Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Any hammock campers? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2021 7:16:45 PM EDT
The wife and I recently bought a couple of cheap hammocks, and have begun hitting state parks with hammocks instead of tents. I hope to get her out on some trails eventually, but for now just getting her feet wet.
I won't be going back to a tent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. I really like my bear butt double wide (sounds like something you'd find in a trailer park?). Anyway it has held up well for me. I replaced the steel carabiners with aluminum ones and use a nylon strap (not the crappy ropes that come with some hammocks) to hang with. Make sure your tarp overlaps the ends of the hammock by maybe a foot or so.
On nice nights it is very relaxing to forgo the tarp and fall asleep watching the stars above.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Hanging from the Hammock is my favorite way to camp. Where i hike i always have trees, so i never have to worry about finding places to hang. Car camping takes a bit more work to make sure i'll have trees, but it's still worth it to never wake up sore or stiff.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep..I've climbed Guadalupe Mtn here a few times and to save weight I carried only a hammock. Trees are a little tougher to find up there but it can be done. Just make sure the tarp is wide enough (as said above). 2/3 years we have gone it stormed on us and one year I left a shoe outside the tarp. Made for a long walk down.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I built a couple of these for use in the yard, and campsites in the parks without good trees.

Very easy to make, and a 10x12 tarp just fits on the 13' ridgeline. I need to get the tubes on the ridgeline smaller so it is easy to pack.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I switched to hammocks.  I use a blackbird with a hammock gear underquilt.  20 degree with extra down.  I have had it down to 15 degrees and stayed very comfortable.  Honestly, I think my tent weighs less and takes up less room than the hammock, tarp, underquilt etc.  but it is so much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Tried a warbonnet for awhile back when they first became popular on hammockforums. Lord knows how many years ago that was, but I never could get the hang right or get used to that offset foot box. Ended up selling it after the Mt Rogers VA winter trips that forum organized faded away. Been using a seek outside shelter and an exped mat for a couple years now and haven’t been disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Clark jungle hammock master race checking in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Recently started using a hennessy hammock jungle explorer and love it but already looking forward to upgrading to a warbonnet blackbird xlc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

A bit heavy for most back packing, BUT it is big enough to roll around in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical] [#11]
Hennessy Hammock here... Upper and lower quilts with door closing tarp...

Edit: Hennessy 4 season hammock, upper and Lower quilts UGQ, Tarp HG Journey...
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice. We have a couple of 10x12 tarps that we make doors with. The wife feels more secure closing the ends when she goes to bed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Nice. We have a couple of 10x12 tarps that we make doors with. The wife feels more secure closing the ends when she goes to bed.
View Quote

Gives a sense of security, yes... I prefer because of that...
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Currently using an ENO Sub 6 with Helios suspension and a pretty basic silnylon tarp off Amazon.  Real light and works great, especially in wet weather.  

Don't see myself ever going back to a tent
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Blackbird XLC w/ 0* underquilt (ordered a 20 but they sent a 0, which turned out handy) and 20* top quilt. I need to get a cooler one for summer camping.

Also have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe XL on the way to try out/have a backup/extra.

I'll never sleep on the ground again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:21:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical] [#16]
Originally Posted By cavsct1983:
Blackbird XLC w/ 0* underquilt (ordered a 20 but they sent a 0, which turned out handy) and 20* top quilt. I need to get a cooler one for summer camping.

Also have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe XL on the way to try out/have a backup/extra.

I'll never sleep on the ground again.
View Quote

I have liked my Hennessy... Yah, pretty much sleeping on the ground is for suckers who have not tried Hammocks... I was one...  Have spent more, but just getting a good night's sleep is worth it...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Blackbird XLC, Superfly tarp, Wookie 20 underquilt and hammock gear 30 top quilt.  Haven't used a tent in the last 4 years since discovering this world...
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Last trip out to Lost Creek Wilderness. Found a nice site about halfway through a 30 mile loop. Dutchwear hammock, separate bug net and a cuban fiber tarp.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I like tents for when above tree line ;-)
but I also like hammock backpacking/camping

