Originally Posted By lamancha:
Heading there today-Friday Jan 21
View Quote

What were your thoughts? Buy anything?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:

Checking out new rigs? Vendor? The number of people here for the show is unreal. At the end of the day I’m beat.
View Quote

A little of both. I’m full time in a 2014 travel trailer now so I’m always looking for the next one. Also been spending time in the RV Life booth talking to people. This morning I going to take a serious look at 5th wheel.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still waiting and looking for a used unit.  What are your thoughts on toy haulers?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
So I've had an 2003 Coleman Utah for a couple of years and we're looking at upsizing.

one big thing is we have 3 teen boys. So we're looking at bunks and perhaps a fold-out sofa. We're not planning on hitting many campgrounds. This will be desert and forest looking for flat spots so we can hunt.  

I have a 2021 GMC 1500 AT4 with the 6.2.  

Two trailers I've looked at are the Winnebago 2801BHS and the Grand Design XLS 23BHE.

Any suggestions on quality of these brands or others to look at?

Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
I'm still waiting and looking for a used unit.  What are your thoughts on toy haulers?
View Quote

For their intended usage, they make a lot of sense. If you’re looking to use the garage as a sleeping area be aware that it’s usually not nearly as well insulated back there as the rest of the rig.

If you don’t have a truck yet, wait until you decide on the size and type of rig before purchasing one. If you already have a tow rig make sure you know exactly what it’s capable of before searching. Any particular style or brand you’re looking for?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JLH3:
So I've had an 2003 Coleman Utah for a couple of years and we're looking at upsizing.

one big thing is we have 3 teen boys. So we're looking at bunks and perhaps a fold-out sofa. We're not planning on hitting many campgrounds. This will be desert and forest looking for flat spots so we can hunt.  

Two trailers I've looked at are the Winnebago 2801BHS and the Grand Design XLS 23BHE.

View Quote

I’ve sold both of those brands over the years. They’re both well made rigs, but I’d give the slight nod to Winnebago for quality of construction. For what you’re describing, the Forest River Ibex offers tons of amenities (true four season, all outlets are connected to the inverter from the factory, pvc roof, Azdel substrate, higher ground clearance, the list goes on).
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLH3] [#7]

I've sold both of those brands over the years. They're both well made rigs, but I'd give the slight nod to Winnebago for quality of construction. For what you're describing, the Forest River Ibex offers tons of amenities (true four season, all outlets are connected to the inverter from the factory, pvc roof, Azdel substrate, higher ground clearance, the list goes on).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've sold both of those brands over the years. They're both well made rigs, but I'd give the slight nod to Winnebago for quality of construction. For what you're describing, the Forest River Ibex offers tons of amenities (true four season, all outlets are connected to the inverter from the factory, pvc roof, Azdel substrate, higher ground clearance, the list goes on).

Gracias

Another question. My truck says it'll haul up to 9200lbs. Something like that 2801 says its GVW IS 8800. Is 400lbs too close when you start adding hauling all our crap, plus 3 teen boys in the truck etc?  If my truck will pull 9200, is there a weight I should stay under?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Gracias

Another question. My truck says it'll haul up to 9200lbs. Something like that 2801 says its GVW IS 8800. Is 400lbs too close when you start adding hauling all our crap, plus 3 teen boys in the truck etc?  If my truck will pull 9200, is there a weight I should stay under?
View All Quotes

Gracias

There’s a few questions that need to be answered in order to determine all of that: What’s the dry weight of the 2801? Tongue weight? What’s your truck’s payload capacity?

Once we have that info the picture becomes much clearer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Any idea when the industry is going to go back to darker colored interiors? We are in the market for a toy hauler (cedar creek 385th, momentum 376ths) but most of the new units are either white, or light colored interiors.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#10]

There's a few questions that need to be answered in order to determine all of that: What's the dry weight of the 2801? Tongue weight? What's your truck's payload capacity?

View All Quotes

Gracias

There's a few questions that need to be answered in order to determine all of that: What's the dry weight of the 2801? Tongue weight? What's your truck's payload capacity?

