Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2019 11:41:10 AM EDT
My father passed last April. He and I were always big hunters but now I have boxes and boxes of heads, sheds, full mounts. They are in the hundreds of all types of grade and deer. White tail, Mule, Axis, Moose, Elk. I just can't see a reason to keep them all. Where is the best place to go to sell them - preferably in bulk.
Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
In for when my wife sells all of mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for when my wife sells all of mine.
View Quote
Ha! I will be keeping some that mean things to me but hundreds in boxes is a bit overboard. He had some nice things and some were ones I killed when I was younger he held on to. Some are from my grandfather he had before he passed as well. There are just too many and I can't see any reason to keep them all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Facebook Marketplace.  They are getting trendy to hand up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try Facebook Marketplace.  They are getting trendy to hand up.
View Quote
Thanks, I'll give it a look. I'd like to sell them all in bulk.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ha! I will be keeping some that mean things to me but hundreds in boxes is a bit overboard. He had some nice things and some were ones I killed when I was younger he held on to. Some are from my grandfather he had before he passed as well. There are just too many and I can't see any reason to keep them all.
View Quote
I’ve got well ove a hundred. At least 15 mounted. I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’ve got well ove a hundred. At least 15 mounted. I know what you mean.
View Quote
HA! I'm not the only one then. :)

I've only a few mounted. Most European style - my father was rich but too damn cheap. Maybe you and I need to start a business.

Here are a few. I own the ranch now and sheds I pick up everytime I go out to work and hunt. I just can't see putting them in boxes and doing nothing. I'll pick up more, I'll shoot more. I'm not worried about it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Many more but no reason to bug Y'all with them. Thanks again for all the advice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Find a taxidermist. There was one around here that bought them by the pound.

That or find a place online that makes chandeliers out of them and send them an email.

Eta: I need to come hunt with you. wow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That or find a place online that makes chandeliers out of them and send them an email.

View Quote
OH ETA -  Thank you but most of those my father took and not all from my ranch. Especially and obviously the elk, moose and mule deer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I took this one before my father became sick. I had many close but not old enough and passed. I did the crappy european mount myself and need to have it fixed by someone who is better than I am. The last day of the season I watched one - just he and six does and I let them walk. Hard to do on a low fence place but hopefully he will make it to next year. The axis deer are back in herds. I had 20 in one group alone. I pulled one of my game cams and there is a very nice one - but I need to thin them out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
No joke. Lol my 10 point in Kentucky pales.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Taxidermy.net
Has classifieds.

Cabelas used to buy for their stores, but BPS now so ?

Big auction in Missouri too, can consign.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Taxidermy.net
Has classifieds.

Cabelas used to buy for their stores, but BPS now so ?

Big auction in Missouri too, can consign.
View Quote
THANK YOU!! I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I can see some knife makers having an interest as well.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good luck
View Quote
Thanks - I wanted to sell them all in bulk if I could. I don't have time to package and ship them all. Heck I wouldn't even know how to begin to do it. I have only two full moose - how do you fit them in a box? The mounts, the elk has a stamp and is WAY too large to fit into anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks - I wanted to sell them all in bulk if I could. I don't have time to package and ship them all. Heck I wouldn't even know how to begin to do it. I have only two full moose - how do you fit them in a box? The mounts, the elk has a stamp and is WAY too large to fit into anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck
@Pirkle said he has a guy who buys all his.

He has a bunch every year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck

I will have to find the guys number my employer got $8,000 for this pile of mixed graded antlers.  It weighed 1234 pounds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you @Pirkle. I've always loved seeing what you have on the place and the pics you post. Taxidermy.net gave me a TON of PM's but many of them warned of people wanting to screw you and plus many, many, were way to far away and shipping all of these is crazy.
You've all been very helpful so thank you again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump for this, I've got to tell my wife the best way to sell mine when I croak. Women always outlive men.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thank you @Pirkle. I've always loved seeing what you have on the place and the pics you post. Taxidermy.net gave me a TON of PM's but many of them warned of people wanting to screw you and plus many, many, were way to far away and shipping all of these is crazy.
You've all been very helpful so thank you again.
View Quote
My employer and I can’t find the man’s number, but I am still looking.  Contact the Texas Deer Association and they will give you the number to the most reputable ones and they usually come pick them up as well as pay you top prices.  The guy we sold them to did.  We get tons of people wanting to buy them every year as we are breeders.  Yours look like skull plates and sheds, demand a premiumium.

Most of our antlers were cuttoff antlers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Will do - thanks @Pirkle
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My father passed last April. He and I were always big hunters but now I have boxes and boxes of heads, sheds, full mounts. They are in the hundreds of all types of grade and deer. White tail, Mule, Axis, Moose, Elk. I just can't see a reason to keep them all. Where is the best place to go to sell them - preferably in bulk.
Thank you for any help.
View Quote
@Rodslinger - Antlers are big bucks when sold as dog chew toys...
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@Rodslinger - Antlers are big bucks when sold as dog chew toys...
View Quote
Yeah between my two girls and my wife, they've taken a bunch already for friends dogs. I told them no more, I want to sell the rest and just get rid of them. I live in Katy but after my father passed I have his house in the Killeen/Ft. Hood area now as well. That is where most of the horns are at. I'm at that house every couple of weeks on my way to my ranch. I need to just do like Pirkle and empty all of the boxes, get all of the mounts and moose horns in one place. Weigh them, figure out what they're all worth and go from there. Obviously mounts will be different than just the sheds and skull mounts but I have to start somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah between my two girls and my wife, they've taken a bunch already for friends dogs. I told them no more, I want to sell the rest and just get rid of them. I live in Katy but after my father passed I have his house in the Killeen/Ft. Hood area now as well. That is where most of the horns are at. I'm at that house every couple of weeks on my way to my ranch. I need to just do like Pirkle and empty all of the boxes, get all of the mounts and moose horns in one place. Weigh them, figure out what they're all worth and go from there. Obviously mounts will be different than just the sheds and skull mounts but I have to start somewhere.
View Quote
The guys that buy them by the pound will usually come to you if you have a large amount. They will sort them into various grades bottom grade if I recall was old chalky sheds and we got $1 a pound and the top grade was $12 for pristine pairs of sheds.  If I recall correctly.

Mounts, European mounts, and skull plate mounts are worth considerably more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]
If you have large racks that you can score you can see some pretty good money on ebay. I see you also have old mounts and when it comes to those you are better off removing the racks from the mount and selling just the rack. Most people do not want old deer mounts and the rack itself ships cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I’d sell them individually on Etsy or eBay. You could make a lot of $$$.

I’m a knife maker and use them for handles. when my supply runs low I have to resort to buying online and usually pay between $10 - $30 for one shed for a knife handle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top