Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2019 2:10:15 AM EDT
So I'm looking for ideas for weapons other then firearms that would be good to have around?

I have looked at bows and crossbows but the cost has stopped me from buying them. I have also looked at pellet rifles but finding molds to cast pellets seemed to be a problem.

Last thing I have looked at is a blowgun. Have not heard much about them if they would work for small game or anything like that.

Is it worth spending the money on these types of weapons? Is there a good silent weapon out there other then a firearms?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Bow and arrow
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Machine guns
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Machine guns
View Quote
And frags
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Why learn to cast pellets when they are so cheap? Buy say 50000 and never have to worry about buying them again.
bow and arrows
frog gig
spear
atlatl
there are lots of options to hunt with. None of which are anywhere near as cost and time effective as a cheap 22LR and a few bricks of ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
As said above pellets are cheap, find one that is accurate out of your pellet rifle and stack it deep like you would do for center fire ammo. I've found many pellet guns on clearance in the Walmart thread, tested them and kept the accurate ones. Sold the others to get accessories .
I also picked up my first compound bow (Bear Archery Pledge) from that thread 2 weeks ago and having a Great Time with it !! It's ready to hunt, d loop, 3 pin sight and peep sight. 31" axel to axel with a 21" to 31" draw length and 40 to 70 pound draw weight. Picked it up for $49 on clearance ($388 reg price) and arrows from .50 to $2 along with all accessories needed to get hunting quick. Have about $125 into the setup with Shwacker 252 Broadheads
Fishing stuff is on clearance now along with camping equipment.
That thread has cost me money but saved me tons in the long run !!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I'm looking for ideas for weapons other then firearms that would be good to have around?

I have looked at bows and crossbows but the cost has stopped me from buying them. I have also looked at pellet rifles but finding molds to cast pellets seemed to be a problem.

Last thing I have looked at is a blowgun. Have not heard much about them if they would work for small game or anything like that.

Is it worth spending the money on these types of weapons? Is there a good silent weapon out there other then a firearms?
View Quote
What is your intended use?
I mean a pellet Rifle, great for killing rabbits and squirrels, but useless for Deer, Bears or People.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Blow gun can't take big game or even small and is illegal in many states. Bow and arrow probably gives the largest window of usefulness.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Suppressed .22LR is best. Ammo is cheap so you can buy a ton.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Blow gun can't take big game or even small and is illegal in many states. Bow and arrow probably gives the largest window of usefulness.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why learn to cast pellets when they are so cheap? Buy say 50000 and never have to worry about buying them again.
bow and arrows

frog gig
spear
atlatl
there are lots of options to hunt with. None of which are anywhere near as cost and time effective as a cheap 22LR and a few bricks of ammunition.
View Quote
I have 5 boys and in live in a rural area.  Based on current consumption, I would suspect that I would need a lot more than 50,000 pellets per child.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euf2kMefMYg
Four yards from a bear with your only weapon a blowgun?  I'll pass on that!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euf2kMefMYg
I’m not saying it’s the best idea- I’m just saying that a blowgun can achieve a lot more than I expected, set up and used properly,
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
"Excuse me, Brother. Would you happen to have a minute to talk about the Good Word?"

Attachment Attached File

^NOT MINE^

In all seriousness. I have a crossbow, and while it's a great alternative. I would put the money towards a compound bow.

The crossbow was a gift, so I'm not out money. It just seems more limited in what you can do with it. Mainly cocking and loading is kind of awkward, as in I'd probably not be able to do it at night. An advantage would be that their is little learning curve in the shooting part

I have a cheezy fiberglass recurve bow from when I was a kid, but it's only usable for targets and maybe small game (if I could hit anything with it)
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
A bow and arrow could be very useful, with practice you could take about anything you'd want to eat.

I also have a really nice tomahawk, maybe not quite as practical but I like it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A bow and arrow could be very useful, with practice you could take about anything you'd want to eat.

