User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

Originally Posted By gruntsoldier:
Originally Posted By bsf:
Originally Posted By bsf:
My jalapeño and cubanelle plants are producing more than I can eat fresh.  I picked everything of decent size and used this recipe, minus dill and red pepper, to can them.  I cut the cubanelles into rings.  I cut the jalapeños in half.  The stem and most of the inner flesh and seeds were removed from both.  I ended up with 11 quart jars.  All sealed.  I like pickled peppers on sandwiches.  Look forward to tasting these in 3 weeks.

My first batch was a success.  The jalapeños actually crunch when you bite into them.  The cubanelles (possibly mislabeled Hungarian Hots) are not as crispy, but still better than store-bought.  I did not anticipate how much heat would be reduced though.  They are all quite mild.  The taste is very good.  I was impressed enough that I did another 10 quarts about 2 weeks ago, packed much more densely.  If I can keep my 8 pepper plants going for a bit longer, I should be able to harvest enough for 7 or 8 more quarts.  The production of my jalapeños and Cubanelles is crazy.

ETA
I have had 0 jars fail to seal.

i did 10 quarts of jalapenos and hungarian hots and they are great. i kept the super chili's in mine though :)

Very interesting.    

I have peppers coming out my ass and I was wondering if you could substitute peppers for cukes in the recipe.  

Any idea if the shelf life is reduced at all?

not positive but like feral said earlier.  what can grow in that much salt and vinegar.  i have eaten a couple pints and they are great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]

bump ...

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Getting to be that time of year to germinate the cucumber seeds.  I still have a couple quarts left over from the sixteen that were put up last summer.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to put these over the top and make the extra crunchy pack a Grape leaf in the bottom of each jar.  The flavor is great and then you have that extra crunch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Just tried 2 jars of this and after leaving them on the lids for about 5 mins and turning them back over i have yet to hear them pop but the lid it nice and firm to the touch.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
bump for later canning
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By simmons5:
If you want to put these over the top and make the extra crunchy pack a Grape leaf in the bottom of each jar.  The flavor is great and then you have that extra crunch.

What is it about the grape leaf that makes it stay crunchy? Curious minds are curious....
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
There is an enzime in the grape leaf that counter acts the enzime in the flower end of a cucumber.  If your cutting the cucumbers into cubes or slices and don't use the end I don't think it matters.  But if you like whole pickels the grape leaf is a must.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Simmons!
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gruntsoldier:
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

Any idea if the shelf life is reduced at all?

not positive but like feral said earlier.  what can grow in that much salt and vinegar.  i have eaten a couple pints and they are great.

Correct.

The Romans used vinegar as an indefinite, year(s) long preservative.

Vinegar does not spoil.  

The water reduces the shelf life of the vinegar, but, you can still expect years of storage if kept cool, and dark.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you think it would be ok to use a half a cup of salt instead of a whole cup?
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BigPumpkins:

thats what I do
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting ready to make the first batch of the season soon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:

thats what I do

you shouldn't really mess with pickling recipes beyond some flavors
the vinegar (acid) and the salt is what preserves the items

it's a pickle, it's supposed to be salty.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

thats what I do

Thanks BozemanMT
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 4:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wifeofelginrunner] [#17]
I have been eyein' this thread all this past year and am gonna be makin some either this weekend or the next. Can't wait to try em!
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:41:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#18]

thats what I do

Im overly sensitive to salt and have slightly high cholesterol I have always cut salt  in half with no problems tried some 2 year old pic's the other day and they are fine but I do get what your saying

ETA Thank You for the recipe everyone loves it

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 1:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY] [#19]
I am gonna try this recipe tomorrow.  I don't have any "pickling" cucumbers though.  Just a bumper crop of foot long garden/salad cucumbers.  I am picking a dozen or more every three days off just 8 small plants.  This recipe should work okay with those right?  Halved and quartered?

Well, ended up with 7 jars of pickles and two jars of pickled sweet peppers.  Now I just have to wait 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Any reason I couldn't save extra brine to use next time?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
I am gonna try this recipe tomorrow.  I don't have any "pickling" cucumbers though.  Just a bumper crop of foot long garden/salad cucumbers.  I am picking a dozen or more every three days off just 8 small plants.  This recipe should work okay with those right?  Halved and quartered?

Well, ended up with 7 jars of pickles and two jars of pickled sweet peppers.  Now I just have to wait 3 weeks.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i don't think you'll like it
we tried it once and they were squishy.

give a shot, you never know, it's all done now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pyro6988:
Any reason I couldn't save extra brine to use next time?

meaning not in the jars???????

we always did
pickled up what we could (every 3 days or so) and then just heated it all up again and did 2 or 3 jars in 3 more days.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i don't think you'll like it
we tried it once and they were squishy.

give a shot, you never know, it's all done now.

