Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2024 5:42:34 PM EDT
Again, I've been out of the ham radio scene for quite some time now.  I'm in the process of getting my gear back together and ran across the Yaesu FT-65R for $109.  I'm sure it's got to be better than the POS Baofengs I have but wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this radio.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not have one, but it gets favorable reviews.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. I like it. I believe the older ones were made in China. The newer generation is made in Japan, as is the one I have. Chirp works well with it, although you need the programming cable (it does not come with one). It's definitely a step up from a UV-5R. They were $99 when I got mine from DX Engineering. I saw they are now $110. Gigaparts has it for $95 and DX will usually price match. It's a nice little radio. I recommend one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2. I like them very much. With the same antenna and same squelch level. The 65r will receive signals that my radtel RT470x and baofeng Uv5r pro won't pickup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

I have four DMR/Analog and one C4FM/Analog HT's along with a DMR/Analog mobile. The two TYT MD-UV380 HT's are my favorites due to their low cost and the OpenGD77 firmware I have installed on them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/IMG_0547_-_Copy_jpg-3150462.JPG

I have four DMR/Analog and one C4FM/Analog HT's along with a DMR/Analog mobile. The two TYT MD-UV380 HT's are my favorites due to their low cost and the OpenGD77 firmware I have installed on them.
View Quote

When I get a 390PLUS, I am putting OpenGD77 on my other 390. Great radios for the money, just wish they kept the better speak mic connection of my MD-2017.

I would get the 380/390 and put the OpenGD77 on it before getting the FT-65. But thats just me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The TYT-390 is interesting. I see on Amazon some are advertised with encryption (I know the rules) that are less expensive than ones that don’t mention it. Anyone know what the deal is there?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The TYT-390 is interesting. I see on Amazon some are advertised with encryption (I know the rules) that are less expensive than ones that don’t mention it. Anyone know what the deal is there?
View Quote

The tyt380/390s are setup to handle business band digital. So they have that built in. Wont come into play with you do the mentioned firmware update, which makes them more user friendly from the front panel for ham use.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the rx / tx performance like on the TYT radios?  I’m hesitant because my Baofengs are crap.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, more questions. Does anyone make a ptt for the TYT 390 that works with peltor headsets?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry, more questions. Does anyone make a ptt for the TYT 390 that works with peltor headsets?
View Quote

Same kenwood connector as your fengs. Disco 32.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 2.  I got one when they first came out and it is the China version.  It's buggy and the TX unlock mod doesn't work on it.  Sometimes when it's been left on for a while, the receive audio will drop out.  It is clearly receiving a signal, the RX light comes on, but there is no speaker output.  It works again after power cycling it.

The newer Japanese version can be unlocked, and it doesn't suffer from the odd receive audio bug the older one has.  I like this one very much.  Not so with the older version.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are a bad influence.  I received the FT-65R and have been impressed with it thus far.  Solid dual band radio for $100!

But, I also ordered a TYT 390 Plus.  This will my first DMR radio so I'll have a lot of learning to do.  Thankfully we have a huge DMR repeater network in the area but I went ahead and ordered a MMDVM hat for a spare raspberry pi I have laying around.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You guys are a bad influence.  I received the FT-65R and have been impressed with it thus far.  Solid dual band radio for $100!

But, I also ordered a TYT 390 Plus.  This will my first DMR radio so I'll have a lot of learning to do.  Thankfully we have a huge DMR repeater network in the area but I went ahead and ordered a MMDVM hat for a spare raspberry pi I have laying around.
View Quote

I'm the admin for the TGIF Network ARFCOMM Talk Group 556. If you need help with you MMVM hotspot or radio, please feel free to reach out.

TGIF Network Create an account with TGIF and join us there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm the admin for the TGIF Network ARFCOMM Talk Group 556. If you need help with you MMVM hotspot or radio, please feel free to reach out.

TGIF Network Create an account with TGIF and join us there.
View Quote

Registered, I'll have to figure out the rest once I have all my equipment.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple of them with the speaker mic's. Best budget HT IMO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 ft65r. One was a b stock. No issues at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I clearly have a lot to learn here.  I grabbed a sample code plug from a local club and got it loaded into the radio.  It looks like there's traffic but I'm not hearing anything.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
DMR talkgroups act like CTCSS code and filter your reception.  Try to get into monitor mode and see what talk groups are active.  You need the right talkgroup, color code, and Timeslice 1/2 to receive if not in monitor mode.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Thumbs up on the ft65r. Ive got 2 that get banged around pretty good, knocked off the bench onto concrete and still work great. Good clear audio also.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DMR talkgroups act like CTCSS code and filter your reception.  Try to get into monitor mode and see what talk groups are active.  You need the right talkgroup, color code, and Timeslice 1/2 to receive if not in monitor mode.
View Quote

I think my problem is that I'm able to select the zone, then the repeater / channel but I'm unable to select the talk group / contact.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Protip on getting the battery off of the FT65 - while sliding the button in the direction of the arrow you have to lift the bottom of the battery out of the cradle.  

In case you haven't already discovered this.
Top Top