Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2020 12:11:49 PM EDT
We had a brief power outage last week and my emergency lighting plan failed miserably.

I have/had 2 florescent lanterns that take 8 D cells.  My batteries were out of date and so we sat here in almost dark for a night.

I'm asking for recommendations on the smallish LED lanterns that take AA batteries.  I've searched....but they don't always tell you how many Lumens they produce.

I want something that will light a medium sized room but not cause a glare that kills your eyes.

Recommendations?

Also, we were without power for 14 hrs., but without cable/internet for 4 days.  Watching TV on a cell phone sucks, not to mention data costs.

So we bought this  Emergency entertainment

It has surprisingly good picture quality, battery powered and it picks up a lot more broadcast stations than I knew about.

A good investment for $90
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good place to start.  You can even convert some of the non-battery powered units into battery powered with a battery pack.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/battery+powered+leds/
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM8HTIS

i have 2 of these, they work fine
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM8HTIS

i have 2 of these, they work fine
View Quote
I looked at those.  Do they create a glare since they have clear glass/plastic?

I think I saw one that was frosted
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have/had 2 florescent lanterns that take 8 D cells.  My batteries were out of date and so we sat here in almost dark for a night.
View Quote
Take your D cells out of the lantern, wrap them individually in cling-wrap, put them all in a zip-lock bag, and toss them in some dark corner of your refrigerator.

Stored at 40 degrees F, they'll have several times longer shelf life than they would at room temperature.

As a bonus, they won't leak all over the inside of your lanterns.

(And yes, fridge storage works for both carbon-zinc and alkaline batteries).
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazon Product
  • Comfortable to use in close quarters without impairing vision
  • Ergonomic handle designed to lock in upright or stowed position
  • Hangs with spring-loaded, incorporated D-ring, which stows against the body when not in use

Or buy one of these,  take it apart and Solder in a new 18 650 has 3400 mah

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Hiking-LED-Waterproof-Light-Tent-Lantern-Outdoor-Emergency-Flashlight/383215848030?epid=24024316358&hash=item593971ca5e:g:PLoAAOSwC-5dp9bv
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Take your D cells out of the lantern, wrap them individually in cling-wrap, put them all in a zip-lock bag, and toss them in some dark corner of your refrigerator.

Stored at 40 degrees F, they'll have several times longer shelf life than they would at room temperature.

As a bonus, they won't leak all over the inside of your lanterns.

(And yes, fridge storage works for both carbon-zinc and alkaline batteries).
View Quote
Interesting, thanks

Oh and my batteries were new in package, stored in the back of a cool dark cabinet.  I've leaned my lesson about leaving batteries in most things
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Although we have generators for most power outages a lot of us have built (or bought) things like this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Portable-power-pack-help-me-pick-one/22-693155/#i11870753

Which can be used to power lights, recharge small devices, or run a number of small things.    Since the batteries are designed to be recharged, recharging them on a schedule or plugging them into a "battery tender" can keep them ready to go.   And then if you do any camping, they can fit in with your camping gear which can also be a type of practice run for power outages.  The batteries in these are powerful enough to run a small lantern for days.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep - Pretty much eliminates any need for a lantern.

Technology-wise, most "modern" LED lanterns are 2 generations behind their flashlight counterparts anyway - more expensive, more power-hungry, and not as bright.

You can also home-brew your diffusers from plastic drink bottles, styro cups, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Completely NOT what the OP asked for, but I believe applies in some way if using AA batteries. I've been using a Fenix FE12 flashlight at work. It's a very small, single AA battery flashlight that has 3 brightness levels and functions well. I say well enough because what expectations can a person have for a single AA flashlight? Anyway, it fits or sometimes gets lost in any pocket, is self-regulated and has a long battery life. It's not bright enough for comfort when investigating a noise you hear outside your house at night, but it allows a person to accomplish indoor or small outdoor tasks quite efficiently. I'm surprised how long the single battery can last.

I once purchased a Streamlight rechargeable siege lantern to offer as a gift. Seemed high in quality, just never had opportunity to use it. Been tempted to buy another to use as a work light but I would likely find myself disassembling it to see how it was constructed. The base of the lantern is empty which was confusing, but available as storage. Maybe just floatation.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The old Solar Force Lantern was pretty slick, as one could detach the flashlight which was the illumination source.  Unfortunately, Solar Force has apparently gone out of business.  If anyone is familiar with a vendor like the now-defunct Solar Force people, please inform.

