Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2020 4:30:39 PM EDT
Quite a few years ago I picked up a few "XPack Filter" kits by Hydration Technologies.  Each has a reusable "forward osmosis" filtration pouch and several bottles of "syrup".  Supposedly you fill one side of the pouch with your questionable water and let it filter through, then add one bottle of syrup.  Ingredients are:  fructose, water, citric lime extract, sweetness enhancer, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate.

I THINK that the "syrup" is to make the filtered water taste better and to add some electrolytes and sugar.  I don't THINK that the "syrup" is required, but I don't know that and the company is not in business any longer.

The packs are still sealed and have been in my climate-controlled house since purchase.  HOWEVER, they have an expiration date of June, 2009.  I would GUESS that the expiration is mainly about the syrup and not the osmosis bags themselves.  But I guess the bags could break down, too.

Are these worth keeping for emergency uses?  I already have other types of filters (Lifestraws and a base-camp-style filtration bag).  These 3 kits cost about $40-50 when new (in 2006).

Any ideas?

Rob
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quite a few years ago I picked up a few "XPack Filter" kits by Hydration Technologies.  Each has a reusable "forward osmosis" filtration pouch and several bottles of "syrup".  Supposedly you fill one side of the pouch with your questionable water and let it filter through, then add one bottle of syrup.  Ingredients are:  fructose, water, citric lime extract, sweetness enhancer, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate.

I THINK that the "syrup" is to make the filtered water taste better and to add some electrolytes and sugar.  I don't THINK that the "syrup" is required, but I don't know that and the company is not in business any longer.

The packs are still sealed and have been in my climate-controlled house since purchase.  HOWEVER, they have an expiration date of June, 2009.  I would GUESS that the expiration is mainly about the syrup and not the osmosis bags themselves.  But I guess the bags could break down, too.

Are these worth keeping for emergency uses?  I already have other types of filters (Lifestraws and a base-camp-style filtration bag).  These 3 kits cost about $40-50 when new (in 2006).

Any ideas?

http://www.teddydog.org/rations/xpack_front.jpg
http://www.teddydog.org/rations/xpack_instructions.jpg

Rob
View Quote
Yep, remember them. Thought it was a clever idea, but also a gimmick. Don't see why they wouldn't work way past expiration.

The 'syrup' has nothing to do with the taste so much, it is necessary to make the ionic concentrations on each side of the membrane 'force/draw' water molecules thru.

Osmotic forces are a factor in most living things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top