Payload is 1500

Dry weight is 6510
Tongue weight is 820

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By K80TRAP:
Any idea when the industry is going to go back to darker colored interiors? We are in the market for a toy hauler (cedar creek 385th, momentum 376ths) but most of the new units are either white, or light colored interiors.
View Quote

Your guess is as good as mine, it all depends on what customers ask for. Right now the majority of people want lighter colors as a pushback to the darker colors that dominated for years, so when that pendulum swings the other way we’ll see lighter colors again. You may be able to get darker colored seating in the momentum, but I’m not sure how dark you’re wanting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Payload is 1500

Dry weight is 6510
Tongue weight is 820

View All Quotes

Gracias

Payload is 1500

Dry weight is 6510
Tongue weight is 820

My concern here is that once you, your teenagers, and anything you carry with you is added to the truck you’ve basically exhausted all payload capacity and have no room for trailer tongue weight. Assuming an unloaded trailer with only one battery, full propane tanks, and the weight distribution hitch you’re now at 900+ of tongue weight on the truck, leaving at best 600 pounds of weight that you can put in the truck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]

For their intended usage, they make a lot of sense. If you’re looking to use the garage as a sleeping area be aware that it’s usually not nearly as well insulated back there as the rest of the rig.

If you don’t have a truck yet, wait until you decide on the size and type of rig before purchasing one. If you already have a tow rig make sure you know exactly what it’s capable of before searching. Any particular style or brand you’re looking for?
View All Quotes

Not really set it on any style or brand.  I am looking for something that I can use at my hunting lease as well as family adventure (family of 5, oldest is 8).  It would just be a bonus if we could take atvs and dirt bikes along.  

I don't really want to mess with 5th wheel.  I have been shying away from popouts thinking it's one more thing to be an issue on a used unit.  But open to it since sooo many units I have looked at have them.

I kinda figured a toyhauler might be better built because of the increases payload.

I do have a tow rig, it's a 21 F250 with the 7.3.  So trailer options are pretty wide for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]

My concern here is that once you, your teenagers, and anything you carry with you is added to the truck you've basically exhausted all payload capacity and have no room for trailer tongue weight. Assuming an unloaded trailer with only one battery, full propane tanks, and the weight distribution hitch you're now at 900+ of tongue weight on the truck, leaving at best 600 pounds of weight that you can put in the truck.
View All Quotes

Gracias

Payload is 1500

Dry weight is 6510
Tongue weight is 820

My concern here is that once you, your teenagers, and anything you carry with you is added to the truck you've basically exhausted all payload capacity and have no room for trailer tongue weight. Assuming an unloaded trailer with only one battery, full propane tanks, and the weight distribution hitch you're now at 900+ of tongue weight on the truck, leaving at best 600 pounds of weight that you can put in the truck.

Thats kind of what I was starting to figure out. It appears I'd be better off with something in the 650lb range. Especially with the amount of crap we take.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Thats kind of what I was starting to figure out. It appears I'd be better off with something in the 650lb range. Especially with the amount of crap we take.
View Quote

Much better to figure that out now than after you’ve bought something you can’t tow according to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Not really set it on any style or brand.  I am looking for something that I can use at my hunting lease as well as family adventure (family of 5, oldest is 8).  It would just be a bonus if we could take atvs and dirt bikes along.  

I don't really want to mess with 5th wheel.  I have been shying away from popouts thinking it's one more thing to be an issue on a used unit.  But open to it since sooo many units I have looked at have them.

I kinda figured a toyhauler might be better built because of the increases payload.

I do have a tow rig, it's a 21 F250 with the 7.3.  So trailer options are pretty wide for me.
View Quote

Are slideouts a feature that does have the potential to cause repair hassle down the road? Yes. Does the added space make up for that potential headache? That’s your call. And you’re right, 90% plus are going to have them.

The frame will be more robust and heavier per square foot, but the finishes and workmanship will be similar to a non hauler model.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClanDireWolf] [#17]
How about something that my Dodge 2010 Grand Caravan can pull?

