Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2022 8:07:12 PM EDT
I have been looking for a good sized used tractor that would pull an 8-10' mower, but haven't seen anything I think is worth the $$$. Between my property, and my folks adjoining one, I need to mow a LOT! I don't know exactly how much, but I'm pretty sure it's well into double digits of acres. Currently using a combination of a 42" John Deere riding mower, and a 49 horsepower Kubota with a 72" finish mower. Right now, to do everything we keep cut, is probably a 10-12 hour job.

I'm considering getting a dedicated mower, and I'm thinking some sort of commercial duty zero turn might be the way to go. It needs to be at least a 60" deck, and 72" would be preferable. It also needs to have enough power, to chew through grass that probably should have been cut last week. Most importantly, I want something that can stand up to heavy use for at least a couple thousand hours before it needs much more than regular maintenance.

I'm assuming that anything from the big box stores is out. The only three actual local dealers are Scag, which looks great, but seems pricey, Dixie Chopper which looks interesting, and Hustler.  I see a lot of folks with larger properties using that brand, but I don't know a lot about the dealer. The few times I've dealt with them for parts, they seemed expensive, but that was years ago.

I see most of the local lawn services using Exmark equipment, which seems a good sign. There is also a John Deere dealer fairly close, but in my experience, they tend to be pretty proud of their products.

So, any suggestions, or recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
commercial grade Hustler
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hydro Gear 3100s or better.

Kawasaki Engine

Fabricated deck.

Anything else is less important, including the color.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Our family has several gasshopper zero turn mowers.  All were bought used, and we have been satisfied with their performance.  We have a local dealer for parts & support & they usually have parts (new or used) available.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an EXMARK zero turn that I bought in 2012 I've had it serviced twice and replaced blades once,  no real problems with it, but the dealer is an asshole they tried to deliver a cheaper mower than the one I paid for and I caught them.  These are a mower only and no where near as capable as the Ford 5610 tractor with John Deere 609 bush hog that I used to have.  If you are doing anything other than mowing you need a tractor not a zero turn.  It really sounds like you need a tractor with a large bat wing mower so that you can cut your time down, if you want to keep mowing the whole area.   If you have that much acreage you probably should have it fenced and run cattle or row crop it even if you grow pumpkins for the fall.  I've been told that if you hate someone give them a horse and if you really hate them give them two horses,  goats I don't know much about, but cattle could keep the grass down.  I would be inclined to reduce the amount of ground mowed  to about an acre at each house, or less.  I really wish I had the acreage that I used to have, but then I would row crop it, about half was  CRP in mixed grasses and was mowed occasionally so I understand what mowing 50 or 60 acres is like and there has to be a better plan.

All-New John Deere Flex Wing Rotary Cutters
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hydro Gear 3100s or better.

Kawasaki Engine

Fabricated deck.

Anything else is less important, including the color.
View Quote

I've heard that fabricated versus stamped is the way to go
How do you tell "better" in what I assume is drive motors?

Which Kawasaki? I'm seeing different letters on the end, and I know there is consumer grade, and commercial grade but don't know which is which?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
commercial grade Hustler
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an EXMARK zero turn that I bought in 2012 I've had it serviced twice and replaced blades once,  no real problems with it, but the dealer is an asshole they tried to deliver a cheaper mower than the one I paid for and I caught them.  These are a mower only and no where near as capable as the Ford 5610 tractor with John Deere 609 bush hog that I used to have.  If you are doing anything other than mowing you need a tractor not a zero turn.  It really sounds like you need a tractor with a large bat wing mower so that you can cut your time down, if you want to keep mowing the whole area.   If you have that much acreage you probably should have it fenced and run cattle or row crop it even if you grow pumpkins for the fall.  I've been told that if you hate someone give them a horse and if you really hate them give them two horses,  goats I don't know much about, but cattle could keep the grass down.  I would be inclined to reduce the amount of ground mowed  to about an acre at each house, or less.  I really wish I had the acreage that I used to have, but then I would row crop it, about half was  CRP in mixed grasses and was mowed occasionally so I understand what mowing 50 or 60 acres is like and there has to be a better plan.
View Quote

I agree, but I have access to the Kubota which is 4wd, hydro, and has a 72" loader. That easily takes care of the utility tractor needs. Livestock or crops really isn't something I want to get into right now. When I got the idea a couple of years ago, I could have bought a 70 hp tractor, and 10 foot trailer rotary mower for $10-12,000. Then covid hit, new equipment became unobtanium, and similar setups are now running around $25k in this area! I get supply and demand, but I'm not paying $20,000 for a 40 year old 2wd tractor with 8000 hours on it!

