Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2018 10:48:40 AM EDT
Posted this first in GD as I couldnt find the ham forum. I’m looking at getting a HT. I’ve narrowed it down to three baofeng models. The uv-5r, the bf-f8 hp, and bf-f9 v2. I know the latter two are 8watt, which one of the 8watts is real or the best? Or I can get two uv-5r’s for the price of one of the 8w radios. What would you do?

ETA: yes I am getting my license
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure everyone has at least one UV-5R. Tons of documentation online for it. For $25-30 it's a good way to listen and learn.

5W is fine. Get the bigger battery. Get the data cable. CHIRP software is free. Look at the N9TAX antenna.

You'll likely end up with another HT shortly after you get licensed, but until then, it's a good option.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You might also consider the UV82 series
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
As a 10 year veteran of all sorts of chinese HTs...

I have the BF-F9V2+, which is the same as the BF-F8, 3 power levels, and newer firmware.  Hold "3" on power on to see the FW version, newer firmwares also have the voltage display if you hold down "0" while the radio is on.  All of the newer UV/BF-series radios like these have better receivers, better sounding TX audio than the first generation models.  the 3800mAh batteries aren't.  I've had one apart to fix a broken wire, and I'm pretty sure I saw 2700mAh cells in it.  Eh, they also make a "fat" short battery that's about 2800mAh (or whatever they say it is).

I also have had several of the UV-5R radios, and have noticed improvements over the years.  I also have a UV-6R, which seems to work well, but, yes, also look at the UV-82 radios, they do have better TX audio, dual PTT, which allows you to transmit on either the top or bottom VFO, and they have special mics that have two PTTs, also.  If you're using a single PTT mic, you need to turn off the dual PTT feature in the menu (or, might be in the programming software).

You can also look at the UV-5X3 tri-band.  It's about $60, but is a 2m/220/440 radio.  We've got more 220 repeaters in my area now, and several are linked, so we're seeing more traffic on them lately.  It's 5W, has the newer firmware, and the quality seems the same as the dual band version.  Comes with two antennas, one for 220, one for 2m/440.

I do have to admit, the Anytone HT I have AT-3208uv is a fantastic radio.  Finally supported by Chirp, it has great TX audio, a good receiver, and the keypad functions are USEFUL.  Ed at Importcommuncations.com has been working with anytone to develop their radios for the ham community, and they've been taking his suggestions seriously.  Hopefully he'll be at Dayton this year.

Speaker mics are kinda sketchy, though.  i'v'e had a few of them that sound good, some that sound hollow and muffled.  i have found that most of them don't have the mic element up against the front of the mic, so there's a hollow space for sound to bounce around.  replacing the element with a better quality one, and mounting it up against the front of the mic usually helps this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might also consider the UV82 series
View Quote
THIS, if it's gotta be a Cheap Chi-Com!

Some further recommendations and opinions of mine are HERE
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
So a uv82 over the other two 8 watt radios?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
The 5W-8W gap isn't really that significant. The biggest thing, until you get licensed, would be to find an antenna so you can listen in on your local repeaters. That could be a mag mount on a cookie sheet, or a N9TAX hanging in a window sill.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hell, for what these things cost, but all of them.

And then eventually buy a good one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As a 10 year veteran of all sorts of chinese HTs...

I have the BF-F9V2+, which is the same as the BF-F8, 3 power levels, and newer firmware.  Hold "3" on power on to see the FW version, newer firmwares also have the voltage display if you hold down "0" while the radio is on.  All of the newer UV/BF-series radios like these have better receivers, better sounding TX audio than the first generation models.  the 3800mAh batteries aren't.  I've had one apart to fix a broken wire, and I'm pretty sure I saw 2700mAh cells in it.  Eh, they also make a "fat" short battery that's about 2800mAh (or whatever they say it is).

I also have had several of the UV-5R radios, and have noticed improvements over the years.  I also have a UV-6R, which seems to work well, but, yes, also look at the UV-82 radios, they do have better TX audio, dual PTT, which allows you to transmit on either the top or bottom VFO, and they have special mics that have two PTTs, also.  If you're using a single PTT mic, you need to turn off the dual PTT feature in the menu (or, might be in the programming software).

You can also look at the UV-5X3 tri-band.  It's about $60, but is a 2m/220/440 radio.  We've got more 220 repeaters in my area now, and several are linked, so we're seeing more traffic on them lately.  It's 5W, has the newer firmware, and the quality seems the same as the dual band version.  Comes with two antennas, one for 220, one for 2m/440.