I will report back in 3 weeks and let you know how it turned out.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Just made 12 qts of pickles and 2 of okra.  I don't want to wait 3 weeks!

Bozeman––You said not to use "apple cider flavored" vinegar and I noticed that the gallon I got at the grocery store that was Heinz brand said "flavored" so I went back and got a gallon of the generic brand "Best Choice" because it didn't say flavored.  What brand do you usually use?  It seems odd that the name brand would be a fake.  I used the generic one because you said not to use the flavored one so I hope I did the right thing.

Grove
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I had to go look to find out
it's Kroeger (the local store brand, i.e. generic)

you did the right thing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Made up 4 qts the other day using this recipe and cant wait for 2 more weeks so I can try em out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I had to go look to find out
it's Kroeger (the local store brand, i.e. generic)

you did the right thing.

Good to know!

Thanks for the recipe,

Grove
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Made 9 more jars yesterday.  We opened one of the ones we made 2 weeks ago as a test.  They were really salty and I'm wondering if we didn't use enough garlic or dill or maybe I just shouldn't have opened them early.  

Grove
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#29]
well they are pickles
but yeah, 3 weeks, just be patient.

they aren't really done at 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Your 3 weeks are up.  Any good?
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 5:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY] [#31]
Originally Posted By 1Evil55:

Your 3 weeks are up.  Any good?

Haven't tried them yet.  Will open one tomorrow for lunch and report back.

***EDIT***
The flavor was great, but the pickles had the consistancy of mashed potatoes.  Bozeman called that one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, opened up another jar and these are NOT muhsy.  Very crispy and they taste great.  

They didn't look any different in the jar and I canned them all at the same time so I am not sure what the difference is.  I will just have to check each jar as I go I guess.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't wait to taste mine....I have about a week more to wait and then I will be tryin' those babies out!
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#34]
There is an enzime in the grape leaf that counter acts the enzime in the flower end of a cucumber.  If your cutting the cucumbers into cubes or slices and don't use the end I don't think it matters.  But if you like whole pickels the grape leaf is a must.

Wifes aunt uses them on pickled corn.

She puts a tomato slice on her regular canned corn.

Always crispy and good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Never got back on here, but yep....those pickles are super A+! I have several people hooked in 'em and gotta quit givin 'em away or I won't have any! Thanks Bozeman!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#37]

I've been keeping an eye out for some grape leaves but I haven't run across any.  Where do you guys get yours?

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I get them in Shoprite. There in the "International" Isle.  Between the Greek section and the Taco Section.  They come in jars.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, we tried The recipe, and these are some damn good pickles. BozemanMT, Thank you for sharing this. My wife made a couple batches of this per recipe, and a batch without the pepper towards the end of July. So far, 2 jars of with pepper are gone. We also made a few batches of beans with this brine, but havent cracked one of those yet. But the pickles are damn good.

Heres a couple pictures of the batches, and one of what is left of the current jar that we opened last night opened.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#40]
This is my third or fourth? year using this recipe and to date no one has not liked it. Most rave about the taste and texture.
Problem is everyone asks for a jar but I never get the empties back! I see why people charge $8 - 10 a jar now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#41]
My house law is if you don't give me the jar and the ring back your cutoff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#42]
our rule is they are $7 and if you return the bottle (clean) and ring you get $1 off your next one.

almost no one still returns them.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#43]
our rule is they are $7 and if you return the bottle (clean) and ring you get $1 off your next one.

almost no one still returns them.

Never got a jar back and bump because I love this recipe
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I showed this recipe to a friend who does alot of canning and he said he wouldn't store these outside of the fridge because they are not canned, and the brine is not acidic enough.

Is he full of shit?

I did these last summer and they are the best pickles I've ever has
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#45]
Originally Posted By biggenius29:
I showed this recipe to a friend who does alot of canning and he said he wouldn't store these outside of the fridge because they are not canned, and the brine is not acidic enough.

Is he full of shit?

I did these last summer and they are the best pickles I've ever has

Yes he is full of shit or I would be dead
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I HAVE to make these this summer....
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Just a bump for those getting their cucumbers in.....I need a few more before I'll have enough for my first batch of the year.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Every few days my wife and I are making a batch!  The pickles are really producing this year!
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#49]
this is a great recipe.  i've made these for 4 years now.  if this was a bad recipe, i'd be dead as well.  i just did 8 quarts and 2 pints of these today.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Found a jar from 2010 the other day and they are still good
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top