Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2020 8:49:07 AM EDT
We have a Petsafe Stay and Play wireless dog fence at our house which we like very much. However the yl would like to increase the radius of the containment field, due to the shape of our lot and the location of our house I already have the transmitter located such to give the maximum range without let the dog get into the neighbors yard. It used to be larger but a certain hound dug a hole where they shouldn't have and now the range is smaller...

Attachment Attached File

In my mind I thought the fence used WiFi frequencies and I thought I might be able to unplug the stock antenna and make a new one with more of a cartoid pattern that would move field into the front yard and reduce the range in the back. I didn't want to take the transmitter apart so I did some looking online. I started by looked up the FCC ID (grantee code: KE3, product code:-3001070) and found images of the antenna and test data giving the operating frequency. It isn't a WiFi device after all, it operates on 18.7kHz.

Attachment Attached File

Next I wanted to know more about how it worked so I did an IP search, I found US7142167B2.

Attachment Attached File

The present invention is based on near-field signal detection of the total power in a low-frequency (10 kHz to 100 kHz), quasi-static 3-axis magnetic field. Quasi-static magnetic fields are generally known to be immune to the field-strength variability problems that can occur in systems based on propagating RF fields because of multipath reflections and severe field distortion by proximate conducting masses such as body tissue.
View Quote
The prior art devices used a single axis field generator and required a multi-axis receiver. This one uses a multi-axis transmitter and a single axis receiver for better battery life.

I thought this was interesting and wasn't at all what I was expecting. At this point I've given up on being able to beam shape the antenna and will pursue other avenues but thought I'd post about it any way and the low frequency magnetic field bit was neat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
That is pretty cool. I always wondered what the insides and Antenna looked like.

We have a Petsafe Wireless Fence and love it.  If it died today, I'd be buying another... We got it as a house warming gift and have loved it since we unboxed it.

It would be nice if it had a 4 way button on the top of it, so you could adjust it further one way than another.

We live in a rural area and only have 1 neighbor in sight and wouldn't you know we don't really get along with them or their dogs.
I'd love to make it have less distance on the right side of the house (side the neighbor is on)  and more on the front, rear and left.

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is pretty cool. I always wondered what the insides and Antenna looked like.

We have a Petsafe Wireless Fence and love it.  

It would be nice if it had a 4 way button on the top of it, so you could adjust it further one way than another.

View Quote

write the manufacturer and suggest it. maybe their enginerds can make it work?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait, so if you lose power, what happens to your dog?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top