I do have to admit, the Anytone HT I have AT-3208uv is a fantastic radio.  Finally supported by Chirp, it has great TX audio, a good receiver, and the keypad functions are USEFUL.  Ed at Importcommuncations.com has been working with anytone to develop their radios for the ham community, and they've been taking his suggestions seriously.  Hopefully he'll be at Dayton this year.

Speaker mics are kinda sketchy, though.  i'v'e had a few of them that sound good, some that sound hollow and muffled.  i have found that most of them don't have the mic element up against the front of the mic, so there's a hollow space for sound to bounce around.  replacing the element with a better quality one, and mounting it up against the front of the mic usually helps this.
View Quote
Thanks for this. Of the radios you mentioned, if you could just have one, what would it be?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahahaha yea your right
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for this. Of the radios you mentioned, if you could just have one, what would it be?
View Quote
Probably the Anytone radio.  The only plus side to the Baofengs is that parts are all over the place.  But once you get the radio, 2-3 batteries, you're set.  Antennas on the chinese radios are all male SMA on the radio (japanese [icom/yaesu/alinco/kenwood] use female SMA on the radio) and pretty much all of the chinese radios use the standard Kenwood 2-pin mic jack, too.  Anytone has several radios, some have air-band AM receivers, too.

If I wanted more availability of batteries and chargers, I'd go with the UV-82 radio, they make a 7W version of it, too.  R&L Electronics brings a freakin' freight train full of Baofengs to Dayton every year.    I still use my BF-F9V2+ quite often though, along with the Tribander.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The UV-B5 or UV-B6 is the best of the Baofengs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The UV-B5 or UV-B6 is the best of the Baofengs.
View Quote
This. I've used most of them and these are the best of the bunch. They are a different internal architecture and have much better receiver performance and battery life, and come stock with a good antenna. I also find them easier to operate.

As I posted in your other thread, "high power" handhelds are a marketing scam on the uninformed, which sadly works well in the amateur community.

The slightly cheaper price of the 5R models goes out the window if you actually use it, because you'll end up buying a replacement antenna and a larger capacity battery, neither of which you will need if you get the better B5 to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. I've used most of them and these are the best of the bunch. They are a different internal architecture and have much better receiver performance and battery life, and come stock with a good antenna. I also find them easier to operate.

As I posted in your other thread, "high power" handhelds are a marketing scam on the uninformed, which sadly works well in the amateur community.

The slightly cheaper price of the 5R models goes out the window if you actually use it, because you'll end up buying a replacement antenna and a larger capacity battery, neither of which you will need if you get the better B5 to begin with.
View Quote
unfortunately the B5 & B6 are getting scarce.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm all new to this. Found me exam that close next month and I'm going to go get my ticket.
I've decided on the UV82 for my cheap toss in the bag radio, just going by looks it look like it may be more durable...
Still debating on either the Kenwood or ICOM for my high end radio to use on D Star
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Got a uv82hp and a bf-f8 hp with one na24j antenna on the way. Let the journey begin! Thanks for the help fellas!
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 of the uv82hp's.
Theyre OK to start with.
They will NOT do 8 watts anywhere in the ham spectrum. Probably nowhere else either.
Expect more like 5-6 watts.
As stated by others, it'll benefit from a decent antenna.
I got a $5 fleabay magnetic mount and it was an improvement.
CHIRP was great!
Mikklor will have more info than can be typed here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#18]
YAESU FT-60
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the UV-B5 5w and the 2018 UV-B3 8w. Both are great radios, but I prefer the UV--B3 because it's easier to use. I am looking to get the UV-XR which is rated to be water proof and higher watt.
Once I get the mobile Yaesu FT-8900r I will be using the Baofengs to crossband to Yaesu.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
None.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#21]
The UV-B5, not mentioned by anyone yet, has the cleanest transmit and receive of any of the Baofeng's.  Whereas 5W vs 8W isn't going to make a noticeable difference to anyone.

Baofeng is the Bic pen of the ham radio world.  Take them when you might be losing or breaking it.  You won't shed a tear.  If you break/lose your Kenwood HT on the other hand...

And get your GF/YXL/SO licensed if you can.  it makes the hobby more expensive, but she'll gripe less about the money spent.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I got my Baofengs through Aliexpress. A couple of days ago they did a 5 min flash deal for I think the UV-B5 for $14.00, with charger. That can not be beat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#23]
.......but beware with the Chineese. One seller failed to send me the programming CD, and now wants picture proof of this. And they also sent me the programming Cable that does not work, and they want proof of this also. All for $5 it's a hastle dealing with them. They are like scammers/frauds in many ways. Most of the Chineese products are from stolen technology.

From now on I don't think I will be buying anything else from the Chineese. I will send them a pic for my $5.00 dispute. If I get no refund, no more Aliexpress for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top