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, and when it is cold a hammock with a insulated pad, better than a pad on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
About to hammock this weekend.  Low of 8. Brrrr.  My underquilt is a 20. May have to throw a pad in also.  Been down to 15 before and did fine.  When it's that cold I hate getting up in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:00:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rigian] [#22]
Went out for a 3 night camp with a group a few years ago. When I started setting up my hammock and rain fly they all thought I was nuts. First night it stormed pretty good. I woke up in the morning totally dry to the sound of them packing up to leave. They were all totally soaked. 3 nights turned into 1 night. I was pretty annoyed because they were my ride otherwise I would have stayed out there myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#23]
60-year-old with a bad back, among other issues.
Last spring my wife and I went camping with the kids and grandkids, we slept on an airbed in a tent. I got maybe 4 hours sleep and had to have help standing up the next morning. They had some cheap hammocks that I tried in the afternoon and slept better as a nap than i did at night.
I bought a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe XL when we got home after reading a lot of reviews. After a week of trial hanging in the back yard, sleeping every other night in the house, all the stretch was out of the system.

I was thoroughly convinced that hammocks are the way. Sleeping on the ground is stupid.

I am planning on an upgraded tarp, probably a One Wind. Being able to close the ends will be a welcome upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical] [#24]
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:
60-year-old with a bad back, among other issues.
Last spring my wife and I went camping with the kids and grandkids, we slept on an airbed in a tent. I got maybe 4 hours sleep and had to have help standing up the next morning. They had some cheap hammocks that I tried in the afternoon and slept better as a nap than i did at night.
I bought a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe XL when we got home after reading a lot of reviews. After a week of trial hanging in the back yard, sleeping every other night in the house, all the stretch was out of the system.

I was thoroughly convinced that hammocks are the way. Sleeping on the ground is stupid.

I am planning on an upgraded tarp, probably a One Wind. Being able to close the ends will be a welcome upgrade.
View Quote

@SC4eyes

UGQ winter dream 12ft

Journey HG

Warbonnet
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:
About to hammock this weekend.  Low of 8. Brrrr.  My underquilt is a 20. May have to throw a pad in also.  Been down to 15 before and did fine.  When it's that cold I hate getting up in the morning.
View Quote
I always carry a couple of handwarmer packs. If it gets too cold, I'll drop one between my underquilt and hammock.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I switched to hammocks.  I use a blackbird with a hammock gear underquilt.  20 degree with extra down.  I have had it down to 15 degrees and stayed very comfortable. Honestly, I think my tent weighs less and takes up less room than the hammock, tarp, underquilt etc.  but it is so much more comfortable.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Do any of you sleep diagonally? I've read that that's the way to lay flatter but it seems like it would be awkward.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rca2222:
Do any of you sleep diagonally? I've read that that's the way to lay flatter but it seems like it would be awkward.

View Quote

It’s not awkward if the hammock is designed correctly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

It is very comfortable sleep. The problem many folks have is they go out and buy a hammock that doesn't work for camping. For most, a 10' hammock would be the minimum, 11' more better. 12', and you have trouble covering it in bad weather, and finding trees in some places.
Less than 10' is too short unless you are under 5'10".
The cheap walmart and harbor freight hammocks are ok for day use and farting around, but if you want to camp in it, chances are you will want something nicer. Hammocks are like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#31]
At 6'3" I am too tall for most of the normal hammocks.
I purchased this  
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

And I love it for diagonal, sideways, upside down, whatever I want and the best thing about a hammock is you can have a place to sit in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Hennessy is diagonal... Yes, sleeping more flat...
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#33]
I switched to hammocks.  I use a blackbird with a hammock gear underquilt.  20 degree with extra down.  I have had it down to 15 degrees and stayed very comfortable.  Honestly, I think my tent weighs less and takes up less room than the hammock, tarp, underquilt etc.  but it is so much more comfortable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We haven't touched our Blackbird hammocks for some time; excellently built and my top choice for cold weather hammocking, but for cold trips the wife doesn't go and my ground system is simply lighter. I like the Blackbird set up for "truck camping" as it's much heavier than my typical backpacking setup (Halfwit with Dyneema fly and 3/4 dry-down underquilt).

Hammocks (if you can tolerate that sleeping style) is exponentially more comfortable to sleep in if the conditions are favorable and/or you have accessories for colder weather.

