Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2018 3:03:14 AM EDT
I've got several cougars around my house. My neighbour sees them walking right next to his house but he doesn't shoot them, elderly guy in a wheelchair.
I've talked to somebody local here who suggested calling them in and mention fawns are being born now. So I'm looking at buying an electronic call and getting started. What should I know about this?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
They have cougars in Ireland?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The best electronic call I've ever used is made by Fox Pro. You can get one that is "species-specific", but any call that has a dying rabbit call and a fawn bleat should work.

More important than the call though, is your set-up or "hide"- cats are even sneakier than a damn coyote, so you'll need to stay well hidden.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
So you're plan is to intentionally attract a species of proven man-killers to your house?

What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It would seem the number of divorce threads in GD would be warning enough.

Cougars are expensive and eventually demand their own alimony. A guy can quickly go broke calling them in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cougars are expensive and eventually demand their own alimony. A guy can quickly go broke calling them in.
View Quote
I have to admit this was my 1st thought!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Long Island Iced Teas have worked good as an attractant, when I was hunting for then.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you're plan is to intentionally attract a species of proven man-killers to your house?

What could possibly go wrong?
View Quote
Yes, I was worried also. The guy I talked to was from fish and wildlife who told me to call them in. I was asking him how to get rid of them.
I told my mother that I was worried about calling them in and she said "they're already here!" Right now we think we have a female in heat walking around. We hear it screaming over by our barn, then the next night it was screaming down by the neighbours house. We've seen 3 on our property on trail cam.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I had several remarks come to mind but since this isn't GD I have restrained myself!
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
So about half of the replies have been gd replies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Put your back to something sturdy so it cannot take you from behind.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put your back to something sturdy so it cannot take you from behind.
View Quote
Yep, I've heard that a few times.
One thing I'm wondering is will they come out into a clearing? My plan was to put a fawn decoy out in a field and try to draw it out where I can see it. I'm not sure if they'll come out of cover like that though. These things aren't scared of people! I was shooting my 1911 tonight, I've got a shooting gallery with all kinds of spinning targets right behind my house, after I shot about 150 rounds and packed up to go inside I heard it screaming about less than 100 yards away, over by our barnyard. I had one playing peek-a-boo with me a few months ago while I was hiking up behind my house. It was maybe 30 yards out max.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They have cougars in Ireland?
View Quote
I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the United States at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Well you've seen more of them than I have. I have tried calling with a fox-pro a few times, it has a female in heat sound. I had no success. I have called lots of coyotes with the rabbit in distress call on the fox-pro. One time I was standing between the branches of a juniper using a rabbit in distress mouth call and a damned bobcat crawled into it behind me. We pretty much startled the shit out of each other. I called a lion in behind me that I didn't see once when using a mouth call, it left muddy tracks in the snow. With the fox-pro the caller is out away from you and the critters you call in are almost entirely focused on the caller location, so even though you should set up where you are not easily approached from behind it is less of a problem with the electronic caller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top