Figure 700# in the Dodge and it can pull 3800#.

Something a 57yr old 6" tall guy with heart problems can move around in and sleep, hopefully a toilet but not a deal killer.

Old and used doesn't bother me either.

Probably more park and not travel very much.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ClanDireWolf:
How about something that my Dodge 2010 Grand Caravan can pull?

Figure 700# in the Dodge and it can pull 3800#.

Something a 57yr old 6" tall guy with heart problems can move around in and sleep, hopefully a toilet but not a deal killer.

Old and used doesn't bother me either.

Probably more park and not travel very much.

Thanks!

View Quote

Depending on how much cushion you want to give yourself between your tow capacity and the weight of the camper there should be some pretty decent single axle options. Did you have an idea on budget?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the market for Class A’s softer now they gas prices are nuts?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By esa17:
Is the market for Class A’s softer now they gas prices are nuts?
View Quote

On your entry level gas As there has been some softening. People who are in that market are more likely to sour at the idea of paying an extra $100 per tank. As you get to the higher end products ($300k and up) we haven’t seen any difference. These customers aren’t bothered by fuel fluctuations. If prices stay high this summer I have a feeling we’ll see class Cs take a hit since those customers are traditionally very budget conscious. The pre owned market for all motors is still extremely strong right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Depending on how much cushion you want to give yourself between your tow capacity and the weight of the camper there should be some pretty decent single axle options. Did you have an idea on budget?
View Quote

Under 10K, hopefully.

I was looking at a DIY with a cargo trailer but I've seen a lot that are just junk with them making them as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]

On your entry level gas As there has been some softening. People who are in that market are more likely to sour at the idea of paying an extra $100 per tank. As you get to the higher end products ($300k and up) we haven’t seen any difference. These customers aren’t bothered by fuel fluctuations. If prices stay high this summer I have a feeling we’ll see class Cs take a hit since those customers are traditionally very budget conscious. The pre owned market for all motors is still extremely strong right now.
View Quote

Glad to hear it. I’m about to trade up I think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ClanDireWolf:

Under 10K, hopefully.

I was looking at a DIY with a cargo trailer but I've seen a lot that are just junk with them making them as fast as they can.
View Quote

With a little looking I’d say you should be able to find something out there that’s in pretty decent shape. Just about any single axle should be under that weight. I’d stick to private sellers, you’re much more likely to find what you want with that market than you are with a dealer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Glad to hear it. I’m about to trade up I think.
View Quote

What do you have now? What are you contemplating trading up to?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 35’ Fleetwood that I’d like to upgrade to a larger / newer model. We bought the one we have now over the summer for a cross country move and love it…but want something slightly larger.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Going looking soon.  Looking to finance about 35k.  My score is in the low 8’s, my wife is in the high 7’s.  
My friend just bought a TT at a different location.  He said he got a 3.9%.  
Should we expect to get the same rate? Is it differ from site to site?
Looking at a jayco white hawk 29bh.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 35’ Fleetwood that I’d like to upgrade to a larger / newer model. We bought the one we have now over the summer for a cross country move and love it…but want something slightly larger.
View Quote

What size are you moving up to? Diesel?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Ed51:
Going looking soon.  Looking to finance about 35k.  My score is in the low 8’s, my wife is in the high 7’s.  
My friend just bought a TT at a different location.  He said he got a 3.9%.  
Should we expect to get the same rate? Is it differ from site to site?
Looking at a jayco white hawk 29bh.
View Quote

Depends on a few factors. Are you putting a significant amount down (20-25% minimum) or just the least you can. New or used? I know rates have been trending upwards in the last few weeks, so that comes into play as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#30]

What size are you moving up to? Diesel?
View Quote

Large enough to have an aft lav or a washer unit, but not above 42’ since a lot of the places we stay have that as a limitation.

I’m fine with a gasser but would like the extra torque of a diesel. But, it seems like adding that diesel motor adds $50k to the price. We don’t really tow so it’s not a huge difference to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump!

