Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2020 5:05:45 PM EDT
I've got a patch (roughly 15'x15') out back. Area was overgrown, and these were under a cedar tree. Area is cleared, tree gone, and I have a spot readied to transplant some this fall.

Problem is, it seems from the reading I've done, for some reason wild raspberries are the debil, and I should go buy commercial plants, and kill/burn any wild ones within 1000'.

Plan is to transplant about 6-8 suckers, and see if I can't have a supply of fresh raspberries, and if all goes well, plant a 2nd row.

Thoughts/advice?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Growing up in Michigan, the lot next to ours had mixed wild blackberries and raspberries. We harvested those for well over a decade until my dad decided to build on that lot. Never had a problem, and the fruits were outstanding.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Growing up in Michigan, the lot next to ours had mixed wild blackberries and raspberries. We harvested those for well over a decade until my dad decided to build on that lot. Never had a problem, and the fruits were outstanding.
View Quote

These were in an area I generally didn't go in to, but I recall seeing berries on them at times, just never took the effort to do anything with them. Now it's cleared, I made a slight attempt to show them a little attention (as best I could, and using info read on the internet), but seemed to cause more harm than good.

I did have several smaller berries earlier in the year, then suddenly they were gone. So I'm guessing the birds may have eaten them.

Reading "rows" are better than "patches" for sunlight and airflow. I'll just have to wing it and hope for the best, lol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't have raspberries here but tons of wild blackberries.
The only difference I can find in the wild and cultivated varieties is thorns, there are thornless blackberry varieties, how cool is that.
As for as growing wild blackberries, the only help I've ever given them is a shot of fertilizer in the early spring and
honestly I'm not sure how much it helps, sometimes the fertilized patch does really well and sometimes there's no
noticeable difference in the fruit, just lots more stalks and leaves. Might be a timing thing.
Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't have raspberries here but tons of wild blackberries.
The only difference I can find in the wild and cultivated varieties is thorns, there are thornless blackberry varieties, how cool is that.
As for as growing wild blackberries, the only help I've ever given them is a shot of fertilizer in the early spring and
honestly I'm not sure how much it helps, sometimes the fertilized patch does really well and sometimes there's no
noticeable difference in the fruit, just lots more stalks and leaves. Might be a timing thing.
Good luck with it.
View Quote

LOL, yeah no thorns wouldn't be a bad thing.

I do have some 10-10-10, chicken manure, dormant oil, and I believe some sort of sulphur powder which I'd bought via recommendations from some of the reading-up I've done.

Best I can tell (again from reading), is wild versions are more susceptible to disease/bugs.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for further info.

I have a patch of raspberries (with thorns) in my yard.

Not sure if they are wild or if once cultivated by previous owners.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tag for further info.

I have a patch of raspberries (with thorns) in my yard.

Not sure if they are wild or if once cultivated by previous owners.
View Quote

I've prepared a place to transplant a few plants into, once they go dormant.

Will post update (next spring) if they survive
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We have tons of wild gooseberry, wild grape, wild raspberry on the property.

Wild grapes are worthless weeds
, birds take the gooseberry, wild raspberry fruits are very small and not particularly sweet.
View Quote

I grew up eating wild grape jelly and drinking wild grape juice from MN. Maybe it depends on the part of the state they come from.

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If you cultivate them they cease being wild ??
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top