I also have a really nice tomahawk, maybe not quite as practical but I like it.
View Quote
A compound bow is pretty good and a less steep learning curve than a traditional recurve (which is what I have).  Either way, a bow requires a lot of practice and you will need to make sure you have plenty of quality shafts on hand and lean how to repair fletching.  I'm not opposed to a crossbow, much easier to learn how to shoot accurately, but quality ones cost money.

Gamo makes some serious air guns; enough to kill large boar or small deer.  I do like that idea, but for me personally, I would invest in .22LR and suppressor for more versatility.

A little more niche, but I have the Chief AJ "sling bow".  It's a souped up risk-rocket slingshot, but is designed to shoot bearings/marbles/.44 caliber lead balls, or arrows.  As with a bow, it takes practice and the range is much shorter, but it's a very effective hunting tool if you're skills are solid.  Pretty inexpensive and a few extra bands (stored properly) will last a long time.  For the investment cost and effectiveness, it's a good choice for a non-firearm E&E kit.  There are videos of guys putting down grizzlies and brown bear with this sling-bow.

Blackpowder isn't a bad option if you want to stick with a more natural style of firearm.  Not a bad investment once you get established and pretty cheap to maintain and make "ammo" for.  For the more severe SHTF fantasies, I would consider it a good option for hunting, keeping your cartridge firearms reserved for social engagements.

No idea about a blow gun.

Spears are an option, but I think it's highly dependent on location and how much you want to dedicate to practicing.  They aren't something I want to fight with, but could be used to take certain game.  Cold Steel has some pretty interesting and quite effective options.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I mean a pellet Rifle, great for killing rabbits and squirrels, but useless for Deer, Bears or People.
View Quote
This^

Bang for the buck a slew of conibears is going to net you more game than a bow could even dream of over its useful life.

Someone mentioned frog gigs, also a good call.

Snares, yo-yo reels, traditional leg holds and dog proof traps are all good bets.

If it’s for people, none of those are all that great...but then again a bow/crossbow isn’t as effective as a movie would have you believe.  Ask any bow hunter how many animals they’ve dropped in their tracks with an arrow.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]
So pellet rifles .177 or .22?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I kinda want one of those torpedo things from Cold Steel.  Seems like a throwing knife, but if you don't get the point to stick it's still a bludgeoning weapon.  Kill game with it?  No idea, I'm not a hunter.  But if the option was that or my bare hands, I'd rather have it than not.

I shot recurve bow in a college PE class.  I think I had a 32 lb pull?  Not sure that's gonna save you from a bear, but certainly would take small game.  It was fun, and not that hard physically, but accuracy will take some work.  Though we didn't have any of the fancy stuff, just finger saves and literally a clothes pin for a sight.  If I lived out in the country I'd buy one just to fool around in the back yard.  Maybe a compound too just to try it out and compare.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#19]
So to all the guys recommending bows. Any recommendations on a type or model for a guy that doesn't know bows?
I have a couple acres and would love to shoot on my property more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep in mind that air guns are considered firearms by fucktardy places like MN. May as well have a .22 and stock up on ammo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly I’d go .22lr and bricks of ammo
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Anything is a weapon if you hold it right.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Knives and edges weapons are very useful. Get a machete, hachet, axe, spear, swords.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So to all the guys recommending bows. Any recommendations on a type or model for a guy that doesn't know bows?
I have a couple acres and would love to shoot on my property more.
View Quote
Find your local archery shop that has a range and a good selection of brands (at least a couple). Tell them you are interested in archery and want to learn. They should show you the basic features and explain the sizing of a bow as well as measure your draw length. They will surely steer you into a specific model or two but I wouldn't buy one on your first trip. Maybe rent one and get some introductory instructions. Shoot for 30 mins or so, probably all your arms will handle first time out anyways.

