Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2023 10:05:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6]
So, our evolution of doing more “camping” than backpacking started with a rooftop tent (RTT). Then, my wife experimented with the Sylvan Go-Sport trailer with the RTT on top and really likes the concept, so now she’s upgrading again.

This is all my wife. She’s bought the RTT, the Sylvan trailer, her “hatchback kitchen” setup in her little Jeep Trailhawk and I help with some of the other accessories (Solar generator, solar panel, kayaks, etc., stove, etc.). She refuses to look at any campers, she loves this style, so I just let her have her fun.

We’ve done more backpacking than camping, so our bar is low. She enjoys more primitive locations and camping, and while we likely won’t to “overlanding” type excursions, there are plenty of national forest sites in the Southeast that she wants to hit. She would like to visit Utah and Wyoming again with the setup, so we’ll see. We won't do any serious off-roading, but more primitive area camping is what we're looking for. Also, there are RTT get-togethers and she has one scouted for Virginia and one in Tennessee. She also wants to go back to some Southeastern cities, stay at a campsite and drive in to hit breweries or other activities...I'm game.  

Anybody have any experience with the Woolly Bear trailer (made in Houston)? She’s already put a down payment and talked with the sales rep. We should be getting it sometime in late January or February.

This will be the new platform for our RTT:

We also bring bikes, kayaks, and inflatable paddle boards, so this will give us the extra space, and its a lot more luxury for backpackers

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at a couple of other Taxa models before buying what I did (Sniper X12), they were solidly built for the most part but did not meet my criteria on a number of points which are irrelevant to your choice.

People seem hot or cold on them , they do offer factory tours if that interests you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
I looked at a couple of other Taxa models before buying what I did (Sniper X12), they were solidly built for the most part but did not meet my criteria on a number of points which are irrelevant to your choice.

People seem hot or cold on them , they do offer factory tours if that interests you.
View Quote

Thanks! Yeah, I don't see them as serious off-road/overlander trailers, but that's not really what we need. Heck, considering she wants to use her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to tow it, we're not going too far "off road". Considering our current setup, it's an upgrade

If my wife had more time, we talked about driving down to pick the trailer up, and a tour would be nice. They sales peeps seem pretty good so far and once built, we'll do a virtual walk through and give us a 24/7 number if we have any questions with someone tagged to be our personal rep (for a year I think).

The wife is already part of some Woolly Bear group on Facebook, so she's getting some ideas for modifications and accessories already...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:14:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#3]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Thanks! Yeah, I don't see them as serious off-road/overlander trailers, but that's not really what we need. Heck, considering she wants to use her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to tow it, we're not going too far "off road". Considering our current setup, it's an upgrade

If my wife had more time, we talked about driving down to pick the trailer up, and a tour would be nice. They sales peeps seem pretty good so far and once built, we'll do a virtual walk through and give us a 24/7 number if we have any questions with someone tagged to be our personal rep (for a year I think).

The wife is already part of some Woolly Bear group on Facebook, so she's getting some ideas for modifications and accessories already...

ROCK6
View Quote

Sounds like the ship has already sailed, LOL.

Highly recommend one or more of the Overland Expos on many different levels. East was just a month or so ago, but there are several (west,mountain west,PNW,east) Mild to wild everything from bicycles and blue tarps to Earthroamers. Great exposure to otherwise unknown and/or hard to find gear, great community of largely unpretentious people.
Enjoy your rig, get a propane shower, hot water changes everything  

ETA: don't sell the Trailhawk short. It's not a hard-core offroad rig but plenty enough capable for 80% of anywhere you may want to go, and a plenty good highway rig which is where you'll spend the majority of your time anyway coming/going
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
@bgenlvtex, thanks for the feedback. The wife is already looking at one of eastern expos in the near future, but there are some regional gatherings she's also looking into. She really would like to find other in the region interested and hopefully link up. She loves her Trailhawk BTW!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:04:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#5]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

Sounds like the ship has already sailed, LOL.

Highly recommend one or more of the Overland Expos on many different levels. East was just a month or so ago, but there are several (west,mountain west,PNW,east) Mild to wild everything from bicycles and blue tarps to Earthroamers. Great exposure to otherwise unknown and/or hard to find gear, great community of largely unpretentious people.
Enjoy your rig, get a propane shower, hot water changes everything  

ETA: don't sell the Trailhawk short. It's not a hard-core offroad rig but plenty enough capable for 80% of anywhere you may want to go, and a plenty good highway rig which is where you'll spend the majority of your time anyway coming/going
View Quote

He speaks the truth about the Trailhawk.  It’ll handle more than you think.  We’ve got a Gladiator and did the Jeep Adventure Academy in ‘22.  There was one Trailhawk and about 40 Wranglers and Gladiators.  The Trailhawk went everywhere we did.

When we went Jeep would let any vehicle with a “trail rated” badge in.  Now they’ve tightened the list and it’s only Wranglers/Gladiators and the Cherokee Trailhawk.

We did some things that day I wouldn’t have ever dreamed of without having professionals guide us.  The rock garden was terrifying and awesome.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
When we went Jeep would let any vehicle with a “trail rated” badge in.  Now they’ve tightened the list and it’s only Wranglers/Gladiators and the Cherokee Trailhawk.
View Quote

Very cool! My wife will be happy to hear this She really loves her little Cherokee Trailhawk. Everytime I'm in the car with her she reminds me how much she loves it. She's had Subarus the last three cars so this was a big step.

She likely won't do anything crazy off road, but she really would like to take it back to Utah and get into Canyon lands a little bit...

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top