Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2020 10:07:52 AM EDT
This is going to a long one for the TLDR crowd.

Just got back from Americus after hunting on the 27th/28th. I booked with Max of Pig Problem Inc.  https://www.pigproblem.com/  @ruffhowzer I believe gave me the recommendation for Max last year. He’s since opened his own outfit, and is also a member on the site. For anyone that hasn’t looked into the hunts, they are fully guided, unlimited pigs and all equipment is provided. The hunt started out with Max picking me up and taking me to an outdoor range. He re-familiarized me with the gun and tripod, and set a thermal target up for me to zero with. On a side note, the targets are very nice if you run a thermal. I have the guide size at my house and have hundreds of rounds though it with no issues https://shoot-n-glow.com/. I took about 7 shots to get it exactly where I wanted it, but this whole process isn’t rushed and I could have easily sent more rounds if I wasn’t comfortable yet. The gun I used was an AR chambered in 7.62x39 with a thermion XP-50 and suppressor . If you don’t know much about thermals, that’s a $5000 scope. It’s in the higher end thermal category and cuts through the humidity without losing a ton of detail unlike some of the cheaper option other guide I’ve researched use.

We packed up then headed back into town for some dinner at the station restaurant which was very good. After I stuffed my face, we made our way to the first field. Max set up a thermal on a pan tilt roof mount system paired with an HD TV for me to pan with. I hunt coyotes typically and scan with my gun at home, so this was a real treat to not be hunched over all night. Attachment Attached File
. The first field showed a few deer, but he spotted a coyote near the back corner of the field. We stalked out and got within 150 yards of the yapping dog. 5 shots later he wasn’t dead, and I don’t have anyone to blame for my horrible shooting. After that we drove multiple fields the rest of the night. The weather conditions were horrible and the pigs just weren’t moving. Near the end of the night he did manage to spot a big fatty. We stalked up, and got to under 100 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

One shot to neck dropped him right where he stood. Max took me around to a few more fields to make sure we didn’t see anymore. I was especially impressed by this as I had already got a kill for the night and he could have easily ended the hunt there.

The second night was a similar setup. Went to the range where he let me shoot his suppressed .22. That was a real confidence booster and I think I’m on a sniper lever now. We hit the fields right after dinner, but with the hurricane coming through the weather was again less than favorable. We did see pigs near the end of the night, but they were moving too fast to get setup on them. I feel that Max went through more effort than the average guide would have to get me on pigs. That’s hunting though, sometimes you get to mow down a whole sounder, other times you strike out. Overall it was another great trip. I’ll be returning back in a few months for another couple nights.  

Just as an FYI I have no affiliation. I’ve researched dozens of outfits, but there always seemed to be a catch. Ammo fees, handling fees, butchering fees, time limits, group size minimums or crappy equipment. There is none of that with pig problem and that’s why I’ve been very happy with both trips.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Good write up. Sounds like a great time even though the weather was bad, but ya can't control mother nature. I talked to Max earlier this summer & hoped go down sometime in November but it doesn't look like it's gonna work out this year. Hope to hear you have better weather next go around.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good write up. Sounds like a great time even though the weather was bad, but ya can't control mother nature. I talked to Max earlier this summer & hoped go down sometime in November but it doesn't look like it's gonna work out this year. Hope to hear you have better weather next go around.
View Quote

Definitely a great time for sure. Probably shooting for January/February. Hopefully it’ll just be cold and I can avoid the rain
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you had a great time... glad you're satisfied with the hunts.

The Pulsar Trails are notorious for not holding zero, that's why a friend and I both ditched ours and we went with the Trijicon Hunter MK III. The Thermions have been reported to have some issues here and there, but they are so close to being perfect.

Look forward to another post-hunt review.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you had a great time... glad you're satisfied with the hunts.

The Pulsar Trails are notorious for not holding zero, that's why a friend and I both ditched ours and we went with the Trijicon Hunter MK III. The Thermions have been reported to have some issues here and there, but they are so close to being perfect.

Look forward to another post-hunt review.
View Quote

I have a thermion xp50 on my personal gun and would probably have used it but I’m not suppressed yet. I haven’t had a single issue in the 5 months I’ve had it but I’m only out once a week and probably only shooting half those times. I hear they for the zero shift issue pretty well squared away, the trail 2 looks pretty slick
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the Kind words Mike,  I am the owner of the said outfit without plugging my business.  I have been grateful in all the customers I have had over the years.  I hope to take my business to the next level with customer service, hard work, and value.  I sell my optics every year so I can keep my equipment relevant and fresh.  I supply all equipment so I know what it takes to have quality equipment that works plus I like killing pigs myself.  We offer veterans, LEO, and first responder discounts as well as if your bring your own rifle/ammo.  I will outfit you with optic.  I am going to try to film every customers hunts as long as the video is clear and the shooting is good I will post it online and send you a video link.  

Mike I should have your video finished in the next day or so.  I have been busy killing pigs in town with my TacSol AR22LT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top