Now that the “official” start of camping season is just days away, any new questions?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe more of a service question, but maybe you can help.

I'm waiting to take delivery of a 2018 forest river hemisphere bunkhouse and I'm curious if there are wiring and plumbing schematics available for these things.

I tried to buy new-ish but old enough that any factory warranty stuff would have been taken care of because we're going to be spending a lot of time in it.

I'm going to be doing as much of the maintenance and repairs as possible so it'll be nice to have as much information as possible.

Also, what are some upgrades that an RV noob should know about?  As it sits right now, I have parts coming to swap the two 12v group 24 batteries for two 6v gc2 batteries to increase the reserve capacity.  The other things that I'm pretty much immediately looking at upgrading are vent fans(especially the one in the bathroom), the barbeque that mounts on the bumper (the one that's on there is pretty ratty and looks like it wasn't great to begin with), and adding a bike rack to hold 4 bikes to the bumper (there's a warning sticker on the back about adding stuff to the bumper, so I need to do some research on that).

Any thoughts on LP on demand water heaters to replace the tiny tank style?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Maybe more of a service question, but maybe you can help.

I'm waiting to take delivery of a 2018 forest river hemisphere bunkhouse and I'm curious if there are wiring and plumbing schematics available for these things.

I tried to buy new-ish but old enough that any factory warranty stuff would have been taken care of because we're going to be spending a lot of time in it.

I'm going to be doing as much of the maintenance and repairs as possible so it'll be nice to have as much information as possible.

Also, what are some upgrades that an RV noob should know about?  As it sits right now, I have parts coming to swap the two 12v group 24 batteries for two 6v gc2 batteries to increase the reserve capacity.  The other things that I'm pretty much immediately looking at upgrading are vent fans(especially the one in the bathroom), the barbeque that mounts on the bumper (the one that's on there is pretty ratty and looks like it wasn't great to begin with), and adding a bike rack to hold 4 bikes to the bumper (there's a warning sticker on the back about adding stuff to the bumper, so I need to do some research on that).

Any thoughts on LP on demand water heaters to replace the tiny tank style?

Thanks!
View Quote

You could check with the manufacturer, but I’d say at best it’s a 50/50 shot of them having and providing them to you.

As for the upgrades, you’re on the right track to start with. Most of my customers wait until they use it a season before doing much more than what you’re describing. You may be able to add a received hitch to the frame to hold the bikes, those bumpers are very thin walled and not up to much more than the little grill that comes with some.

As for the on demand water heater, Truma is what most Motorhomes use these days and they have developed a great reputation. There are others out there, but I haven’t gotten a ton of feedback yet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the look and layout of the GeoPro tow behinds.   19FSD ( I think that's the specific 19' model)
What do you think of their line?

I don't need something too long/heavy.  But something I can hopefully pull around the country for a few weeks every year IF I get to retire soon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I like the look and layout of the GeoPro tow behinds.   19FSD ( I think that's the specific 19' model)
What do you think of their line?

I don't need something too long/heavy.  But something I can hopefully pull around the country for a few weeks every year IF I get to retire soon.
View Quote

I’m a bit out of touch with some of the towable offerings ever since my company made me a Motorhome only specialist, but from what I know the Geo Pros are excellent. If you like those, you may also want to look at the Winnebago lineup as well as the Forest River Ibex and R-Pod. All are four season and tend to be geared toward the smaller/off grid segment of the market.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#36]

I’m a bit out of touch with some of the towable offerings ever since my company made me a Motorhome only specialist, but from what I know the Geo Pros are excellent. If you like those, you may also want to look at the Winnebago lineup as well as the Forest River Ibex and R-Pod. All are four season and tend to be geared toward the smaller/off grid segment of the market.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  Well even if you are not the towable guy, it’s a good sign that you think well of their product
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone in the RV industry actually own and use an RV?

