Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 2:46:15 PM EDT
And go!

I use a cheap field and stream.
Future father in law was having a hard time with his old buck dulling (prob needs a good sharpening).

But I'm taking the opportunity to get him an Xmas/gratitude gift (he let's me hunt his property,eat his food, ride his quads, etc).

What's everyone's favorite gutting/skinning knife?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Fallkniven F1.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Case xx yellow handle trapper with cv blades.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Custom Buck 110 S30V drop point from Buck Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a benchmade saddle mountain skinner with the G10 grips and I love it. I’m not a fan of folding knives for gutting/skinning as too much fat/blood etc gets stuck in the lock mechanism and the blade slot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Marttiini Knives 161013 Stainless Steel Lynx - this is an inexpensive knife that does the job easily.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I use an ESEE izula 2.  Perfect for the job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Custom Buck 110 S30V drop point from Buck Custom Shop.
View Quote
Find a 50th Anniversary Cabela's with the black blade and it has the same steel with rosewood handle and russet sheath.

Sheath knife go with an original Grohmann trout and bird.
I see they are now offering a folder version.

A friend who worked for a butcher starting at 15 just takes a boning knife with when he hunts and field dresses a deer so fast my brother said you can't follow what exactly he is doing in order to replicate it the next deer.   I've also read that filet knives make wonderful replacement for boning knives.  With that in mind Rapala makes a wonderfull fillet knife for next to nothing and Opinel makes a great folding filet.

Another option would be the Surf and Turf from crkt folding liner lock.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are looking to get him something he can admire for it's fine craftsmanship and beauty, then don't bother reading the rest of this post.

If you want to get him a good knife that gets the job done very well, with little expense... the essence of a straight up working man's tool...  look no further than a stainless steel Morakniv "Companion".  My nice Knives Of Alaska set has remained in in my safe since I was gifted a Companion about 6 years ago.

One of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Stainless-4-1-Inch/dp/B00BTJKB00/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543798135&sr=8-3&keywords=stainless+steel+morakniv

Along with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/ARCCI-Diamond-Sharpener-Professional-Sharpening/dp/B06X6J3279/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1543798506&sr=1-10&keywords=sharpening+steel
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing fancy but this always works well for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
A sharp one with a full belly?

I've always used moraknives and they serve me well.  Plus the hunter orange one keeps me from leaving it on the ground and getting lost lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]
mora... cheap and sharp..
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
These Bill Moran skinners by Spyderco are by far my favorites, and have harvested many, many animals over the years..most all of my buddy's use them now as well....Have used them for both hunting, for processing meat and on the trapline for years taking fur...

Hard to see but the knife on the right is much older(early 90's) then the one on the left(early 2000's), and shows its age if you look close...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#13]
If you really want to get him a knife to get shit done buy him a Havalon and 100 replacement blades. He will never have to sharpen again.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#14]
My main skinning/gutting knives are Buck Diamondbacks. They were discontinued. They aren't really nice enough to consider for a present anyway.

I've been giving a hard look at the Buck 113 in S30V from the custom shop. I think that would be a really good knife.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you really want to get him a knife to get shit done buy him a Havalon and 100 replacement blades. He will never have to sharpen again.
View Quote
That or the Gerber. It isn’t the perfect skinner, but great for gutting. It suffers when heavy duty use is required (separating joints for instance). I might use one blade a season for three or four deer. Kind of depends on whether or not I wash the blade really well after use. And whether I get rough with it while skinning.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife #2 bird and trout.

Small, light, ergonomic, and very easy to manage.

Cold Steel also makes a version of a CBK that is super sharp, holds a good edge, and is very cheap.

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Cutco hunting knife with rubber handle.

You can find them for about half price of retail on a popular auction site.  DD edge is amazing and lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fallkniven F1.
View Quote
I've got a bunch of good knives but this one is my best. Just know that it has a convex edge and should be maintained that way.  Not difficult, just be mindful. Best cutter and slicer I've ever used.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want something cheap enough that you don't care about losing it and sharp enough to beat most Buck junk for a long while, Morakniv knives are fantastic gutting knives.  Clean up easy too.  Can get them all day under $20 on amazon.

If you want something fancy to get full of blood and guts and spend a year cleaning it, go ahead.  I don't see the point.

Bonus, if you get the one they partnered with Dave Canterberry on, bit more expensive, but it has a 90º spine and is a great survival/bushcraft knife too.  Great do-it-all knife for around $40 I think.  Carbon steel though, so keep it oiled.  Sharpens up easy and takes a great edge.

I have probably 10 of these things hanging around in cars/bags/garage/kitchen...they're great.  I have some expensive fancy knives too...but they don't get stuck in the guts of a deer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I've used a Havalon folder for years, but after a run in where I almost cut my finger off (needed to change the blade and it was cold) I decided I needed something different.

I got a Benchmade Altitude. It's a S90V, so a pain in the ass to sharpen, but it holds an edge forever.

Disclaimer: I got this knife for free, I did not pay for it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you want something cheap enough that you don't care about losing it and sharp enough to beat most Buck junk for a long while, Morakniv knives are fantastic gutting knives.  Clean up easy too.  Can get them all day under $20 on amazon.

If you want something fancy to get full of blood and guts and spend a year cleaning it, go ahead.  I don't see the point.

Bonus, if you get the one they partnered with Dave Canterberry on, bit more expensive, but it has a 90º spine and is a great survival/bushcraft knife too.  Great do-it-all knife for around $40 I think.  Carbon steel though, so keep it oiled.  Sharpens up easy and takes a great edge.

