Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 10:02:44 AM EDT

Trying to help a neighbor verify what is believed to be a Vietnam-era Gerber boot knife belonging to his father, who was issued this knife during in that time period either in-country or just before going in.  

I don't have photos so that's a bit of a handicap. It is double edged, with no serrated/sawtooth edge, with a short leather sheath with a snap. I don't have the exact blade length, but about 5". Black sandy/rough finish handle. Bright blade.

Any sources I might go to that would have photos and a verification of whether it is actually what is believed to be the knife/s history?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Might have better luck in the Blades section.

Blades

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Without a picture everything is a guess.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Not a knife guy myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Similar. Thanks. Taking this to the Blade forum.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up that same knife, with a black coated blade, at the PX, in Panama, back in November of 89.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up that same knife, with a black coated blade, at the PX, in Panama, back in November of 89.
View Quote

Too funny, I picked up the same knife at the Ft Stewart PX in 1984. And then proceeded to lose the knife in the deserts of Ft Irwin about 6 months later.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s a Gerber Guardian. I doubt it was issued during Vietnam. They weren’t made until the 80’s. As mentioned go to Blade Forum. They have a Gerber section I think. Regardless someone there knows

You could also check Ebay to see what they are selling for.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have that exact knife, bought it at the BX back in the late 80's. I still manage have  it in the drawer of my workbench. I don't think it was ever an issued item at any time based on the sheath alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top