I'd love to have the setup in that video, but that's easily a $50-60,000 rig right now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no way I'd continually mow that much acreage. Bale it for hay, plant a crop, run livestock, or just let it grow and mow a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Toro 3000 Series Z Master 60"

Works great on my 10acres.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Spartan 62inch with the Vanguard.  I love it.  I hear a lot of people are happy with their Cub Cadets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#12]
mowing that much with a zero turn. make sure you get one with some kind of suspension seating.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]
If you already have a Kubota then take at look at Kubota ZT, they are built plenty beefy and the commercial one's use Parker wheel motors which are about as good as you can get when it comes to hydros. You can get FI gas or diesel and real decent air filters that last. I run a Z781i, it goes thru deep grass well with no clumping and runs fast.

I also have a  Grasshopper, VG machines, it's just slow compared to the Kubota, other then that, extremely well designed and built.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve had a Scag 61” turf tiger for 12 years.
I tried out grasshopper, Dixie chopper,Exmark and Kubota in heavy Bahia, and the Scag cut the best.
No issues in 12 years.

I sold my 6’ finish mower, the Scag will cut twice as fast because of the maneuvering ability.

Expensive, but worth the price.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have mostly scag turf tigers at work. We have probably 100 acres of grass to keep up with. 72 in. decks on all of them. I've got a mix of kawasaki v twin 29hp, cat 28 hp diesel, and kubota 25hp diesel. The kubotas don't wow me, especially for the cost. I'd look for a turf tiger with the kawasaki efi 29hp and a 72 in. deck for what you're doing. Keep it greased and change the oil and you should get thousands of hours out of it. We had one with over 3000 hours that was still running until the stator failed. Burned some oil, but still ran well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Not trying to be a smartass, but to kinda reiterate what a few others have said, why on Earth would you want to finish mow double digit acreage?  So assuming that you've got your reasons, how smooth is the whole area?  I'm in better than average shape and my back hurts just thinking of mowing 10+ acres on a ZTM.  Back to the original topic, and again reiterating what a few other posters said above, my local mower mechanic says welded deck, Kaw engine and commercial pumps are more important than color.  I'd pay the extra money to get the smoothest ride possible (that's coming from a guy with a ZTM with a no frill seat that bounces me all over the place in my pretty smooth 1/2 acre yard).
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's no way I'd continually mow that much acreage. Bale it for hay, plant a crop, run livestock, or just let it grow and mow a couple times a year.
View Quote

This.  Mowing that much land is pants on head retarded.

Make that land produce something.  Spend money on livestock infrastructure and/or actual farm equipment, not mowing toys.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Make that land produce something.  Spend money on livestock infrastructure and/or actual farm equipment, not mowing toys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alfalfa. Good money in leasing the land out for that, get a couple cutting off it a year [depending where it's at] and let someone else cut, dry, and bale it. Make it pay for the taxes and have it taxed at ag land values, not residential values.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
To those suggesting livestock or crops, I get where you are coming from, but that's not what I or my folks want. We live in a nice secluded little valley, surrounded by 1000's of acres of woods and grasslands. I just like to have a few hundred yards around the house that looks nice, and doesn't have knee high grass concealing predators and pests.

I also don't think I was very clear. Right now, I'm keeping 6-7 acres cut, and I do that by mowing an acre or so around the house weekly with my lawn mower, then half of the rest each week with the finish mower. I usually try to get it when it's around 6 inches or so. My Dad does about the same with his adjacent property. He's slowing down enough, that he's hiring a neighbor to do his mowing. What I'm thinking about doing, is upgrading my equipment so I can take over his work, without it becoming a career.

If someone would like to post a few pictures for me, I can show you what I'm talking about. I think you'd agree that it's worth the effort!

I also found out that the Kubota dealer we got the tractor from, also sells Exmark mowers. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to talk to them, and see what they have to offer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I know you said commercial, but we have a John Deere Z540 with a 62” deck.  

It makes short work of our 5 acre yard.  It has a 23 hp Kawasaki engine and the machine has been almost flawless.  My one gripe is that I had to replace the park break sensor as it wasn’t picking up that the brake was engaged causing the engine not to start due to the nanny state safety requirements.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
For just a little prospective I have a 50” simplicity lawn tractor and an ex mark 60” zero turn. For 2.5 acres with lots of trees I can do it on the zero turn in about an hour and45 minutes. My father in law loves to mow but likes the simplicity.  Took him 4.5 hours last week.

You could likely do your 6 acres in 4 ish hours on a 60”. E mark is nice. Dads Dixie chopper is way nicer and heavier duty for sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know you said commercial, but we have a John Deere Z540 with a 62” deck.  

