Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2020 8:31:05 PM EDT
Guys

I have Ruger American rifle in 450 I plan to hunt Ohio white-tail but haven't got any ammo yet. I don't really think I'm interested in the Hornday flex-tip type ammo. It seems ok but I'm not sure it's the best. Do you guys recommend to stay around 250grs for wt deer?

The options I'm considering are:

Federal Fusion 260gr bonded boft point (I don't know much about soft point vs hollowpoint)

or

Buffalo Bore 250 gr. JHP
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=525

Buffalo Bore also has a Barnes lead free copper type bullet at 275gr but it says it penetrates deeper. I don't think I need a ton of penetration for white tail.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=537

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only used hornady black and it works fine, I shot a huge doe in the lungs and she dropped to her knees right there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only used hornady black and it works fine, I shot a huge doe in the lungs and she dropped to her knees right there.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. That is the 250gr FTX.

My friend didn't have the best of luck with 45-70 FTX loads. He seemed to drop them harder with soft point type loads.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My friend didn't have the best of luck with 45-70 FTX loads. He seemed to drop them harder with soft point type loads.
View Quote

Hornady black seems to be readily avalable and it works.  Using the ballistic calculator on the Hornady website, I zeroed my ruger for 150 yards and I'm all set, good luck for deer season.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hornady black seems to be readily avalable and it works.  Using the ballistic calculator on the Hornady website, I zeroed my ruger for 150 yards and I'm all set, good luck for deer season.
View Quote

Thanks. So you did dead on at 150?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shot a small buck last year with hand loaded 225 FTX.  It knocked him down but did not exit.

This year I'm trying a 200gr XPB bullet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84914/IMG_20191204_172721-1183974.jpg
View Quote

Like the gun and nice deer.

I'm not an experienced hunter. Do you always want an exit wound? Or is that better blood trail?

XPB is this one:
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=537
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks. So you did dead on at 150?
View Quote

Yes, zero at 1.3 in high at 50 yards =

2 in high at 100 yds.

0 at 150 yds

-5.1 in at 200 yds.

I tested this zero on the range, its accurate.  As long as you aim for the lungs, you can aim dead on thru 150 yds.

Love the .450, my ruger shoots MOA all rhe way out, its a laser.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I am partial to the Barnes 275gr TSX.  I am handloading them but several of the smaller commercial loaders off 450 Bushmaster with this bullet.

Shot nearly lengthwise down a doe last year.  It was a head on shot fire with her head down.  In behind her ear, through the body going through the top of her heart and then out through the belly in front of the rear leg.  That doe weight 140 lbs live weight.  The bullet broke the neck and then two ribs going into the chest cavity.  She fell right in her tracks never moved.

I went back the following weekend and found the bullet.  I had passed through about a foot of Tennessee chert after passing clean through the deer.  I think it lost one petal probably on the deer's neck as I did not find it in the hole.  Still retains 95% of its original weight.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The Hornady Black shot the best out of my 450 pistol, but I went with Federal's 300gr power shock as I wanted something that hit a little harder out of the 10.5" barrel.

I've heard complaints of the Hornady Black bullet breaking up but have no first hand knowledge of that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#11]
You can't go wrong with the Fusion. Very accurate in my Satern barreled AR. I do want to try some of the botique loads from either Underwood or Black Butterfly.

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am partial to the Barnes 275gr TSX.  I am handloading them but several of the smaller commercial loaders off 450 Bushmaster with this bullet.

https://i.imgur.com/zxRT0LEl.jpg
Shot nearly lengthwise down a doe last year.  It was a head on shot fire with her head down.  In behind her ear, through the body going through the top of her heart and then out through the belly in front of the rear leg.  That doe weight 140 lbs live weight.  The bullet broke the neck and then two ribs going into the chest cavity.  She fell right in her tracks never moved.

https://i.imgur.com/Vatz1fTm.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/G7fikH9m.jpg?1
I went back the following weekend and found the bullet.  I had passed through about a foot of Tennessee chert after passing clean through the deer.  I think it lost one petal probably on the deer's neck as I did not find it in the hole.  Still retains 95% of its original weight.
View Quote

TSX is a great round. That would make a good hog round!  Do you know who is loading that?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, zero at 1.3 in high at 50 yards =

2 in high at 100 yds.

0 at 150 yds

-5.1 in at 200 yds.

I tested this zero on the range, its accurate.  As long as you aim for the lungs, you can aim dead on thru 150 yds.

Love the .450, my ruger shoots MOA all rhe way out, its a laser.

View Quote

@Arty8

I almost didn't buy my 450 BM because I have a Savage 220F 20ga. I sighted it in 1" high at 100 yards also. Great rifle. I like this idea of no ranging at all with the 450 BM out to 150yds! That would be my longest shot for sure.

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

TSX is a great round. That would make a good hog round!  Do you know who is loading that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/zxRT0LEl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vatz1fTm.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/G7fikH9m.jpg?1

Black Butterfly ammunition is offering it in 450 Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I used a Mossberg 695 for nearly 15 years, but it was falling apart, I reluctantly switched to .450 and believe me, the .450 is far better even compared to the 12 guage 3 inch slugs I was using.  The .450 puts deer down.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used a Mossberg 695 for nearly 15 years, but it was falling apart, I reluctantly switched to .450 and believe me, the .450 is far better even compared to the 12 guage 3 inch slugs I was using.  The .450 puts deer down.
View Quote

Oh yeah. I hope to hammer some and some hogs maybe. My Savage 220F 20 ga drops them too. Never even consider 12 ga., overrated.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I've taken 8 deer, all 3.5 or 4.5 year old Southeast MI corn fed bucks with my 450BM.  These are not small deer.  Only 1 has needed tracking, and even then, he only went 30 yards (really thick stuff, can't see 10' in front of you).