Originally Posted By SC4eyes:

I wouldn't say stupid, but less desired

I've "gone to ground" in my hammock a few times.  One was due to a cold snap that my hammock wasn't set up for, but my setup is designed to move the hammock to the ground with ground insulation, and sealing off the wind under the fly. Not as comfortable, but I was able to sleep better than hanging when the temps made it impossible.

I've also set my hammock up as as ground bivvy, using my trekking poles as a frame structure (not as weight bearing) for the hammock and for the rain fly. My wife and I would camp on the top of balds (no trees) if the water was good; had to go to ground.  One of my standard pack items is six-sections of a Z-Rest pad that cover my butt to neck on the ground.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Local Ace Hardware sells a variety of ENO hammocks/tarps. The price is attractive but they seem heavy.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Just stumbled unto this section of the forums Should have known this place had an area for camping, duh.

Anyway. Reviving an old thread because...

I recently decided to try hammock camping. My old butt did an overnight on my land to try out some emergency gear in my truck bag. Discovered rather quickly that I'm no spring chicken anymore and the ground sucks! I used a tarp, pad, etc. (Got the idea from Corporals Corner-Youtube).
A friend of mine suggested a hammock. He brought over his Hennessy and let me try it. Holy COW! I was sold immediately!

I went on the hunt and landed on the Onewind 11' double Hammock with the bug net based on reviews. This is my first go round with hammocks and I'm staying on a somewhat budget type system. I've been reading Hammock Forums for info(should've started there) and ideas. My next purchase will be an underquilt and tarp. Probably gonna stick with onewind for this setup. A 12' hexagon tarp, and 40 degree type UQ should be fine for me. I don't plan on much if any winter camping right now.

Skeeters here will tote small children off into the sunset, so the bug net was very important.

I'm interested in what people use for summer UQ, or is a pad better? I'm in eastern NC so summer is HOT. From what I've been told and read about a 60-65 degree night can get really cold in a hammock.

3/4 or full length UQ(Under quilt)?

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raimius] [#36]
So, I tend to camp in temperate or cooler conditions...
I use a 0deg full length UQ, and vary the quilt/bag/blanket.  
That said, if you are camping in warmer weather, I'd probably go lighter on the UQ (or none and just bring enough blanket to sleep on, if I got chilly).

If it's under 70deg out, you probably want something under you.  If it's still in the 60s, going on top of a blanket might work.  If it's below 60, I'd go with a UQ. You can make a UQ for pretty cheap with a blanket or poncho liner, grommet kit, shock cord, and a couple cord locks.  I did that for my first setup, then went out and bought a nice UQ for cold weather.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve never used a hammock. I rarely sleep on my back in bed, mostly on my side or stomach. How is it getting used to sleeping on your back in a hammock?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:10:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corruptor] [#38]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
I bought a cheap Hooga Goods hammock/bug net combo with rain tarp off Amazon about 5 years ago on sale and it lasted until this April, maybe 5-7 uses per year. I was very happy with it.

Once it died I bought another brand (will have to look but also bought on sale via Amazon) in the XL size and it is way too big. Comfortable but you sweat to death because without two people in the hammock the sides almost completely cover the top of you. Quality is good enough for me.

I typically prefer a hammock to a tent because of how many problems you solve with a single system:
Off the ground
Bug free
Comfortable
Quick setup and takedown
Packable
Lightweight
View Quote

@southerncross

What do you use for an underquilt and for covering during the warmer months here, if anything at all?  I used a cheap sleeping bag at CWSE (my first time hammock camping) and while it worked well it's way too warm for summer, plus it doesn't pack worth a shit.  I'm looking at taking a few weekend trail riding trips and need to keep my pack size as small as I can.

Also, it seems I read somewhere that mosquitoes and other bugs can bite through a hammock if I skip the UQ.  Is this true, and has anyone actually had a problem with this?  I live in GA and bugs are quite the problem here from spring to late fall, so...  (Plus, I don't know a damn thing about camping, this is all fairly new to me!)
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By raimius:
So, I tend to camp in temperate or cooler conditions...
I use a 0deg full length UQ, and vary the quilt/bag/blanket.  
That said, if you are camping in warmer weather, I'd probably go lighter on the UQ (or none and just bring enough blanket to sleep on, if I got chilly).