The idea of using a diffuser on a flashlight has the virtue of simplicity, but requires either a stand, or the ability of the flashlight to stand, stably, on its' base.  Even so, very easy to jar the table and tip it over.  Maybe a stand made from a small, inverted bowl, carefully fitted for the base of the light, would do.  To save on batts, I suggest such lights should have variable-output modules, and to try the lowest power setting first.  It's surprising how little light one needs for most tasks once one's eyes have adapted.

One possibility would be making suitable arrangements to hang such diffused flashlights from the ceiling, over areas one believes likely to require illumination.  One simple way to do this is to install a couple of inconspicuous hooks very near the ceiling, and run some thin, strong fishing line between them.  The line should cross over area(s) likely to need light: just slide the light across the line to the desired area.  Needless to say, the light will need some means of attachment to the line, and be easily detached, if need be.  The very smallest "S" Biners would do.  If the light lacks an attachment point near/on its base, drill a small hole suitable for a loop of the fishing line mentioned previously.

What we have done is to permanently mount a few old-fashioned oil lamps in a few carefully-selected locations.  The lights are mounted fairly high on swing-out brackets, with reflectors added, to direct much of the light to specific spots.  They are child-proof, and pet-proof, and the oil is safely stored indoors.  This method might not be feasible for renters/apartment dwellers.

I once had an old Brinkmann LED/Fluorescent lantern, but the dedicated, sealed, rechargeable lead/acid battery has failed, and I cannot find a replacement.  Moral of this sad tale is to only buy items that have common, user-replaceable power sources, very preferably rechargeable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I once had an old Brinkmann LED/Fluorescent lantern, but the dedicated, sealed, rechargeable lead/acid battery has failed, and I cannot find a replacement.  Moral of this sad tale is to only buy items that have common, user-replaceable power sources, very preferably rechargeable.
View Quote
We have a couple of the Streamlight Siege lanterns for this reason.   They use standard AA batteries.   Eneloops run for a long time in them.   Multiple hanging options.   Warns you when the batteries start to run low.   Variable brightness allows you to set the brightness for the situation.   I have one hanging in my teardrop.   I set it to red and can run four nights easy without the battery life indicator going yellow.   I have multiple options for charging the Eneloops including solar.    The two donsides are A) the lanterns aren't cheap and B) they don't generate heat which can be really nice on a really cold day.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Although we have generators for most power outages a lot of us have built (or bought) things like this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Portable-power-pack-help-me-pick-one/22-693155/#i11870753

Which can be used to power lights, recharge small devices, or run a number of small things.    Since the batteries are designed to be recharged, recharging them on a schedule or plugging them into a "battery tender" can keep them ready to go.   And then if you do any camping, they can fit in with your camping gear which can also be a type of practice run for power outages.  The batteries in these are powerful enough to run a small lantern for days.

2Hut8
View Quote
^^^ this.

D cells are HELLA expensive, don't hold a lot of energy, and don't store well for more than a couple of years.
decent quality D cells are typically US$2.00->US$3.00 each: example

a rechargeable 12V 7AH AGM/gel cell is ~US$20 either at HD or via Amazon, and a 12V 12AH version is less than $10 more.
it will last thousands of charge/discharge cycles, and self-discharge is only about 1% per month.

add on some USB charging receptacles, and whatever else you might need, and you have a long lasting "base of operations" power box.
all of the things that work in your car (mobile phone charger, etc) will work from the power box equally well.
i added a LED-based VBL (very bright light) to one of my boxes, as it makes hooking up the generator outside really easy in the dark.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm asking for recommendations on the smallish LED lanterns that take AA batteries.  I've searched....but they don't always tell you how many Lumens they produce.
View Quote
i have two other suggestions...
AA-based non-directional camping light (soft):  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BCMXJES

AAA-based headlamp, which makes doing things in the dark much easier than with one hand holding a flashlight:  
https://www.amazon.com/PETZL-TIKKINA-Headlamp-Standard-Lighting/dp/B01KYTR76Q

ps
you may also want to read through:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Sandy-12-days-without-power-what-worked-what-didn-t-/17-661411/
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought Milwaukee M18 lights and keep spare batteries on hand.

This one and this one.

Not ran on AA and not cheap, but I trust these a whole lot more than what else is out there.  I also use Milwaukee cordless tools that have the same batteries, so it makes sense to go this route.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The old Solar Force Lantern was pretty slick, as one could detach the flashlight which was the illumination source.  Unfortunately, Solar Force has apparently gone out of business.  If anyone is familiar with a vendor like the now-defunct Solar Force people, please inform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Closest thing I can think of is Convoy - Great build quality for the price.