Take that experience and information and start reading online, lots more to learn and can be found online to get started and help you make a fully educated first purchase. I'd probably buy a quality used one (have it inspected!) for your first bow. More bang for the buck that way. Bow hunters like to upgrade regularly and you can get into the hottest bow from two years ago and save a bunch that way.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Life long bow hunter here, recurve and compound.  Much much small learning curve with a crossbow.  As a new user it is going to require lots of practice to gain efficiency with a bow.  Either bows or crossbows are going to require many arrows.  If you are down to talking about casting your own pellets for sustained supply of projectiles during a long term SHTF scenario, then a modern bow which requires strong straight arrows and fletchings is probably not going to work for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Find your local archery shop that has a range and a good selection of brands (at least a couple). Tell them you are interested in archery and want to learn. They should show you the basic features and explain the sizing of a bow as well as measure your draw length. They will surely steer you into a specific model or two but I wouldn't buy one on your first trip. Maybe rent one and get some introductory instructions. Shoot for 30 mins or so, probably all your arms will handle first time out anyways.

Take that experience and information and start reading online, lots more to learn and can be found online to get started and help you make a fully educated first purchase. I'd probably buy a quality used one (have it inspected!) for your first bow. More bang for the buck that way. Bow hunters like to upgrade regularly and you can get into the hottest bow from two years ago and save a bunch that way.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice. I know there is a few shops around here that have been in business a long time. I'll start there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
bolt 22 with can. higher initial cost but the bolt gun is like $200. can is $300 or so with a stamp. cheaper if you are planning for the end of the world and buy a kit and don't drill it.

but really I can make a bolt 22 run forever. it's accurate to shoot a squirrel in it's face at 100 yards. I can put a few into something bigger in a hurry. I can carry a lifetime supply of ammo loose in my pocket. and suppressed it's literally as loud as dry firing. while it wouldn't be my first choice for zombie hordes, it is hard to beat for quiet hunting. 500 rounds ($15) will last until I starve to death or be murdered by the hordes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that air guns are considered firearms by fucktardy places like MN. May as well have a .22 and stock up on ammo.
View Quote
That's why I live in Texas and not in a state that votes in a senator who hates Jewish people!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I know there is a few shops around here that have been in business a long time. I'll start there.
View Quote
A quality bow shop with bow techs that all act with integrity is a great place to support. I'd avoid any advice from bow shops in big box stores like Cabela's or Bass Pro shop. Generally speaking, you want to find a hole in the wall bow shop with a bow tech that's got integrity and probably looks like he's retired.

Be wary of the hard sell and the line "this is the only brand/model worth buying all others are garbage" as many bow shops are highly aligned with a major brand like Mathews, bow tech, Hoyt or whatever. It's worth supporting a quality bow shop with solid bow techs that are fair and reasonable.

You're not considering it yet but there's a ton of other factors that come into play like release mechanism, sight preference, rest preference, brace height, fletching style...it goes on and on. Selecting a bow is just the first baby step in designing a system that works for you, your style and intended uses. It's a deep rabbit hole you can throw a ton of money into, if you want
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Knives and edges weapons are very useful. Get a machete, hachet, axe, spear, swords.
View Quote
Swords you say.  

I've taken a lot of squirrels with a decent slingshot.  Bands keep rotting in between uses though, there's just not much need for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
For my .177 and .22 airguns I just buy pellets because they are simply that cheap.

For my .250, .300, .308, and .45 airguns, I cast my own pellets and bullets. Reason for it is that its a lot cheaper to cast big 60 to 218 grain pellets and bullets than it is to buy them, although roundball is still cheap enough to buy on mass.

.300, 45gr, match grade pellets will run you near $20 for a tin of 150. High quality .308, 99gr, airgun hp bullets will run $252 for a case of 1,000. I can cast that many of either load that perform as match quality for just a few cents to a few dollars using tire weight lead.

Why go thru the trouble instead of just buying lots of .22LR? Eventually my .22 LR will run out and cannot be relaoded. And my centerfires need lots of components to reload. All I need to reload my airguns are lead, heat, casting molds, and air. Every deer I kill with an airgun is a firearm round I save for defending my family.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So pellet rifles .177 or .22?
View Quote
Traditional answer applies: get both.