It makes short work of our 5 acre yard.  It has a 23 hp Kawasaki engine and the machine has been almost flawless.  My one gripe is that I had to replace the park break sensor as it wasn’t picking up that the brake was engaged causing the engine not to start due to the nanny state safety requirements.
View Quote

Heavy duty might have been a better term to use. It just seems like most manufacturers anymore have a dividing line between cheap, almost disposable consumer grade equipment, and heavy duty commercial units. I know plenty of people who have to replace their riding lawn mowers every few years, with just a few hundred hours on them. My 20 year old John Deere will hit 1000 hours this year, with nothing but oil changes, and a couple of belts!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I will be happy to post your photos.  How do you want to send them to me?

IM?  Or would you like an email?

@volstag

View Quote

Just sent you an IM, thank you for the offer!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FYI, Exmark has a new Diesel ZTR.  Twelve-foot cut.

Unless you have a lot of obstacles, it might be worth looking at.

View Quote

That makes the Hustler Super 104 look like a toy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#28]
So far, I've talked to three local dealers. One carries Toro, and Dixie Chopper. I thought the 4000 series Toro sounded good, but he said it would likely be next year! He called his Dixie rep, and no dice there either.

Tonight I stopped into the local farm co-op, which sells Scag. The fellow there gave me some fairly eye popping prices, but said he had no idea when he'd see anymore mowers. I then stopped by a dealer that sells Hustler. He had one commercial mower on the lot, a 60" Hyperdrive. He said the cash price was $15,800 +tax. He offered 1.99% financing for 48 months, with a  $600 fee. Nice mower, but I'm not overly impressed by that deal! I would make a counter offer, but I suspect he has the only commercial zero turn in the county!

I do see a 5 year old Wright commercial model for $5500 locally, and a  Toro 223-D about an hour away for $3000. Both have about 1300 hours on them. I don't really think either of them is what I'm looking for, but it might be a less expensive way for me to try out a zero turn.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swear I saw a Kubota 144" batwing when I looked the other day, but I can't find it now!

I think the whole power equipment industry is in a state of flux. When I looked up a Toro mower the other day, it said some dealers offer it at $13,799. Two day later, it was $14,399!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I swear I saw a Kubota 144" batwing when I looked the other day, but I can't find it now!

I think the whole power equipment industry is in a state of flux. When I looked up a Toro mower the other day, it said some dealers offer it at $13,799. Two day later, it was $14,399!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early spring sales, very common, after the early sales, the prices go back to normal. Kubota does the same thing, it's why I bought mine in April last year. [It's also up a grand this year for the same model]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Rear discharge Hustler.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So far, I've talked to three local dealers. One carries Toro, and Dixie Chopper. I thought the 4000 series Toro sounded good, but he said it would likely be next year! He called his Dixie rep, and no dice there either.

Tonight I stopped into the local farm co-op, which sells Scag. The fellow there gave me some fairly eye popping prices, but said he had no idea when he'd see anymore mowers. I then stopped by a dealer that sells Hustler. He had one commercial mower on the lot, a 60" Hyperdrive. He said the cash price was $15,800 +tax. He offered 1.99% financing for 48 months, with a  $600 fee. Nice mower, but I'm not overly impressed by that deal! I would make a counter offer, but I suspect he has the only commercial zero turn in the county!

I do see a 5 year old Wright commercial model for $5500 locally, and a  Toro 223-D about an hour away for $3000. Both have about 1300 hours on them. I don't really think either of them is what I'm looking for, but it might be a less expensive way for me to try out a zero turn.
View Quote

Have a Kubota dealer nearby? They have some nice models. However, not a fan of the ''homeowner'' models, they are pretty chintzy underneath compared to the commercial models. [FWIW, ALL homeowner models from all brands are little different and almost all use the same mix of parts] They ''look'' beefy on top but really look at them and the differences are very obvious.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a freaking scary looking machine.  I saw it at the GIE last fall. I don't think they had even released it yet (not sure of that).

OMG.  It's enormous.

View Quote

Not even sure how practical that is except for huge, wide open spaces.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a freaking scary looking machine.  I saw it at the GIE last fall. I don't think they had even released it yet (not sure of that).

OMG.  It's enormous.

Not even sure how practical that is except for huge, wide open spaces.

https://scontent.fluk1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/244649459_4646269328738674_6964495916161032100_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=forKcuYK4HcAX-3eunv&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=00_AT9YeFSBkbhdRJah4-omiUWXG1lHZUVLnAaBqfjz8266yA&oe=627A1116

I could have that thing seriously effed up in less than 3 minutes
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That seat. though...

That is available on any commercial exmark, and let me tell you...it is life changing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That seat. though...

That is available on any commercial exmark, and let me tell you...it is life changing.

Have the same on my Kubota, worth the upcharge.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I would keep my eye on the local auctions/CL for one of these and then take it to an independent small equipment mechanic for a top to bottom.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you for putting those pics up for me!