Quoted:
I bought Milwaukee M18 lights and keep spare batteries on hand.

This one and this one.

Not ran on AA and not cheap, but I trust these a whole lot more than what else is out there.  I also use Milwaukee cordless tools that have the same batteries, so it makes sense to go this route.
It's also pretty easy to build an adapter to use them with 12 volt devices - DC Down-Converter with Quick-Connect Terminals for connecting it to your power tool batteries.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I took one look at that thought "modern Moonbeam!!!!!!"    Yeah, I know that the modern Moonbeam is actually the Side Winder.

But if someone made a headband that you could attach a sidewinder to then they would really have something.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I took one look at that thought "modern Moonbeam!!!!!!"    Yeah, I know that the modern Moonbeam is actually the Side Winder.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/USMC_flashlights.jpg/689px-USMC_flashlights.jpg

But if someone made a headband that you could attach a sidewinder to then they would really have something.
View Quote
I have both of those lights.  The GI flashlight, with appropriate LED drop-in, is fairly decent, and can be used as a fire-starter, with a couple  of wires+alligator clips and some steel wool, all stored in the end cap, in lieu of the usual filters.  The other light is pretty decent.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we're talking  

To flesh things out a bit, we do have generators and flashlights.

In this case we knew power wasn't going to be out long, we could see the trucks down the street putting the lines up.  But, it was still dark and the stock of D cells were all dead, we needed light to cook and eat and just hang out.

Since like most everyone, we use a lot of AA bats, I thought they would be a good choice since we always have AA's and they don't don't get old.

Thanks for the suggestions
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a couple of Convoys, an S2+ and a C8+.  Both are 5000K Cree XP-L and 1000 claimed lumens on turbo.  They both seem pretty rugged, the S2+ lives in my work backpack.  Recently got back into collecting and modding flashlights, I have tiny ones like the Olight I3E EOS to ones that use multiple 26650 and have ludicrous outputs.

Banggood and Fasttech usually have better selection and prices, but Fasttech seems to no longer accept credit cards only PayPal or crypto.  The quality of the Chinese lights has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years.

mm
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a couple of Convoys, an S2+ and a C8+.  Both are 5000K Cree XP-L and 1000 claimed lumens on turbo.  They both seem pretty rugged, the S2+ lives in my work backpack.  Recently got back into collecting and modding flashlights, I have tiny ones like the Olight I3E EOS to ones that use multiple 26650 and have ludicrous outputs.

Banggood and Fasttech usually have better selection and prices, but Fasttech seems to no longer accept credit cards only PayPal or crypto.  The quality of the Chinese lights has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years.

mm
View Quote

Convoy lights are a pretty good value.  Check out Emisar at International-Outdoors. Awesome lights for a fair price.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

^^^ this.

D cells are HELLA expensive, don't hold a lot of energy, and don't store well for more than a couple of years.
decent quality D cells are typically US$2.00->US$3.00 each: example

a rechargeable 12V 7AH AGM/gel cell is ~US$20 either at HD or via Amazon, and a 12V 12AH version is less than $10 more.
it will last thousands of charge/discharge cycles, and self-discharge is only about 1% per month.

add on some USB charging receptacles, and whatever else you might need, and you have a long lasting "base of operations" power box.
all of the things that work in your car (mobile phone charger, etc) will work from the power box equally well.
i added a LED-based VBL (very bright light) to one of my boxes, as it makes hooking up the generator outside really easy in the dark.

ar-jedi

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/103564-2/IMG_20190105_155301.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/103567-2/IMG_20190105_154918.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/103575-2/IMG_20190105_155227.JPG
View Quote
You had a build thread on these. Do you still have a link?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You had a build thread on these. Do you still have a link?
View Quote
not a build thread but a series of posts in the following thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Portable-power-pack-help-me-pick-one/22-693155/

scroll down a bit, there are a couple of posts.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check out Emisar at International-Outdoors. Awesome lights for a fair price.
View Quote
Very nice. Link
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a set of these.
Honeywell 600 lumen worklight 2pk
3 different brighness settings, USB chargeable
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a set of these.
Honeywell 600 lumen worklight 2pk
3 different brighness settings, USB chargeable
View Quote
Another great suggestion

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/USMC_flashlights.jpg/689px-USMC_flashlights.jpg

View Quote
What you seek is the Sidewinder Compact II.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What you seek is the Sidewinder Compact II.
View Quote
It would appear that you are correct.   I originally rejected the Sidewinder Compact because I standardized on AA's and it didn't use AA's.   It appears that the Compact II is an improvement and it can use AA's.   I will have to check that out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Ryobi sells a power converter that their 18v batteries plug into. If you are a Ryobi guy and have their batteries you would be set.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4237/35060871233_c389994093_h.jpg

Convoy lights are a pretty good value.  Check out Emisar at International-Outdoors. Awesome lights for a fair price.

