Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
MSR Whisperlite International

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
MSR Pocket Rocket
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an MSR Whisperlite. Great stove, but I haven't used it in a decade. Between the Pocket Rocket and the Tembo Tusk skottle, my needs are covered.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Caldera Cone ti-tri sidewinder with a Koji alcohol burner is my go to.

Snowpeak Gigapower when propane is needed.
Svea 123, MSR Whisperlite International, or Coleman 533 when whitegas is needed in the winter.
Firebox or Solo Stove for a nice warming fire.

Plus more than 20 stoves that occasionally get played with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Jetboil for hunting trips since it’s usually after dark when I’m messing with making some supper before bed and it’s quick and easy.
I like a wood burner for leisurely trips. I’ve been using a Solo for several years but I think I want to upgrade. What I don’t like about the Solo is having to put wood in from the top. I’d like one I can feed from the bottom or side.
Here’s what it looks like cooking some noodles with a grouse I shot.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have and use everything in the poll.
It just depends on the situation.
Mostly liquid fuel for backpacking, or hunting camp. (extended trips)
Canister if I know I am going to need it short term.
Alcohol and or solid fuel in vehicles for Oh Sh*t unexpected issues.
Wood sometimes for camping just because.

If I had to pick one it would be liquid fuel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cubie] [#7]
Emberlit stove for me and my wife. Been using for last few years and endless supply of fuel in the woods. Minimalistic, lightweight, and easy to use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I've tried other styles, but I keep going back to my 20+ year old Whisperlite.  

It's heavy compared to more modern stoves, but it's always been drop dead reliable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up a Walmart/Ozark trail branded 4 in 1 stove for $13. Have not tried it yet, but seems like it will work. comes with an adapter so you can also use the 1 pound Coleman green propane bottles, a stand and a decent pouch.

review

I was able to make the cannister stand work by attaching to the cannister and then opening the legs and locking them in place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harv24:
I just picked up a Walmart/Ozark trail branded 4 in 1 stove for $13. Have not tried it yet, but seems like it will work. comes with an adapter so you can also use the 1 pound Coleman green propane bottles, a stand and a decent pouch.

review

I was able to make the cannister stand work by attaching to the cannister and then opening the legs and locking them in place.
View Quote

I bailed after 6 minutes in, and still didn't see the stove.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By Harv24:

review

Yeah, I had to fast forward quite a bit
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 20 year old MSR Whisperlite that still works great.

If I don't have white gas handy or just feel in a mood, I will use a solo stove.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
When it’s not going to be really cold (which is most of the time) I prefer canister stoves.  Hoping to pick up a Soto like this one in the near future. I’ve heard great things about them.
View Quote

I’ve been using the Soto stove for years.  It has never failed me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I have MSR XGK stoves that have been everywhere.  I also have a Whisperlite International that I use sometimes.  When I backpack, it is with several people for several days, often in varying altitude.  I haven't switched to the little alcohol or whatever they are stoves, and at this point, never will.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:21:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnClarkUSN] [#15]
Forgot white gas in the poll.

Lightweight weekend - alcohol
Three season up to a week, maybe more - iso cannister
Long trek and winter - white gas

I prefer the remote cannister stoves.  They're more stable, controls easier to reach and you can use a full windscreen without risk of explosion.
If you get one that passes the fuel tube by the burner to preheat the fuel before it's delivered to the burner, you can invert the cannister once the stove is going and feed it with liquid fuel for better cold weather performance.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I've alternated between alcohol stoves, mainly a DIY cat can one, and inexpensive canister stoves (currently a BRS titanium one). Really, both are fine and it comes down to trip specific details as to which I choose.

After seeing one in use I picked up a Trail Designs Caldera Cone & Kojin stove and took it on a weeklong AT section hike. I was impressed with how efficient it was but when stowed the cone is bulkier than I'd want to do a serious long distance trip with.

I usually have 2 esbit tablets in my ditty bag as an emergency fire starter, but haven't tried to use a hexamine stove setup on a backpacking trip.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#17]
MSR XGK and Whisperlite are what I use, since  I always go with a pretty good group.  For longer trips we take two stoves for a big group.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was chasing becoming as light as I wanted to, I made a cat can alcohol stove. Worked well. And an easy way to lose some weight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
International Whisper Light. I like old school style.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The OG MSR pocket rocket or trangia are my 2 go to stoves.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I like flexibility and ease of use, so gas for me. Because I have a Polaris Optifuel, I can run nearly any kind of liquid fuel except alcohol, and I can also run canisters. If I want to do quick and light I can use a Trangia or similar alcohol stove.

Still need to find a wood gasifier stove but most of them tend to be too bulky or heavy to be practical for anything more than car camping.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I gave up on stoves and cooking but of all the ones I tried I found the jetboil type to be the least troublesome.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Metzger31:
The OG MSR pocket rocket or trangia are my 2 go to stoves.
View Quote

Have both, like both.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top