.177 is more common, cheaper.
.22 can do a lot more but is more expensive and ammo is not as common.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Another thing: wrist rockets are amazing, cheap, and accurate (with a little practice). Lay in some tubing because it wears out/rots.
I got good with Pachinko balls and marbles. Rocks work also.

No experience with one, but a sling is something I want to learn.
Cheap and simple, consisting of cord and a pouch.

But, heck, David slew Goliath with one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Op said weapons which I interpreted as threats so I would just stack glocks and ARs deep. A few cans would be nice.
Also air guns are only good for so many shots same with bows. The math doesn't work out when you can stack 22lr and other ammo deep.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Op said weapons which I interpreted as threats so I would just stack glocks and ARs deep. A few cans would be nice.
Also air guns are only good for so many shots same with bows. The math doesn't work out when you can stack 22lr and other ammo deep.
View Quote
Only thing how much 22LR can you carry along with your AR and Glock ammo?

My guess is not much! Being that I have carried in combat and when I was 22 years old 6 AR full loaded mags my M-16A2 with a 30 round. Vest and plates my Ka-bar and 2,000 linked 7.62x51 in a back pack.

That 5 mile patrol was hell! I had to use my rifle to help pick myself up when I had to take a knee. If we did get in a fire fight I would have been dead because of all the weight!

Also I'm looking for something that is quite could buy a suppressor yet the cost of getting two of them one for the 22lr and one to be able to use on my 223 and 308 and future rifle a 6.5 creedmore.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just want to add, I use to be deadly with a sling shot.

The projectile can be whatever you find.

Another honorable mention, black powder guns.  Same thing, you can come up with all sorts of projectiles especially a black powder shot gun.  Now you want something fun, load up that black powder gun with copper clad steel bbs from a bb gun.

Tj
View Quote
I have looked at that also but black powder shotguns cost a lot! One thing percussion caps they can only be used one time right? Or is Flint lock the way to go?
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#38]
a david type sling or throwing stick (boomarang) can take out a  startled bird from a flock of hundreds.
but these can be made when needed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Go with a traditional bow, it's a time tested, versatile tool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Only thing how much 22LR can you carry along with your AR and Glock ammo?

My guess is not much! Being that I have carried in combat and when I was 22 years old 6 AR full loaded mags my M-16A2 with a 30 round. Vest and plates my Ka-bar and 2,000 linked 7.62x51 in a back pack.

That 5 mile patrol was hell! I had to use my rifle to help pick myself up when I had to take a knee. If we did get in a fire fight I would have been dead because of all the weight!

Also I'm looking for something that is quite could buy a suppressor yet the cost of getting two of them one for the 22lr and one to be able to use on my 223 and 308 and future rifle a 6.5 creedmore.
View Quote
If I am going mobile on foot and having to abandon my BOL I wont be adding an air rifle to my load out or even a 22 rifle or even a bow.
But I can carry a bunch of 22 if I have to but my research many years ago showed that air rifles don't hold up so they become paper weights. I also have some subsonic 22 that makes less noise than my pellet rifle and seemed more accurate.
I do like the idea of a simple bow and arrow for hunting around the BOL but in reality an rifle is better.
Although is I wanted to look less threatening to others or if the GOV is confiscating weapons while out hunting the bow might be better.
I do want a crossbow but its for fun and just because.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have 5 boys and in live in a rural area.  Based on current consumption, I would suspect that I would need a lot more than 50,000 pellets per child.  
View Quote
Ask for young boy's truck load discount???
I know this will sound really stupid, but are .177 or .22 pellets cast? Or just pressed from small lead slugs?   I ask because to get the flared hollow end pressing would be easier than casting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the size of the airgun.   The precharged pneumatic airguns come in calibers up to 50 and will easily take out large game.  They cost more than a wal mart crosman though....
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For my .177 and .22 airguns I just buy pellets because they are simply that cheap.

For my .250, .300, .308, and .45 airguns, I cast my own pellets and bullets. Reason for it is that its a lot cheaper to cast big 60 to 218 grain pellets and bullets than it is to buy them, although roundball is still cheap enough to buy on mass.