Chris
View Quote
Ooooooh...lemme guess.  An S2, an M1, C8, M2, and (?) a pair of S2s with 18350 tubes?

OP, there is a Candlepower forum on Facebook, it seems to have at least as much activity as the website.

Budgetlight forum has a section for LED lanterns.

mm
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ooooooh...lemme guess.  An S2, an M1, C8, M2, and (?) a pair of S2s with 18350 tubes?

OP, there is a Candlepower forum on Facebook, it seems to have at least as much activity as the website.

mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4237/35060871233_c389994093_h.jpg

Chris

mm
Pretty much correct.

The green is a custom triple XP-L with a 6A LD-2 driver from now defunct 3Tronics out of London, England.

I also have the 18650 tubes for the S2+ lights.

For the Emisar link that Ski provided, I have the D1, D1S, D4 and D4V2 with the disco aux. lights and they’re all awesome for pennies.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll admit to having some bias here, but the BLF LT1 is a really nice lantern. Long run times, USB rechargeable, long shelf time between recharges, low to no glare, lots of fun geek tricks built in like a go-to-bed dim to off feature, no leaking AAs... You can find them for about $50, or about $63 with 4 18650 lithium ion rechargables.

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ryobi sells a power converter that their 18v batteries plug into. If you are a Ryobi guy and have their batteries you would be set.
View Quote
That Ryobi converter is stupid expensive for a simple DC voltage converter. It should sell for far less.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It would appear that you are correct.   I originally rejected the Sidewinder Compact because I standardized on AA's and it didn't use AA's.   It appears that the Compact II is an improvement and it can use AA's.   I will have to check that out.

Thanks.
View Quote
I have not used mine extensively, but it seems to work well.  My usual headlamp is an older Petzl Tikka with a NVG compatible blue cover, at work.  The Sidewinder is a little bigger (nice for helmet mounts though!)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:08:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I really like the Luci Pro solar rechargable light.
Get the warm led version with the frosted globe. 135 lumens.

Charge
• Lasts up to 50 hours on a single charge
• Recharge via solar or quick-charge with USB (14 hours / 2-3 hours)
• Rechargeable 2000 mAh Li-ion battery

On sale now 2 for $39.95

https://mpowerd.com/collections/our-lineup/products/pro-series?variant=30110055956503
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
We ordered one Energizer LED lantern suggested above for a test.

It is perfect for our needs.  Small, bright, not too harsh, easy to store and uses AA batteries.

I'm going to order a couple more

Thanks to whoever recommended it.

Spot on
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I put together a USB solar kit that has quite a bit of capability in a small package. I recently upgraded a couple of the lights in the kit to Luminoodle Task USB lights and they’ll run quite a while on an Anker 13000mah power pack. When the Anker’s need a charge, plug them into a USB solar charger (I have an Anker 21w and a Big Blue 28w in the kit). When the Anker packs don’t need a charge, I have the appropriate chargers in the kit to do Eneloops, 16340’s, 16650’s, 18650’s, etc as needed for other light/small appliance needs. A bunch of those batteries are in the kit as well along with a bunch of lithium primary cells (AA, AAA, 123).

The kit weighs ~20LB and is the size of a Pelican 1490 laptop case (That’s what it’s housed in).
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been in 3 multi day blackouts, and another 4 multi hour blackouts, all in the last 10 years.

What I've found is that the most efficient way to light a room is not a lantern, but rather to bounce the flashlight beam off the ceiling:

This is a Malkoff M61LL, which is 100lm, with a 10hr runtime using CR123's. Using 18650's, it can do 65lm for 24hrs, which is plenty for lighting a room.

A lantern will go through a lot more batteries to provide a similar amount of light for a similar length of time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've been in 3 multi day blackouts, and another 4 multi hour blackouts, all in the last 10 years.

