Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2021 11:20:31 AM EDT
I’m here to eat crow. Got some gift cards for Christmas to Lowe’s. Bought an Ego 18in 56v saw. I’ve beat the heck out of it for the last week and it’s a handy little limbing and trimming saw. Felled 2 wet dogwoods and it did fine.

Won’t replace my 391 and 460 for felling big hardwoods, but it will ride on the tractor for easy stuff.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m looking at Makitas. From what I have seen these battery chainsaws are for real. Like you said maybe not for the big stuff but they seem to work fine for anything else. Cordless tools have come a long way, I’ve used them daily for over 35 years. My first one required an overnight 12 hour charge
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a beast, 40v greenworks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't  agree more.I bought a milwaukee  battery chainsaw this spring,  and I love it.Like you said, it won't replace  my bigger jonsered Saws, but it lives in my Defender sxs, and I use it constantly.
No noise,  no gas can,  surprisingly  powerful and efficient.
The family bought  me the tree trimming saw that goes in my milwaukee weed eater for Christmas ,I cant wait to try it.

For a family that ownes a small acreage,  or even a wooded town lot, these saws would be all you ever  need.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what I got. even added a 12-inch bar to use when I take it camping with me. The neighbors appreciate it 6 o'clock in the morning when I am building a fire and not chopping wood waking up the campground.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an Ego 18 a month ago and love it. Having the push mower's battery as a spare makes it super nice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is a beast, 40v greenworks.
View Quote

I like mine also.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Relevant to the topic:

Best Chainsaw Brand (ROUND 1 of 2)? Milwaukee vs DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi & WORX

Best Battery Powered Chainsaw Brand (ROUND 2)? Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Oregon, DeWalt
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Also running a Milwaukee electric around the chipping pile or clean up in place of my gas saws but it won’t replace them.

Love Project Farm’s videos, also good watching on the topic (compares internals over performance):
BOLTR: Milwaukee Chainsaw | Destroys DeWalt

BOLTR: DeWALT Chainsaw | Engineering FAIL

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what I got. even added a 12-inch bar to use when I take it camping with me. The neighbors appreciate it 6 o'clock in the morning when I am building a fire and not chopping wood waking up the campground.
View Quote

This exactly.

The 18" saw with a 12" bar is a stealth pocket rocket.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad showed up at the flip house we were doing with a battery chainsaw and I almost laughed.  Out of respect, I didn't, but I had ZERO expectations out of it.
An hour later, I was looking around for more stuff to chop up just because I was soooo impressed with it.  It just cut and cut and cut.

I now have an Ego in the garage.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#11]
What bar are you all buying to swap the ego to a 12in. Would be nice to have a smaller bar for simple limbing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What bar are you all buying to swap the ego to a 12in. Would be nice to have a smaller bar for simple limbing.
View Quote

I just checked, and I misspoke - I went to 14"

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up a DeWalt 12" 20v for my birthday, already had a 20v trimmer I'm happy with so it made sense.
Haven't used it a ton but makes for a very handy limb saw with plenty of torque for the size.
Wouldn't hesitate to use it to take down smaller trees.

Will probably keep it in my FJ for the winter months, as down trees are a common issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
EGOs 18 8nch is a great saw.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I planned to grab one to throw on the tractor.
Glad to hear it is working so well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the Makita. Way more power than I thought it would have. I'm very impressed.

They still lack the energy density of the gas saws. So, just have reasonable expectations on working time under heavy load.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody have the ego pole saw? Thinking about making that my next purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top