As you can see, it's a bit of work, but I think the results are worth the effort!
Incidentally, that clump of Sycamores in the middle of the field in the first picture, are  in a significant sink hole. Years ago, when we just bush hogged it a couple times a year, my Dad was going along on the tractor, and thought something looked odd. When  he got off the tractor and walked over, there was about a 20 foot hole on the ground, with water about 5 feet down. The entire thing had simply disappeared like it had been flushed down a drain. We had a guy with a dozer come in and dish it out into a large crater, just so nothing would fall in. The sycamores sprung up, and now surround a 6-8' hole that goes straight down about 35 feet. Depending on how wet it is, it's either full of water, or just a shaft. I dropped a sinker on a fishing line down to measure it, and we figure the bottom is probably a horizontal run.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#43]
What about cutting hay off the areas away from the house and mowing close to the house. Maybe find a local guy who wants to hay it. You could potentially make a buck or two even.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Big ass-hole in the ground like that, I would be afraid of the house dropping into a sink hole where the water flows underground.

I just sold my 52” Hustler and bought a 54” Bad Boy for my 1.5 acre yard. I didn’t buy a commercial model but it’s a nicely laid out mower and looks much stouter built than the Hustler mower.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Unfortunately, covering something that big with anything sturdy would be quite an undertaking. The trees provide enough barrier that it keeps them from charging or jumping in there blindly, and I'm trusting to there instincts to stay away from the hole.

There is another sink that started since I took that picture, which is about 150 yards to the right. It was just a deepening depression, and when I dug down into it with the backhoe, there were no voids in the 8-9' I could dig.

We also discovered that the old hand dug well in front of my Dads house has a good size hole in the lower left corner, that aims toward the other two sinks. We are pretty well convinced that there is an underground river that parallels the creek down in the front woods.  Not to worried about the houses, as they both sit part way up a hillside, and there are rock outcroppings every so often. Good old Karst Geology!

Staunton is the county seat, and as you can see, we have a history!

Big sinkhole!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#46]
On a slightly less terrifying note, I think I bought a mower today!

The day started out with a call to a local dealer that carries Exmark, Kubota, Ferris, and Gravely. The salesman listened patiently while I explained what I was looking for. He then informed me, that he didn't have a single commercial, zero turn at any of his stores, and had no idea when he would be getting any!

I then called the first dealer I had talked with, to see if he had found anything. He said he had located a Toro 7000 in North Carolina, but it was $15,800 as opposed to the $14,400 he had originally quoted for a 4000. It also had a 26 hp engine, which I thought was kind of small for a 72".

I then called the salesman from the place we got our Kubota from. He had an Exmark Lazer Z "X" model with the Kawasaki 1000cc engine and 72" deck. Unfortunately, it also had the Tractus optional wheels, which jacked the price up by almost $1000! I have no idea if they are a good idea or not, but since this seems to be the only mower in two counties that meets my criteria, I drove up to take a look.

Overall, I like the machine, with the exception of the seat. It has the suspension seat, with the rubber vibration mounting which is good. Unfortunately, the bolsters, or whatever you call the sides of a bucket seat weren't that comfortable to me. Under normal circumstances, I'd go try a few other machines to see how they felt, but for the foreseeable future, that's not an option. We haggled a bit, and he agreed to knock $600 off the $16,599 asking price, and they have a 42 month 0% financing plan.

He's bringing it down to my place next week on my day off so I can try it. If I'm satisfied, he'll leave it, and we have a deal. If not, he'll take it back, and tear up the paperwork. Hopefully the seat will break in and be comfortable. Worst case, I add a cushion to the center part to get it perfect.

He was shocked that I didn't like the seat, as apparently it's about $800! I think he said it was made by Wallace?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Love my dad's Ferris with full suspension, fabricated deck, etc. But you might be looking at even bigger than what they offer for that much grass. Although he can drive very fast with that suspension and a 60" deck gets the farmyard done surprisingly quick for the size of it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Love my dad's Ferris with full suspension, fabricated deck, etc. But you might be looking at even bigger than what they offer for that much grass. Although he can drive very fast with that suspension and a 60" deck gets the farmyard done surprisingly quick for the size of it.
View Quote

I have two friends with Ferris mowers (one of which uses it to mow pastures on his 60 acre ranch). Looks like the batmobile and goes like one too!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:mowing that much with a zero turn. make sure you get one with some kind of suspension seating.
View Quote

Like brahm said, you need a good suspension seat.  I would look for something over 30hp with a Kawasaki motor, 72"+ cut and a good suspension seat.  You've got a lot of area to cover, so a true commercial from any of the major brands should work well.

I'm pretty happy with my Spartan prosumer level mower, but I regularly only mow an acre.  For 12+ acres it's time to step up and get something faster and more comfortable.  Probably $12k would get you a Spartan with the above specs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top