Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2019 3:57:25 PM EDT
Have any of you had any luck getting hunting permission by sending letters based on property tax searches? I've never tried it, but I've got 13 letters ready to go so far. I'm planning on starting to send a few per week. I'll be happy if 1 in 20 pays off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be lucky if 1 in 100 pays off.

Get out there and start knocking on doors.  Saturday afternoon, nicely dressed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never sent a letter. I always stop by and ask.

only been told no once, and that was some out of state asshole that moved up here and didn't want anyone hunting near his property. (we often cut across the corner of the property before he bought it, walking to a large parcel behind him)
He was not a hunter and didn't like those that were, plus his wife hated guns.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would give permission to someone I never met or talked to in person.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm mainly doing this just to see if it works. Several podcasts I listen to have recommended it. If it doesn't pay off, then I'm out the cost of some stamps. I've got my own place and a lease that I hunt already.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine hunts Fairfield county CT. He goes to wealthy estates often and knocks on doors until he gets permission. One day he knocked on Martha Stewart's door ( Unknowingly, Before she was Ultra-rich) She rolled her eyes at him and told him to "please go away". Lol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I would let a guy that stopped and asked long before I would consider doing anything short of mumbling insults under my breath about anyone that sent a letter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would let a guy that stopped and asked long before I would consider doing anything short of mumbling insults under my breath about anyone that sent a letter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m focusing my efforts on people that live at least 40 miles from the properties I’m asking about. Most of them are an hour or more. Some are on the other side of the country. If this doesn’t work, then I’ll knock on doors.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m focusing my efforts on people that live at least 40 miles from the properties I’m asking about. Most of them are an hour or more. Some are on the other side of the country. If this doesn’t work, then I’ll knock on doors.
View Quote
That makes sense then.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Please let us know how it goes!  If nothing else it'll be an interesting sample.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please let us know how it goes!  If nothing else it'll be an interesting sample.
View Quote
Will do. I sent the first 8 out of 18 letters yesterday. Going to send the rest this weekend. I've been pretty busy the last few days so I haven't had time to get any more together.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
As a landowner, I definitely recommend stopping by and asking in person. I'm more than happy to give permission, and show you tree lines and water sources on my land. Of course, a little sausage or a backstrap a month later never goes amiss.

But I'm unlikely to respond to a letter. I get too much junk mail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a landowner, I definitely recommend stopping by and asking in person. I'm more than happy to give permission, and show you tree lines and water sources on my land. Of course, a little sausage or a backstrap a month later never goes amiss.

View Quote
I agree. The chances of me allowing someone I don’t know access to my place based on a letter are slim to none. It was mentioned on a couple podcasts, so I figured I’d try.

Sooo... is that an open invite?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree. The chances of me allowing someone I don’t know access to my place based on a letter are slim to none. It was mentioned on a couple podcasts, so I figured I’d try.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, if you find yourself in ND.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you get all of this information?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@dan45678 The tax assessor's site for my area. Most counties have it. You can do a property tax records search based off of satellite maps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have any of you had any luck getting hunting permission by sending letters based on property tax searches? I've never tried it, but I've got 13 letters ready to go so far. I'm planning on starting to send a few per week. I'll be happy if 1 in 20 pays off.
View Quote
You’ll have better luck in person, and by offering help around the property so it’s give and take...not just take. I never had issues growing up. I’d offer to help milk cows, bale hay, whatever in the summer. A few days of work here and there yielded a couple thousand acres of hunting land to play on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You’ll have better luck in person, and by offering help around the property so it’s give and take...not just take. I never had issues growing up. I’d offer to help milk cows, bale hay, whatever in the summer. A few days of work here and there yielded a couple thousand acres of hunting land to play on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm focusing on owners that don't live near their property, but I did offer in the letter to be another set of eyes on the property, clean up, keep roads/paths clear, etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have found that there are certain animals you can ask permission to hunt at certain times of the year.

Rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, coyotes and coon are the only animals I will ask permission to hunt.

Deer, pheasants, fox and other pretty creatures are off the list.

I rarely get turned away.

But we are nicer here in Wisconsin and the laws are written to protect the landowner who gives permission to hunt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]
In some states, landowners are protected from liability if they give hunting permission without money changing hands.

I've gotten permission to pheasant hunt one property by knocking on the door.  My dad got me on to my mom's step-cousin's property for deer and I secured my place there by building box blinds, loading hay trailers and splitting firewood.   I also gut and/or process a handful of deer for my cousin. Honestly it's much better work than conference calls and emails and always having a beer in hand makes it more fun.  I also always show up with a lot of booze and food for everyone.