I have probably 10 of these things hanging around in cars/bags/garage/kitchen...they're great.  I have some expensive fancy knives too...but they don't get stuck in the guts of a deer.  
View Quote
I listened to the hype about Moras and tried one. They don't hold an edge well at all on hogs and are just tolerable on deer. It's a great knife for the price, but not a great skinning knife. You don't have to spend a ton to get a good skinning knife, but there are much better choices than the Mora.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I listened to the hype about Moras and tried one. They don't hold an edge well at all on hogs and are just tolerable on deer. It's a great knife for the price, but not a great skinning knife. You don't have to spend a ton to get a good skinning knife, but there are much better choices than the Mora.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m glad you said it first. I too fell for the hype. The only things I’ve found the Mora good for is cutting taters for planting and fleshing skulls.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Wiebe Wicked Sharp BOSS DOG
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like?

I wouldn't spend $100+ on a super steel Buck knife to shove up in a deer belly.  Something under $40 that performs as well as a Mora?  I don't see anything like that out there.

I don't have hogs around here, does not concern me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a Morakniv Companion, but have since started "unzipping" the deer with my old Wyoming knife from 30 years ago. Use the Companion for the rest.

Makes the chances of cutting into the gut about nil.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Like?

I wouldn't spend $100+ on a super steel Buck knife to shove up in a deer belly.  Something under $40 that performs as well as a Mora?  I don't see anything like that out there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like?

I have 4 Buck Diamondbacks that cost me under $30 each and run circles around a Mora. They were discontinued, but you can still find them sometimes. I saw one last week for $40, but didn't scoop it up fast enough. The Bucklite Max is supposedly the same knife, but the jury is out on that one. I used it out of the box and it didn't seem as good as the Diamondback, but it was decent. I'd still put it way ahead of the Mora. I'm going to sharpen it and try again.

The Outdoor Edge Swingblade is around $50 and is actually a decent knife. I expected it to be garbage, but it surprised me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#27]
The nice thing about Mora knives is that they are so inexpensive that I don't feel bad about experimenting with the edge profile.  If they are dulling too quickly, give them a steeper micro bevel or give it a convex grind, or just steel it or strop it while cleaning game. Or carry a couple and switch out.

Want a stunt blade? Keep the Scandi grind, remove the micro bevel, and finish at a super high grit.

As far as hype, I've never found a better ten dollar fixed blade than a Mora.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The nice thing about Mora knives is that they are so inexpensive that I don't feel bad about experimenting with the edge profile.  If they are dulling too quickly, give them a steeper micro bevel or give it a convex grind, or just steel it or strop it while cleaning game. Or carry a couple and switch out.

Want a stunt blade? Keep the Scandi grind, remove the micro bevel, and finish at a super high grit.

View Quote
Like I said, I'll never say they aren't a great knife for the price. They're just not a great skinning knife. They're just ok. When you process as many animals as I do, ok doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
How about a knife that doesn’t require a protractor to sharpen?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I like my Buck PakLite large skinner.  I made a kydex sheath for it and sanded all the handle edges smooth..
Not a lot of nooks and crannies for fat and junk to get trapped like on a folder.

They made them in orange and two-tone black as well.  All it ever sees for sharpening is a set of crocksticks.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughs in diamond coated sharpening steel.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like I said, I'll never say they aren't a great knife for the price. They're just not a great skinning knife. They're just ok. When you process as many animals as I do, ok doesn't cut it.
View Quote
How many is that?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Blackjack 125
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How about a knife that doesn't require a protractor to sharpen?
View Quote
Nothing I mentioned requires a protractor, are you trying to be funny, or do you really not know how to sharpen?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How many is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many is that?
I process 5-6 deer every year, at least a dozen wild hogs, and assorted other animals. Last year the others were 3 raccoons, a bobcat, and a coyote.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nothing I mentioned requires a protractor, are you trying to be funny, or do you really not know how to sharpen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a knife that doesn't require a protractor to sharpen?
I’ve done just fine with a stone for over 30 years. I don’t care about your fancy Swedish grinds. The Mora ain’t for me. Like I said, I relegated it to cutting seed taters and fleshing skulls. So it goes unused.

I’ll stick with my Bucks and Cases.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#37]
So what's the consensus on the "guthook"?

Don't have it, don't want it
Have it, but don't use it
Use it when you have it but whatever
Gotta have it, it's the bomb
other...
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

other...
View Quote
I like and use the gut hook but no big deal if I am using one of my knives without ita
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

other...
View Quote
Use it when you have it, but whatever...

Rare that we use one, pretty easy too skin with out one...including just slipping a finger under the backbone of a normal knife to push any internals away from the tip as it is slid along the stomach...
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

other...
View Quote
I have them on a couple knives but don’t use them. It’s more out of habit than a dislike of them. It’s really easy to make an upside down V with my left hand to push the guts back and guide the blade.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

other...
View Quote
I've had them before and used them.  They worked better than I thought they would before I used one.

Not something I think is required at all...sometimes I use them, most times I don't.  Just depends on how I feel th at day and if the knife I pulled out of my bag has one or not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

other...
View Quote
I love mine.  Got a Browning 2 blade folder years ago that has a gut hook.  I had never used one before then.

I hang the deer head down, unzip it from back vent to the neck and then run the gut hook down each leg.  Makes skinning easy for me.  I'll always have and use one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Field dressing?  15 bucks.  I don't skin.  Gerber LST.  Give em to kids and teach them they don't need a huge belt knife to dress a deer.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm a big fan of Cold Steels Roach Belly!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top