Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2022 10:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grndy27]
My friend whom I served with in the Army with just started his trek on 02/15/2022. He is newly retired SGM US Army and will be documenting his trip on his YouTube channel(627 subscribers as of this post). I would love to get him some more followers and some comme to to give him something to do on his downtime. If you could check out some of his videos

Ultralight Wannabe YouTube Channel
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Assume he's starting at the Southern end and not the Maine end, haha, unless he brings snowshoes. Good for him, that's quite a challenge!
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes Southern end start.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grndy27:
Yes Southern end start.
View Quote

Ha ha, yes, Kathadin would be quite a challenge in February. I can see it from my camp up around Houlton (the AT runs a few miles West).
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Subed. Good luck to him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
1st post from the trail just posted to YT. Hawks shelter to Gooch Mtn shelter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#9]
779 Subscribers now and 2 videos posted from the trail.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
@grndy27. Did your buddy give up? was following him. He has not posted in 5 days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#12]
His foot started to swell and he is getting it looked at and hopefully will be back on trail soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The body really takes a pounding when doing the AT.  I used to be able to see the AT from my font door, and would generally give rides to anywhere between 30 to 50 or more AT thru/section hikers a year, and of those, maybe ten to twenty of them would stay at my house for a night or two when my schedule permitted.

Driving through town, I could generally tell the thru hikers apart from the section hikers just by their gait.  The thru hikers were just more beaten up in the way they walked. Section hiker or Thru hiker, didn't matter.  All were welcome with me.  Except for one, maybe.  Fortunately, he walked off, sparing me the awkwardness of having to figure out how to invite everyone but him over to my place.

12 to 14 miles a day doesn't sound like much.  But, it is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:32:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#14]
His foot started to swell and he is getting it looked at and hopefully will be back on trail soon.
View Quote

I was following him (before seeing this thread) and was wondering what happened to him.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:38:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#15]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
12 to 14 miles a day doesn't sound like much. But, it is.
View Quote

I've been following "The Healthy Gamer" on Youtube, he's been putting in serious miles. At day 30 he was already in Glasgow, VA.
He's going for a Calendar Year Triple Crown.

Appalachian Trail 2022 Thru Hike Day 28-30. McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, James River, Glasgow. CYTC
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#16]
The body really takes a pounding when doing the AT.  

12 to 14 miles a day doesn't sound like much.  But, it is.
View Quote

This is why so many push for ultra-lightweight gear and would rather risk a miserable night than pounding on the legs with heavier gear.

My wife and I haven't had a long trek (100 miles or so) in a couple years, but we have to ease ourselves onto the trail and we try to stick to an average of 12-15 miles. It's not so much the distance as it is needing a little more recovery time. While some bodies do get conditioned, others have legging injuries or inflammations that just get more aggravated. It takes us a few days to get over that initial section-hike shock to the body, and if you don't monitor and manage your body, it will sideline you eventually.

Not sure about the SGM, but I did 100+miles a couple years back and on day six, pain in my Achilles tendon flared so bad on one foot I didn't think I would be able to continue. I limped into my site shorter than I wanted and just soaked my foot in cold water and stayed off it most of the day. The next day I was fine and actually trekked 22 miles. Shit happens, so I hope the SGM recovers quickly and is able to continue.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

I've been following "The Healthy Gamer" on Youtube, he's been putting in serious miles. At day 30 he was already in Glasgow, VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvKweZ7DVc
View Quote
Wow.  That's 22 miles a day.  Every day.  For a year.  Across all 4 seasons.  Wow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]
For the SGM, April 1 has been a typical start date for NOBO AT.

That's 13.3 miles/day to Glasgow, VA, by the 1st of June.  The NOBO bubble is like the first 3 weeks of June for that area, and still allows good margin to Baxter by 15 Oct, when the park has traditionally closed.  In the past, Baxter has had rather strict requirements for people entering after 15 Oct, but looking into it a bit when I was up that way this February, it looks like Baxter has dropped a number of regulations they've had in the past.  Look, I'm not saying it's a good idea to be in Baxter at or after 15 October, but it might not be like it used to be, at least on the regulatory side.

The problem is, though, that a Thru Hike really is hard.  Everything looks so doable on paper.  Until the pounding, grueling reality sets in.

The good part is, though, that if SGM wants to press on, he's still fully in the window to do so.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I will check him out.  I have done a few hundred miles of the AT in sections.  My hat is OFF to those with the stamina and fortitude to hike it in one fell swoop.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#20]
For the SGM, April 1 has been a typical start date for NOBO AT.

That's 13.3 miles/day to Glasgow, VA, by the 1st of June.  The NOBO bubble is like the first 3 weeks of June for that area, and still allows good margin to Baxter by 15 Oct, when the park has traditionally closed.  In the past, Baxter has had rather strict requirements for people entering after 15 Oct, but looking into it a bit when I was up that way this February, it looks like Baxter has dropped a number of regulations they've had in the past.  Look, I'm not saying it's a good idea to be in Baxter at or after 15 October, but it might not be like it used to be, at least on the regulatory side.