I'm not a smooth talker, so fat chance of me talking my way on to a property.

Good luck with your endeavors.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In some states, landowners are protected from liability if they give hunting permission without money changing hands.

I've gotten permission to pheasant hunt one property by knocking on the door.  My dad got me on to my mom's step-cousin's property for deer and I secured my place there by building box blinds, loading hay trailers and splitting firewood.   I also gut and/or process a handful of deer for my cousin. Honestly it's much better work than conference calls and emails and always having a beer in hand makes it more fun.  I also always show up with a lot of booze and food for everyone.

I'm not a smooth talker, so fat chance of me talking my way on to a property.

Good luck with your endeavors.
View Quote
Georgia has a law that does just that. As long as the owner doesn’t charge, they’re protected.

I’m going to be knocking on a door tomorrow. I was planning on just writing letters for now, but this place looks awesome and the owner lives right down the road from my son’s school.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#20]
For those interested, I've sent 8 letters. I had to get more stamps to send the rest. They'll be going out Monday. The first call came today. The landowner said that the property is already locked into a lease, but that may change next year. She said to call her back early next year and there was a possibility that we could work something out. It's not the response I was hoping for, but I'll take it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
When you get a yes to hunt deer, better run down and buy a lotto ticket.

I have great success asking to hunt coyote... I'm on a roll having got just ONE no in the last year.

Word in my area is out that I hunt coyote and get results... now, I'm getting the calls vs. me making the call. Just secured another piece of virgin land yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Another route to try would be to offer a limited form of property management in exchange for hunting rights.

For example:
You offer to keep roads trimmed and clear, survey firebreaks and property lines/fences, inspect for diseased timber, maybe mow an area for the land owner.

It shows that you’ll put in a little bit of effort to make sure their property is maintained.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another route to try would be to offer a limited form of property management in exchange for hunting rights.

For example:
You offer to keep roads trimmed and clear, survey firebreaks and property lines/fences, inspect for diseased timber, maybe mow an area for the land owner.

It shows that you’ll put in a little bit of effort to make sure their property is maintained.
View Quote
I put in the letter that I would keep an eye on their property, clean up trash, keep roads/paths clear, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I put in the letter that I would keep an eye on their property, clean up trash, keep roads/paths clear, etc.
View Quote
I think your plan has merit - person to person for close landowners; letters for absentee owners.

There is a need for landowners who are absentee from their properties to prevent squatters, vandalism, trespassers, poachers etc.  You just need to find those people that need and/or want your services.

As far as asking for permission to hunt, I would start with the simple stuff first: coyotes, rabbits, etc. NOT deer and turkey.  Especially so if a landowner has a prticular problem with a specific animal e.g. coyote problem.  Get your foot in the door and let the relationship go from there.

I have a neighbor who is an avid deer and turkey hunter (+25 deer heads in his house, goes to IL and KS every year etc.).  He has good luck getting permission to hunt.  Well dressed, well spoken, starts just after the season; trades contracting work for access.

And speaking of the last:  Are you in a trade?  Is there something you can do to trade for access?  Might be worth looking into.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Ask in person.
Start small, sincerely offer to help, and be appreciative.

Most non-land owners are clueless regarding land rights and cost of ownership. Golf in summer and show up in November to take what they want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think your plan has merit - person to person for close landowners; letters for absentee owners.

There is a need for landowners who are absentee from their properties to prevent squatters, vandalism, trespassers, poachers etc.  You just need to find those people that need and/or want your services.

As far as asking for permission to hunt, I would start with the simple stuff first: coyotes, rabbits, etc. NOT deer and turkey.  Especially so if a landowner has a prticular problem with a specific animal e.g. coyote problem.  Get your foot in the door and let the relationship go from there.

I have a neighbor who is an avid deer and turkey hunter (+25 deer heads in his house, goes to IL and KS every year etc.).  He has good luck getting permission to hunt.  Well dressed, well spoken, starts just after the season; trades contracting work for access.

And speaking of the last:  Are you in a trade?  Is there something you can do to trade for access?  Might be worth looking into.

Good luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!
I'm an IT guy, so not much in the trades experience. We're so rural that a lot of the homes near me don't have any wired internet options.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ask in person.
Start small, sincerely offer to help, and be appreciative.