.300, 45gr, match grade pellets will run you near $20 for a tin of 150. High quality .308, 99gr, airgun hp bullets will run $252 for a case of 1,000. I can cast that many of either load that perform as match quality for just a few cents to a few dollars using tire weight lead.

Why go thru the trouble instead of just buying lots of .22LR? Eventually my .22 LR will run out and cannot be relaoded. And my centerfires need lots of components to reload. All I need to reload my airguns are lead, heat, casting molds, and air. Every deer I kill with an airgun is a firearm round I save for defending my family.
View Quote
And for the $1000 plus you spend on that air.....cannon I can buy 3500 rounds of 5.56mm or 25,000 rounds of.22. Both being more reliable killers and able to be fired semi auto.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#44]
To add other information.. I own 4 bows(traditional) 1 compound  1 crossbow. 4 or 5 black powder weapons in addition to a load of standard firearms and a few air rifles. I use them to hunt animals during the various primitive weapons seasons in my State. I kill a bunch. I have various fishing poles and tackle and a kayak. I catch lots of fish every year.

In a eat to live scenario I am hunting with a suppressed weapon, setting conibear traps,and gill netting fish. Fun and challenges are the exact opposite of what I want!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And for the $1000 plus you spend on that air.....cannon I can buy 3500 rounds of 5.56mm or 25,000 rounds of.22. Both being more reliable killers and able to be fired semi auto.
View Quote
The 5.56 better? Yes. The .22LR? Nope. My .308 airgun outkills it all day long.

Just saying...
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In a eat to live scenario I am hunting with a suppressed weapon, setting conibear traps,and gill netting fish. Fun and challenges are the exact opposite of what I want!
View Quote
^ this

I would say it’s nice to have options. I have a bow, but it’s a 25 year old compound. I am not practiced enough with it to shoot further than 20 yards in a sporting manner(i know sporting means nothing when the kids are hungry). I would recommend a 45-55 lb recurve. Maybe a take down model. Going to be simple, something you could make shafts for. You can also fish with it. I think I am gonna buy a crossbow, they aren’t legal to hunt with here, but I got 2 dozen bolts dirt cheap at Walmart. I am waiting for a recurve model to go on sale. I am willing to spend a few hundred bucks on one for fun and “just to have”
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Slingshot. Don't underestimate it. Especially knowing how to make one using stuff laying around.
A rite of passage for boys on the farms in S. Africa was to make their own slingshot or kettie as it was called.
I've shot many doves and other birds. Alos a few rabbits if you got close enough. Many a cobra also met it's match. Find some decent shaped stones about the size of a marble and you are set. We made our slingshots using wood, scraps of leather and innertube.

You will not get near the velocity or accuracy than the bought slingshots, but it's a good skill to have. Buying slingshots - they are cheap and while not lethal on humans, can put a hell of a hurting on a person.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just want to add, I use to be deadly with a sling shot.

The projectile can be whatever you find.

Another honorable mention, black powder guns.  Same thing, you can come up with all sorts of projectiles especially a black powder shot gun.  Now you want something fun, load up that black powder gun with copper clad steel bbs from a bb gun.

Tj
View Quote
Carolina Camera: The Sling Shot Man
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bow and arrow
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#50]
A revolver or single shot whatever or a shotgun offer some options for weird reloads.

Run a search on wax bullets and glue gun bullets.

Stuff like 45-70 and 444marlin also have some old articles about how to load them for the poor mans shotgun load or other lower powered loads where you don't need to put a bear down but might be after a rabbit or something.  Some of the loads were 3 lead balls, so not a great shotgun load and at the same time if you know your ammo you know your ability.

Yes a semi auto can be loaded with one of these rounds in many cases, but it comes down to you knowing what you have.

There are also shotgun inserts that let you use some other ammo in the shotgun, generally for break open shotguns.  From 22lr to rifle rounds, I remember reading about em but never got em.  They need to be inserted the same exact way each time and generally the shotgun sights are not very good for a rifle round.

In many cases I decided buying more ammo for my gun I had in hand was worth more than trying to make due with something else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top