The problem is, though, that a Thru Hike really is hard.  Everything looks so doable on paper.  Until the pounding, grueling reality sets in.

The good part is, though, that if SGM wants to press on, he's still fully in the window to do so.

View Quote

Noone really wants to be in the bubble, and the common advice now is to stick with 8ish mile days for the first week for the new hikers. That already adds up to a couple of extra days to meet your missed  goal of 13.3, which doesn't take into account zero days
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone really complain about hiking with the bubble.  Kind of the opposite from what I've seen.  The veteran groups might be a notable exception, though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone really complain about hiking with the bubble.  Kind of the opposite from what I've seen.  The veteran groups might be a notable exception, though.
View Quote

I think the bubble problems mainly involve the crush at shelters. When norovirus kicks in for the summer, being around fewer people is a plus.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

I think the bubble problems mainly involve the crush at shelters. When norovirus kicks in for the summer, being around fewer people is a plus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, the fist bump, in lieu of a handshake, was a thing on the AT long before COVID.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone really complain about hiking with the bubble. Kind of the opposite from what I've seen. The veteran groups might be a notable exception, though.
View Quote

I followed a younger guy back in '18 who vlogged his AT thru hike and he wasn't too thrilled about being in the bubble. He did a later video after he finished telling people not to start when he did for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.  That's 22 miles a day.  Every day.  For a year.  Across all 4 seasons.  Wow.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvKweZ7DVc

@L_JE
He's already up to doing 40+ miles days.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow.  When I used to live right off the Trail, I'd meet some hikers knocking out 35s in the Glasgow area, which isn't easy.  Some groups, groups who weren't doing 35s, would shoot for a 40 in the VA/WV/MD/PA section.  

But, to be knocking out a pace where you can do all three trails in a single year, weather aside, that's nuts.  Factor in the weather that is going to be coming along with that plan, and it's even crazier.  I think.  I've never really given it much thought, though.  Maybe there some pattern to it where it almost makes sense when mapped out.  Dunno.  Do know, though, that it probably stretches the definition of "sense."

22 miles a day, and possibly 44 as punishment for taking a day off?  And doing that for 365 days?  Nuts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Been on my bucket list for a long time like many other things. Now I’m getting old this is one that will probably drop off like quite a few others.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
This guy is the real deal, I watched him last year complete the CDT, he has the body type to hammer out 25 miles a day with seemingly ease.
He smokes pot drinks beer crushes the buffet table and uses the F Bomb a lot. He hikes with an extremely light pack and does a pretty good job video taping and his music is pretty good also.

Walking Tapeworm is his trail name.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#29]
How close is the wildfire near Pigeon Forge to the AT? So far 3K acres burned only 5% contained.

And then there was yesterday's storms. Looks like the trail from Springer to at least Harper's Ferry got hammered.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
How close is the wildfire near Pigeon Forge to the AT? So far 3K acres burned only 5% contained.

And then there was yesterday's storms. Looks like the trail from Springer to at least Harper's Ferry got hammered.
View Quote
The AT is going to run along the TN/NC border, so this fire system isn't a concern for the trail.

In years past, when fires have affected areas the trail runs through, Park/Forest Service have been pretty good about trail closures and routing hikers around an area, during and after.  Sucks to not be able to do the "whole" trail, but burn-area restoration takes precedence.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#31]
My friend whom I served with in the Army with just started his trek on 02/15/2022. He is newly retired SGM US Army and will be documenting his trip on his YouTube channel(627 subscribers as of this post). I would love to get him some more followers and some comme to to give him something to do on his downtime. If you could check out some of his videos

Ultralight Wannabe YouTube Channel
View Quote

I've used the same Blue mountain shelter a few decades ago.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 3:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#32]
Wrong thread..
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow.  When I used to live right off the Trail, I'd meet some hikers knocking out 35s in the Glasgow area, which isn't easy.  Some groups, groups who weren't doing 35s, would shoot for a 40 in the VA/WV/MD/PA section.  

But, to be knocking out a pace where you can do all three trails in a single year, weather aside, that's nuts.  Factor in the weather that is going to be coming along with that plan, and it's even crazier.  I think.  I've never really given it much thought, though.  Maybe there some pattern to it where it almost makes sense when mapped out.  Dunno.  Do know, though, that it probably stretches the definition of "sense."

22 miles a day, and possibly 44 as punishment for taking a day off?  And doing that for 365 days?  Nuts.
View Quote

He passed Harpers Ferry last week.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:25:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#34]
I followed a younger guy back in '18 who vlogged his AT thru hike and he wasn't too thrilled about being in the bubble. He did a later video after he finished telling people not to start when he did for that reason.
View All Quotes

My wife and I have hit parts of the bubble on some section hikes. The trail isn't so bad, but the shelters are crowded, littered, norovirus outbreaks; in some areas, drug dealers. My wife found some kids fanny pack on the trail. She picked it up and figured she'd carry it to the next shelter...had the kids wallet, cash, ID...and a big'ol bag of weed We ran into him at a shelter digging through his back and just getting ready to run back down the trail to look for it.  We saved him about 4-5 miles...I just told him I smoked all his weed for the effort

We mostly run across a bunch of small groups of yutes who are more interested in partying than hiking; we try to avoid the bubble during our hikes.

