Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2022 9:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1]
After 45 years of successful fishing, I am seeking advice.

I just picked up a new reel, rated for 20lb for 305 yards.  I am interested in trying braided line, but a not convinced I need to.  From what I see, 20lb. mono is equivalent to 65-80lb. braided in terms of diameter.

Can I run much stronger line than my gear is rated for?  In the past I have run line that was 3 times and had no issues other than shitty casting.

If you're still here, some questions.

- I would need 550 yards of braided 40 to fill my reel.  Is that ok, or do I need a backer?
- Should I run 20lb. braided to stay within rod/ reel spec and just an ungodly amount of line?
-Should I just be my old self and stick with mono.

Fishing is surf casting from the beach/ jetty in the Chesapeake.  Toughest fighters would probably be the rays.

Also, I need a new rod.  10' or 12'?  My current is 10'.

Thanks and sorry for the rambling.
I fish using cut bait on the bottom... not plugging.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#1]
I use braid mostly on conventional tackle for salt water bottom fishing... its smaller diameter and low stretch translate into more sensitivity and less weight needed to hold bottom...  For surf is probably mono... but either will do... less tangling with monofilament.  Given braid's higher cost and low diameter u can use backing if cost is a concern.  If not, get high end Diawa12 braid from japan

ETA:  Longer rods = longer casting distance but longer is a pia to travel with.   I hate two piece rods though ymmv
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerseyRaised] [#2]
I freshwater small mouth fish and know what you’re talking about.    What the fresh water guys do is spool up about half the reel with inexpensive mono, then tie an  alberto knot and finish the spool with braid.   You’ll still have a plenty of braid on your spool, and you won’t waste your money spooling an entire reel with braid that will never get used.    And if you ever have a fish spool all your braid (for some crazy reason) you have mono underneath it.

I also tie a 6-8 foot leader of fluorocarbon from my braid to my lure.

Edit: I just reread your post and realized your aware of backing line.   My bad
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Cost isn't the biggest factor.  I'm mainly concerned that if I go with equal diameter line, I'll be running 100lb test on a 25lb rated set up.  If I stay with 25-30lb. braid, I'll be spooling 500 meters.  I'm thinking 40lb. braid on a 25lb. set up would be acceptable.  That gives me 440 meters (According to my spool specs).  

My only real concern is that I've read braid "cuts into itself" when spooled too deep.  Not sure about this, it's just something that keeps popping up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:

My only real concern is that I've read braid "cuts into itself" when spooled too deep.  Not sure about this, it's just something that keeps popping up.
View Quote

I have been using braid for many years and have many outfits....  I have never had braid cut into itself....   If that's the only real issue for u go with braid.   either will work fine.  I use monofilament in fresh water ultralight and surf (gamma edge flourocarbon)  braid is super limp and tangles more easily and is harder to tie knots with especially at night.   But I wouldn't respool a reel if it had braid.   good luck and report back!
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a spool of 50lb braid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Reaction Tackle x8 braided line for my casing reels (spinning and conventional).
Mainly because of cost. Its cheap, and pretty decent product.

Sometimes I use a mono backer if all I have is expensive specrra or dynema braid if 300 yards isn't enough to fill my reel, without having buy a 1500-3000 yd spool. Reaction tackle has 500 yard spools that I use on my surf reels.

If using braid, always use a leader.

Braid can cut itself if there is too much tension. But that is usually on knots, such as braid to leader/topshot/shock leader/swivel.
If tying direct to braid to leader without a swivel, FG and PR knot is the way to go. FG knot is much easier. PR knot is more difficult and needs a bobbin and multiple hands or a vice
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.

What is special about mono leaders I see for sale?  Can't I just use some mono I already have?
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Thanks.

What is special about mono leaders I see for sale?  Can't I just use some mono I already have?
View Quote

Leader material is a bit different than regular main line mono/flouro.
Same chemical make up, but the molecules are arranged in a way so that leaders are more abrasion resistant and rigid than main line material
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Without knowing what type of fishing you do Ill explain why I like braid.

I mainly pike fish and a lot of it is in the weeds. I like braid because when my spinners hit weeds the braid doesn't flex like mono does and its easier to pull through.

The thing that sucks about braid is it doesn't tie very well. So I use the FJ knot and attach a 6 foot 40 lb mono leader to prevent bite offs.

I hate the way steal leaders make lures run.

I spent last week pike fishing and the FJ knot never failed and never had a bite off. Probably caught close to 60 pike between our party all on the same set up, biggest was a 36" 10lb.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:27:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#11]
Surf and river bank (Atlantic, Chesapeake Bay/ Potomac river).  Drum, cats, and rays mostly.

Bottom fishing with chunk bait.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
No problem using stronger braid than the mono rating of the rod. You’re never going to lock a drag down to 65 lbs even if your reel could.  I routinely double the rating with braid.  Rod rated 15-25, I’ll throw 50 no problem.   Casting distance and no stretch is the biggest pro.   Cuts through water much better too if fishing current or dropping deep. Just don’t grab braided line under tension when landing fish.  It will cut you deep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top