Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 7:55:10 AM EDT
I am looking at starting fur trapping this year.  Nothing serious just a handful of traps behind my house.  Have a lot of coons on game cameras and would like to thin them out for more turkeys.  I was looking at a dog proof trap but I am now thinking a few box traps in case I trap something I don't want to.  Any other advice you guys can give me would be appreciated.  What to bait with?  Good books to read?  Anything, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have water you can set your traps there to lessen dogs, cats, etc. I despise coons and possums.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I used a hav-a-heart trap for Coons a few years ago.  

At least if you get the neighbors cat or dog you can just release them.

for the raccoons capture them and then you dispatch them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Coons are on the dumber end of the furbearer spectrum.  They'll bait with about anything but the further away they can smell it the more you will draw.  1.5 coil springs are sort of the universal foothold trap and are the perfect size for coons.  
     Your state may require some sort of training before you can legally trap.  If they do it will likely cover the basic sets like dirt hole, cubby, pocket, blind, etc.  If not there's plenty of on-line instruction.  Most sets are variations of those four.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve had great success with Coons using a duke coon trap, Just put a marshmallow in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klAweWkDMk8
View Quote

Off topic, but you must be the last of the SMs.  I made SM2 before I went green.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am looking at starting fur trapping this year.  Nothing serious just a handful of traps behind my house.  Have a lot of coons on game cameras and would like to thin them out for more turkeys.  I was looking at a dog proof trap but I am now thinking a few box traps in case I trap something I don't want to.  Any other advice you guys can give me would be appreciated.  What to bait with?  Good books to read?  Anything, thanks in advance.
View Quote

If you use a DP you shouldn't catch anything you don't want to.  Maybe an Opossum.  You can release them if needed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you use a DP you shouldn't catch anything you don't want to.  Maybe an Opossum.  You can release them if needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
HA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top