Most non-land owners are clueless regarding land rights and cost of ownership. Golf in summer and show up in November to take what they want.
View Quote
I plan on mentioning that kind of stuff when I ask in person. I actually knocked on my first door last week. The owner seemed very open to the idea, but needed to check with her cousin first. She said to call her back next week.

I made sure to mention in my letter that a lot of my hunting has been on family land and on my own land, so I understand landowner concerns. I also mentioned the kind of work I'd do and said that we could discuss any other work that needed to be done.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Another landowner called today and I got a solid maybe. He said he would call me back. That's 2 responses out of 8 letters. They aren't definite yes's, but it's not no's either. I've got 12 more to send as soon as I get around to addressing them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
What part of GA? General area is fine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What part of GA? General area is fine.
View Quote
Central
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm an IT guy, so not much in the trades experience. We're so rural that a lot of the homes near me don't have any wired internet options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!
Don't dismiss it:  A lot of country type folks, including but not limited to the elderly, probably could have some type of internet/computer problems you could help fix.

I live rural and I had trouble getting internet out to my shop.  Fortunately, a thread here on Arfcom got me a solution.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#32]
So far I’ve had 2 maybes, 1 probably, and 1 definitely replies. The definite response was for hogs, but he said he’ll let me deer hunt if the hog hunting goes well. The woman that said she’ll probably let me hunt is checking with her cousin, but said she thinks he only hunts turkeys.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#33]
You can do what my neighbor did and just show up and force his help upon me whenever he saw me outside working on something, be it firewood, hay, or whatever. When he asked to hunt how could I say no? We still need to get out and build him a blind this year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I personally do not do it, but my buddies hunt state lands. I know you have to get ahead of the crowd and put in for everything. One of them will get X tract of land bow season and gets a buddy pass. Then the other guy pays back his buddy pass on a different tract in general gun. They actually do well, and have got deer for the last 10 years doing this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Depends on the state.  I'm in Ohio a good chunk of the year...not going to happen.  The rest of the year when I in WI/MN...Western WI, western MN, ND, and SD, I have good luck for pheasant.  I don't bother asking for deer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I think statistically you did well getting responses.   It’s been twenty five years or so since I went knocking on doors wearing a button up shirt asking for permission to small game hunt.

I got a lot of “no”s.   15:1.   That was for woodchucks, squirrels and rabbits on old farmsteads.   I learned quickly to not ask to hunt but ask to hunt small game.   They all have family and cousins that come around in deer season.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think statistically you did well getting responses.   It’s been twenty five years or so since I went knocking on doors wearing a button up shirt asking for permission to small game hunt.

I got a lot of “no”s.   15:1.   That was for woodchucks, squirrels and rabbits on old farmsteads.   I learned quickly to not ask to hunt but ask to hunt small game.   They all have family and cousins that come around in deer season.
View Quote
I’m really surprised at the number of responses. I expected 1 maybe at best and at least a couple calling to cuss me out for even asking. It has encouraged me to keep at it though. I’ve got another list of locals and am planning on knocking on doors soon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Some years back my old taxidermist and his son went down to Westchester, NY which is home to some very wealthy people with large estates, but it also has many properties in the 2-10 acre range, which is perfect for growing whitetails.

Well they picked one particular area and started at the bottom of hill and started knocking on doors. As they went along they were getting discouraged as every home owner was saying no, but they pressed on. Well they finally arrived at the last house at the top of the hill and low and behold the homeowner said yes. He came back for the Nov 1 opener and arrowed a 130" that just made the book in NYS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’m really surprised at the number of responses. I expected 1 maybe at best and at least a couple calling to cuss me out for even asking. It has encouraged me to keep at it though. I’ve got another list of locals and am planning on knocking on doors soon.
View Quote
You should do fine, just don't overpromise what you will do.  I get mail a few times a year from guys asking to hunt, collect mushrooms, cut firewood, log, farm, walk, dirt bike, ride horses etc on our 160 acres.  Those are all the reasons we bought the land, so I usually decline.  I do allow a couple people a year to take deer during our late antlerless season, but most guys seem to want to shoot bucks, no matter how small.  We can easily take 5 does in an afternoon/evening hunt.  If you aren't seeing deer, there is probably a coyote or two to take a shot at.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#40]
it really depends on what your hunting and how.  Every single farmer I asked while in College practically begged me to kill every worthless piece of shit woodchuck that was on their land.  Most said anytime you want others requested a call saying you would be out there shooting.  Im not talking booming 500 rounds just 3-4 at woodchucks.  These conversations in turn allowed me to bowhunt on some of the land but there are far too many gun hunters around there to even think they would give permission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top