective filter for that word Seriously though, I think products just throw that word in the description to get more hits on searches

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:51:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deputygadget] [#24]
Nothing works if you leave it in the drawer, desk or car. Some of those fairly tiny extremely small high output lights have proven super valuable when I began to toss one in my pocket religiously. Olight, Nitecore and those little stream lights can disappear and be with you when needed. A few hours ago a ER Doc was fumbling around in an exam room looking for a light cause the one on the wall didn’t work and I handed him a 300 lumen light the size of a USB drive and he looked shocked and hesitated before he handed it back rotating around in his hand looking at.

Don’t discount those little ones amazing short term performance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Fenix is what you seek, unless you you have stupid money.  Then its Surefire that you seek.

You can have both you know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By deputygadget:
Nothing works if you leave it in the drawer, desk or car.
View Quote

My wife got a new car light in her Christmas stocking, a Streamlight Polytac (bright yellow). This is where I like to rely on lithium batteries. I've had lights functional after 10 years sitting in a vehicle with CR123 batteries. Granted their capacity drops, but they're still fully functional.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#27]

My wife got a new car light in her Christmas stocking, a Streamlight Polytac (bright yellow). This is where I like to rely on lithium batteries. I've had lights functional after 10 years sitting in a vehicle with CR123 batteries. Granted their capacity drops, but they're still fully functional.

ROCK6
View Quote

Good choice.  It's one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Surefire E2D LED Defender.

If you want something smaller then it’s the Surefire E1B Backup.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By D6T:

Longest-lasting was a Pelican of some sort from the very early days of LED flashlights, mid- to late-90s or so. Lasted 18 years. Would be considered laughably primitive by today's standards.
View Quote
I still have a couple of Gerber Infinity single AA lights still going strong!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
I still have a couple of Gerber Infinity single AA lights still going strong!
View Quote

Same, I still use and dig those things. Not the coolest tech anymore but a solid little light. I have a few of the original CMG Infinity Task lights too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
It is pretty obvious how I've treated this light.  Over the course of the past four or five years it has:

+ Spent 2,000 miles clipped on the sternum strap of my GORUCK bag in sleet, rain, thunderstorms, hail, blazing sun, sub-zero temps, temps over 100F, etc.  All the time exposed to the elements.
+ Spent THOUSANDS of miles clipped in my trouser pocket.
+ Dropped on concrete C O U N T L E S S times.
+ Been left on so long it was too hot to handle.
+ Hauled up and down mountains, through streams, carried in three foreign countries in some fairly EXTREME climes and weather, etc.

I 100% endorse this option.  Best money I've spent on a light, and I've owned some that cost over $500.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 I have one that looks just like that, rugged great light
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I ran my stiletto pro through the dishwasher twice over a year ago and it's still going strong. I take it backpacking (and everywhere for that matter).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top