All taken with the stock Hornady offering.  That ammo patterns/shoots better than my ability so I see no reason to change.

My Neighbor bought one off his brother and it came with a box of Remington's if memory serves.  Those things patterned like a shotgun out of both our rifles.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy some Hornady 450BM (Hornady Black is the same exact round, just marketing) and site in.

I'm 3" high at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had good results with the Hornady Black as well.  In shot a doe in 2017 from what we estimated was 176 yards away.  She turned, ran in a loop, and keeled over.  Last year I shot another doe from about 50 yards.  She went down, her front legs kicked a little bit, and that was lights out.  It's the only round I've fired through the gun, and will probably keep it that way until I have a reason not to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've taken 8 deer, all 3.5 or 4.5 year old Southeast MI corn fed bucks with my 450BM.  These are not small deer.  Only 1 has needed tracking, and even then, he only went 30 yards (really thick stuff, can't see 10' in front of you).

All taken with the stock Hornady offering.  That ammo patterns/shoots better than my ability so I see no reason to change.

My Neighbor bought one off his brother and it came with a box of Remington's if memory serves.  Those things patterned like a shotgun out of both our rifles.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy some Hornady 450BM (Hornady Black is the same exact round, just marketing) and site in.

View Quote

My son wants a .450 BM for Michigan deer hunting. What kind of scope is good for Michigan woods and how much pounding does it take under recoil?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not like them in .45-70, but that is the only caliber I've personally used them in. Shed the jacket very early and broke up a bit. At .458, you don't really need expansion. I feel the same about .450 BM. I'd stick to soft points, that is what I use in .450BM. I'd use the widest meplat I could find that would feed, if I could find any variations right now.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My son wants a .450 BM for Michigan deer hunting. What kind of scope is good for Michigan woods and how much pounding does it take under recoil?
View Quote

A 2.5-10 optic should be good enough for the ranges the 450 Bushmaster offers.  I have a Sightron S-TAC FFP 3-16x44 on my Ruger No. 1 in 450 BM.  It's overkill but I wanted something with an illuminated FFP reticle and it was on sale for a great price at the time.

My friend has a 3-9 Leupold on his Ruger American .450 and has taken a deer at over 200 yards with it.

Here's my rifle with the Sightron:
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I loaded up some of these for deer.  Interested to see how they perform.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/452-450-bushmaster-452-45-colt-454-casull-460-s-w
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A 2.5-10 optic should be good enough for the ranges the 450 Bushmaster offers.  I have a Sightron S-TAC FFP 3-16x44 on my Ruger No. 1 in 450 BM.  It's overkill but I wanted something with an illuminated FFP reticle and it was on sale for a great price at the time.

My friend has a 3-9 Leupold on his Ruger American .450 and has taken a deer at over 200 yards with it.

Here's my rifle with the Sightron:
https://imgur.com/M3rtX0P.jpg
View Quote

My son wants 3-9 but in the Michigan woods I was thinking a 1-6 power scope. He'll probably never shoot out beyond 200.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My son wants 3-9 but in the Michigan woods I was thinking a 1-6 power scope. He'll probably never shoot out beyond 200.
View Quote

1-6 should be good enough I'd think, especially if you're mainly sticking to heavy woods.  Even on my Sightron I don't really ever go above 10x magnification except for when I am sighting the scope in and testing accuracy, and I normally hunt open fields.  The two deer I shot this year were 180 and 150 yards, respectively, and I had my scope on the 8x setting for each shot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I put a Burris 332 on mine, zeroed at 100 yards. Hoping to smoke a deer with it this year using the federal 300g HP factory load.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@JellyBelly

Sorry for not seeing this sooner.  Mine has a Pentax 3X9 in a PEPR mount.  Nothing extravagant.  It's held zero pretty well even after dropping it scope first on the concrete when my sling failed.  I did add a Limbsaver butt pad to it to tame it down a bit.  You can add a heavier buffer to help with that as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had great success with the Hornady 250gr FTX. This is the fourth season I've used it, and it has yet to let me down.

This year I shot a nice eight point buck that was walking in, I had just walked into the woods and shot him from standing at about 35-40 yards. It blew through his left front leg, the top of his heart, and part of a lung. He leapt as soon as it hit him, landed, then dropped.

The past three seasons before I took nice doe. One was a bad shoulder shot on my part, she ran 30 yards and dropped. Next one was a double lung that blew all the way through (major blood trail), she still ran 20 yards. Last was one that folded up right where she stood. I can't remember where I hit that one.

Before I moved to the 450 bushmaster, I was shooting Hornady SSTs out of my 12GA. They also did really well for me, and the FTX projectile looks very similar to the one in my SST 's.

I have mine zeroed at 35 yards, which gives me the least amount of deviation from POA out to 250 yards. I'm using a Franklin Armory 14.5" barrel with pin/welded FA comp, and it's a hammer. Very accurate, and so easy to wield. For optics, I'm using a Nikon M223 1.5-6x scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top