I picked up my first trailer today and throughout the process, two salesmen, a finance lady and an RV tech all didn't own or use RVs. I'm guessing there's a reason. Lol
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#38]

I picked up my first trailer today and throughout the process, two salesmen, a finance lady and an RV tech all didn't own or use RVs. I'm guessing there's a reason. Lol
View Quote

I know quite a few of us have either owned or used them. Off hand I believe three of our sales guys own their own Motorhomes and most of us have borrowed them at some point over the years. Most dealers, mine included, will let employees take something from used inventory for a weekend here and there. My wife’s father has been in the business for 30+ years so she grew up hearing about these things all the time and has no interest in being around them any more ha.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Thanks for the reply.  Well even if you are not the towable guy, it’s a good sign that you think well of their product
View Quote

I’ve spent the majority of my career doing both towable and Motorhome, and still try to stay up on towable products and changes. We carry so many lines that there’s no way to be an expert on everything we carry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#40]
@GTOMike

My apologies if this has been asked/answered-What is your experience and opinion of Helio travel trailers
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Next question:

I’m now shopping for another Class A since u sold mine. A camping world salesman called me and told me they would entertain an offer that was 50k below MSRP on a brand new unit. Is that some sort of bait and switch scam?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Next question:

I’m now shopping for another Class A since u sold mine. A camping world salesman called me and told me they would entertain an offer that was 50k below MSRP on a brand new unit. Is that some sort of bait and switch scam?
View Quote

In short, probably not. There will most likely be some fees that he’s not telling you about up front, but that’s it. In fact, depending on the make and model $50k may be not much at all. What is it? You can send me a message with more info if you’d like.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SMC527:
@GTOMike

My apologies if this has been asked/answered-What is your experience and opinion of Helio travel trailers
View Quote

Can’t believe I missed this!  I’ve only seen a couple of YouTube videos on these and can say they look really cool. I know it doesn’t help much, but that’s what I’ve got ha.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I was just talking to my brother about these damn things.

Have you ever seen photos of these after accidents? Its a bunch of sticks and rubbage after almost any kind of accident.

I think a bus conversion would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By truedef:

Have you ever seen photos of these after accidents? Its a bunch of sticks and rubbage after almost any kind of accident.

View Quote

I have seen plenty of pictures and seen the aftermath. The fact of the matter is that there are no crash tests for these, and if that we’re to be implemented no one would be able to build or afford one. I don’t love it, but it’s the way of the industry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Buy a Marathon Coach. And bring 1.5-3M for a new one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Service manager at our dealer just borrows used ones from the lot.  He's been in the industry for 20+ years.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
Especially the trailers.  Even if it's legal to ride in one, it's a death trap.  You don't get "ultra light" without "ultra desplodeable".
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I have the opportunity to get into a 1997 Tiffin Aleggro 33' for right at $10k. The unit only has 33,000 or so miles on it. 454 Chevy Chassis. Unit looks really good on the outside with just some damage to the back two plastic corner caps. The inside is in good shape. Comes with a 7k watt generator.

Overall it looks like a solid MH. Air bags at all four corners, leveling jacks, two AC unit... seems like the options are endless.

I have no experience with MHs though. I just bought a little 22' aluminlite that I was just getting ready for us. I almost see this as a "too good to miss" opportunity. The guy selling it is a friend of a friend that bought it before covid and has not used it. We live in a small town area and I seem to think the best of everyone... He is older and ended up having some medical procedures etc that have changed his and his wife's plans. It doesn't even sound like they have ever taken it out anywhere.

Is this "too good to miss"? Value wise I am sure it is a great deal, right?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#50]
1) Do you think we’re headed for an economic crash that will cause supply to far outstrip demand?

2) I always get a dealership to look over an automobile before I buy it…does this exist in the RV industry?

I need to upgrade my Tundra to an F-350 first but would eventually like to buy my first RV, a 5th wheel. I heard that 2021 was the biggest year for rv sales so I’m wondering if a crash will cause a flip…and luxury items become unnecessary toys.

I’m also worried about the quality control of these things. I can fix minor things around the house, but I’m not an electrician or carpenter.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top