If it's under 70deg out, you probably want something under you.  If it's still in the 60s, going on top of a blanket might work.  If it's below 60, I'd go with a UQ. You can make a UQ for pretty cheap with a blanket or poncho liner, grommet kit, shock cord, and a couple cord locks.  I did that for my first setup, then went out and bought a nice UQ for cold weather.
View Quote

@raimius

Seeing how I'm just now giving hammock camping a go, and its already bumping 70 at night here I'll probably try something homemade and very light. I'm looking at the rolls of reflectix online. I think I might can rig a UQ out of it maybe?
My bug net is a drape over type that covers the entire hammock. Not just the top so I don't have to worry so much about getting bit through the bottom of my hammock.

Here is a question. What about an UQ protector? Could use it as an double layer and slip the thin reflectix between the hammock and protector if needed?

Here is Onewinds version.

https://www.onewindoutdoors.com/products/onewind-underquilt-protector-for-hammock-camping
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By corruptor:

@southerncross

What do you use for an underquilt and for covering during the warmer months here, if anything at all?  I used a cheap sleeping bag at CWSE (my first time hammock camping) and while it worked well it's way too warm for summer, plus it doesn't pack worth a shit.  I'm looking at taking a few weekend trail riding trips and need to keep my pack size as small as I can.

Also, it seems I read somewhere that mosquitoes and other bugs can bite through a hammock if I skip the UQ.  Is this true, and has anyone actually had a problem with this?  I live in GA and bugs are quite the problem here from spring to late fall, so...  (Plus, I don't know a damn thing about camping, this is all fairly new to me!)
View Quote

My buddy with the Hennessy said he's been bitten through his. I also read that online as well. The UQ protector I linked to above says it doubles as a skeeter barrier. I have no personal experience though. If you read the specs it seems to pack down really small and the 85x53 weighs 6.35ozs.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FatNsassy:

@raimius

Seeing how I'm just now giving hammock camping a go, and its already bumping 70 at night here I'll probably try something homemade and very light. I'm looking at the rolls of reflectix online. I think I might can rig a UQ out of it maybe?
My bug net is a drape over type that covers the entire hammock. Not just the top so I don't have to worry so much about getting bit through the bottom of my hammock.

Here is a question. What about an UQ protector? Could use it as an double layer and slip the thin reflectix between the hammock and protector if needed?

Here is Onewinds version.

https://www.onewindoutdoors.com/products/onewind-underquilt-protector-for-hammock-camping
View Quote

That might work well for hot weather.  Limiting air flow underneath is a big factor for not getting cold.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By raimius:

That might work well for hot weather.  Limiting air flow underneath is a big factor for not getting cold.
View Quote

I'm gonna give the UQP a try I think. I strung my hammock up in my shop yesterday. It was upper 80's. I jumped in to give it a try and with the limited breeze from being inside I could definitely see it getting uncomfortably hot.
I did however doze off LOL Woke up an hour later thinking it was much later.

Anybody try treating their gear with a repellent like permethrin or something similar? Maybe just the bugnet?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I camped out last night. The weather was probably low 90s during the day, dropped to about 70 at night. I used my same cheap sleeping bag this time around, intending to lay on it as a pad only and not use it as a cover. About 4:00 in the morning I decided differently and had to wrap up a bit. I'm pretty surprised that despite the high humidity, the low of 70 was still fairly chilly.  I need to find something a little lighter for the hotter months coming up, but I am absolutely sold on this whole hammock thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Well I sold my Onewind hammock setup. Just didn't like how big it was. My sights are now set on the Warbonnet Eldorado double with the minifly tarp. Contacted WB and they have a sale coming up. Will take the dive then. About a $180 more for them vs Onewind but I'm doing the buy once cry once thing.

No underquilt right now. I will buy it at a later date seeing how they're $200 + for the yeti or Wooki. After watching tons of videos I think the 3/4 or torso length might be for me. This is like building a rifle with all the damn options out there!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Warbonnet makes good things, from what I've read.  You should do well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:15:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LineHaul] [#49]
Warbonnet El Dorado
Mini fly tarp
Hammock Gear Phoenix 20*
Hammock gear pillow
No name down blanket i got years ago i don’t remember the rating.  

Super comfy setup and has gotten me into the low 30’s
I may order a 20* HG top quilt while they are on sale for Labor Day
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been using the same Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym since 2006.  

It's getting long in the tooth.  

What's the new standard in hammocks?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Any hammock campers? (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top