Originally Posted By m200maker:
Been on my bucket list for a long time like many other things. Now I’m getting old this is one that will probably drop off like quite a few others.

This is why my wife and I are just section hiking it. We are up to VA now, but "commuting" ends up eating into trail days. We simply have more logistics to worry about, but that's okay, we aren't trying to squeeze out 150 miles in a 8-9 days anymore.  We are planning sections around 80-100 miles for full week off of work.

We have run into a few backpackers (not thru-hikers) who were in their mid-60's and one guy that was 73. It's less about age and more about health and a reasonable pace.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

In January or February 2021, I was riding forest service roads and came across a hiker siting on the edge of the road.  Turned out to be a guy from the Netherlands who was going to try and hike the triple crown in one year…He turned his ankle on day one on the approach to Hawk Mountain, so I gave him a ride to Dahlonega.  He said he hiked all over the world and had done a thru-hike of each of the big three previously.  I wondered if he ever made it after recovering.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll be on the trail again in 2 weeks, got 4 states covered so far. That has taken me years but I enjoy it a lot, I'll be in GA anyone hiking in the area in a couple weeks?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I ran up with a guy a few years ago from Poland that took a month off every year to do a section, great guy! I hiked with him for 2 days and ate lots of goat cheese and sausage, lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lucky_13:
In January or February 2021, I was riding forest service roads and came across a hiker siting on the edge of the road.  Turned out to be a guy from the Netherlands who was going to try and hike the triple crown in one year…He turned his ankle on day one on the approach to Hawk Mountain, so I gave him a ride to Dahlonega.  He said he hiked all over the world and had done a thru-hike of each of the big three previously.  I wondered if he ever made it after recovering.
View Quote

My neighbor knows a guy who was going to thru hike who rolled his ankle hiking up to the start point on Springer from the Springer parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#39]
The trail borders my property near Harpers Ferry. Sooner or later I’ll do a couple hikes longer than 20/30 miles.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

He finally completed all 3 trails last week.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By inGobwetrust:
Subscribed
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#42]
YouTube channel "Bartman Outdoors" started his thru hike on January 1st. He started with a 44 lb pack weight.

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 5:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#43]
YouTube channel "Bartman Outdoors" started his thru hike on January 1st. He started with a 44 lb pack weight.

View Quote

According to Ramdino they had 5 or 6 people starting their hike in just the first couple of days of January
It doesnt look like there's much of any snow or winter weather at the Falls but at elevation the Trail in GA must be a real joy this early in the year
With so many hostels closed for the season, no ridge runners on the trail, trail angels not out doing their thing yet, it must be extremely difficult to start so early, even taking weather conditions out of the mix
These people are so far ahead of the bubble they'll have to hitch all the way back from Maine to attend Trail Days in Damascus.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I've picked up some January-start NOBOs in March up in Virginia.  

December graduates, leases expiring in Dec/Jan, etc.  They're not out to make the hike harder than it needs to be, their start date is just a quirk of timing, and no desire or inability to put things off for a more traditional 1 April start.

Heavier packs.  Heavier footwear.  A far more solitary hike than normal, but they'll still see dayhikers and section hikers on the trail, so to them, without a solid reference point, it feels kind of social.  People who live up by the trail or commute across it to work, we'll still pick them up out of season just the same.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:05:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#45]
According to Ramdino they had 5 or 6 people starting their hike in just the first couple of days of January
It doesnt look like there's much of any snow or winter weather at the Falls but at elevation the Trail in GA must be a real joy this early in the year
With so many hostels closed for the season, no ridge runners on the trail, trail angels not out doing their thing yet, it must be extremely difficult to start so early, even taking weather conditions out of the mix
These people are so far ahead of the bubble they'll have to hitch all the way back from Maine to attend Trail Days in Damascus.....
View Quote

I did a section starting on Friday. I saw one thru hiker on Saturday at Blue Mountain shelter. Weather was very mild, the coldest it got at night was 37. Hostel Around The Bend at Dick's Creek Gap is open. The said they open early because so many more people are starting in January. Chica and Sunsets' hostel in Franklin is still closed but I think the other one in Franklin is open.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

This is why so many push for ultra-lightweight gear and would rather risk a miserable night than pounding on the legs with heavier gear.

ROCK6
View Quote

Comfortable on the trail or comfortable in the camp----pick one.

That said "you can have my chair zero when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I did Neel Gap to Woody Gap this morning and passed 54 NOBO thru hikers. (those were just the ones with tags) Hostels must be packed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top