What I've found is that the most efficient way to light a room is not a lantern, but rather to bounce the flashlight beam off the ceiling:

https://i.imgur.com/E51JjPs.jpg

This is a Malkoff M61LL, which is 100lm, with a 10hr runtime using CR123's. Using 18650's, it can do 65lm for 24hrs, which is plenty for lighting a room.

A lantern will go through a lot more batteries to provide a similar amount of light for a similar length of time.
View Quote
Yep - and a full roll of toilet paper makes a great flashlight stand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
My power outage light plan consists of buying lamps in the same brand as my cordless battery tools. I own more lithium dewalt and ryobi batteries than I actually need, and while it's not exactly cheap it is very practical to have a few extra tool batteries in the garage for all my tools.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
My advice is to FIRST buy some LED headlamps.  Then, look at lanterns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#42]
My power outage plan is to have a number of wall-mounted Kero lamps (not vulnerable to kids/pets) which also use the same Kero as my large space heaters, which will heat my whole house.  This plan assumes no more than a week without electrical power.  After that, the plan fails.

Never seen more than 3 days w/o elec power here, and that was quite the anomaly.

Kero, properly stored, lasts a very long time, and bought in bulk, can be fairly cheap.

Lots of Lithium batts in stored devices, and many rechargeable batts also available.

Prefer headlights for general household use; nothing like having two hands available.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My power outage plan is to have a number of wall-mounted Kero lamps (not vulnerable to kids/pets) which also use the same Kero as my large space heaters, which will heat my whole house.  This plan assumes no more than a week without electrical power.  After that, the plan fails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

what i don't like about this is that there is a bit overhead in starting them up, and thus human nature then is to leave them on.   that is, as you go from one room to another, you don't "turn off" the kero lamp behind you, you just let it continue burning because "you'll be right back".  for this reason, to me, high efficiency LED lanterns win out; the light is on when/where you need it, and at the click of a button it's back off again.   sure, kero lanterns in a pinch, but the energy-saving convenience factor of a multi-level LED lantern make for greater utility.

Quoted:
Never seen more than 3 days w/o elec power here, and that was quite the anomaly.

i thought that as well.  then,
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Sandy-12-days-without-power-what-worked-what-didn-t-/17-661411/

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

what i don't like about this is that there is a bit overhead in starting them up, and thus human nature then is to leave them on.   that is, as you go from one room to another, you don't "turn off" the kero lamp behind you, you just let it continue burning because "you'll be right back".  for this reason, to me, high efficiency LED lanterns win out; the light is on when/where you need it, and at the click of a button it's back off again.   sure, kero lanterns in a pinch, but the energy-saving convenience factor of a multi-level LED lantern make for greater utility.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

The Kero lamps simply sit there, and require re-filling every year or so, due to evap of the Kero.  Zero maintenance on that score.  Can't smell the evap of the Kero, because it is so slight.

Having only a few, strategically-located Kero lamps, the lamps were never lit before dark, and extinguished at bed time.  

We never left the lamps on when we went to sleep, although we could have done.  The lamps don't burn much fuel at all, set to very low output, and being placed out of reach of kids/pets, are quite safe burning 24/7.  That's what they were designed to do.  We found that the original "mirrors' available with the lamps allowed the light to be focused as desired.  Also, putting up some white paper around the lamps allowed them to reflect a lot of wasted light.

The heaters are intended to be run full-bore.  How much Kero is required depends on the output of your heater(s).

12 days w/o elec power simply requires more easily/safely stored Kero.   I have enough Kero for nearly that, now.

I also have batts and and various means to re-charge them.  The Kero heaters, and Kero-fueled lamps have a certain simplicity to them.  IMHO, the batt-fed devices are another, parallel plan.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#45]
browser trouble, delayed double.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#46]
For long-term power outages, solar lawn lights are another option.

A buck gets you a few lumens for 4+ hours every night, for years.

10 bucks gets you a hundred lumens for 6 hours every night - typically with a brightness selector switch that'll also give you a few dozen lumens all night.

ETA: 600 lumens for 15 bucks
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a couple of these that are rechargeable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B51NRPH/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_YkuPEbE3668DX

as well as a couple more that take AAAs.  Works as a lantern, and obviously a headlamp.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Vehicle Bug Out Gear - Ultimate Lighting & Power Solution for Camping Vehicle Bug Out Gear
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Streamlight® The Siege™ LED Lantern

Put three disposable lithium AA's and good to go.
Long shelf life of lithiums and no leaking problems.
I have three ready to go.

AA LED lantern
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top