BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2021 5:23:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like you put out quality posts more than pretty much anyone else here.

Cool story (seriously)...I enjoy reading them.

I wish I could say I've played with one. When I was a kid I wanted to operate heavy equipment (like a lot of 5 year olds) but wound up going into finance instead. They don't let bean counters operate machinery.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
roll me another one, just like the one you rolled before

glad to hear you had your wits about you and minimized the damage
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you made it unscathed.

I had this thing unintentionally on 2 wheels a few days ago. Pucker factor was a 10, and I was buckled in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes seat belts are a very good idea.  I learned that the hard way when I picked up an 800 lb round bale with a single front spear attachment.  The skid steer rear wheels reached for the sky and I went flying out the front.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I only tipped one, spreading gravel on a downhill slope, bucket high enough to see clearly what I was doing, and went over forwards. I used the bucket to catch myself and tip back upright, thank goodness!
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a bad habit of not wearing the seat belt on my mini excavator. I really need to work on changing that. Turning it over without the seat belt on could be really bad as it has an open cab.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a few of them about end up on top of me when I was a teenager holding posts while an operator hammered.  Pucker inducing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Spooky, I've not rolled any equipment but been VERY close a few times. Scary stuff, glad you're ok!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm fine. Might get a little bruise on my elbow.

But not sure why it tipped, as the ground is fairly level that way. I've been working in debris in that area, could have blown a tire, which will cause that machine to tip very easily.

I've got 20 years running skid steers, so this can happen to anyone. Wear that seat belt and wear it properly!!!!

I felt it wanting to go, tried to correct, but I knew I lost it and braced for impact.

Killed the engine as soon as it dropped, that should be fine. It's losing hydraulic fluid from the reservoir, can be refilled.

My brother is trailering up the big bobcat at the farm, coming to save my ass. No way to get a pickup down where it's at, so I owe him (another) favor for coming out.

Safety first kids!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG0638_JPG-1993510.jpg
View Quote

Yeah That's why seat belts are important. Done that with a New Hollond while loading a truck and the back tire popped off the rim. Turned it back up right topped off the fluids including the battery and she fired back up. We had to wait for a new tire it sliced the side wall with the the rim from the inside.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Rolling is always forefront in my mind on the tractor.

So much so that 6" spacers were in order.

I'd rather replace a bearing or rebuild an axle than risk a rollover on our hills.

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad your ok OP!  Rolling over is one of my biggest fears using my tractor on my property with it's hills.  I believe it's the number one killer in tractor work.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both cylinders were filled with engine oil.

I pulled the plugs, sucked out the oil. Fired it up, let it smoke for a bit, cleared out and ran fine.

The hydraulic oil was not even on the stick, filled that up.

Going to change engine oil, just in case gas got mixed in, it was almost due anyway.

Other than the machine covered in oil, no issues that I've found yet driving it back up top. She will get serviced and put back to work.
View Quote

Don’t forget to self report that oil spill!

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m glad you posted this.  I recently bought a 2025R for our new place and I think I’m going to install spacers.  We have sloped property and I just think it’s not worth the risk.

I felt like I was close to rolling it today.  I had my seat belt on, but the ROPS folded due to my garage.

I’ll be changing that from now on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I damn near rolled a mini skid a few days ago. It slid in the mud to the edge of a ditch and was teetering on two wheels. I sat for a few seconds trying to decide if it was safe to bail out.
Finally jumped out without issue. Used the 4Runner to recover it.

A short time later, I tipped over frontwards onto the bucket for a brief moment. It was time to call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
In the spirit of this thread, today I caught the ROPS of my zero turn on a low branch at the crest of a small hill.  Scared myself, but was still grateful I had my seatbelt and ROPS up in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Rolled my tractor while brush hogging a few years ago.  Into a tree that came across the steering column - another 10 inches it would have crushed me in the seat.  Seatbelt on.  Still wear the belt of course, but rolling into trees is my worst nightmare (and was before it happened).  Rollovers happen faster than you can say “holy shit”.  My neighbor and friend doesn’t wear a belt AND doesn’t keep the ROPS up - insists he can jump clear.  Not happening…..
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#23]
My neighbor had an old Kubota tractor with no ROPS (gray market, dunno).  He lives on a hill just like me.

One day he was on his hill and rolled his tractor - while his young son (<5 years old) was in his lap.  He was able "throw him out" and the kid was unhurt.

Fast forward a year or so, now he has a new Kubota L3301.  He leaves the roll bar down so it can fit in the way too short shop overhang/leanto he had built.  And the last time I saw him use it was with his bushhog - with his son in his lap.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m glad you’re ok. Skid steer tip overs can be pretty bad. I’d never run one next to a body of water without a pretty clear egress plan and someone with an excavator nearby that could tip me off of my lid. Might not even do it then.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Another tale of caution.

A neighbor loaned his skidloader to a cattle jockey to clean out a manure pack in a loafing shed. He was using a manure bucket with a grapple and dumping over a short concrete wall.  He was in the process of dumping and the loader tipped forward. He reactively grabbed the front of the loader with both hands to brace himself. Unfortunately the top of the wall aligned with the front edge of the loader and crushed all his fingers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I am all for safety where applicable, although I am guilty of defeating the seat switch on my tractor. But... I am, and will continue to be a staunch proponent of not having a ROPS on a zero turn. IMO, they have zero place on a zero turn, and actually do more harm than good. Just recently, our local VFD responded to a severe injury incident involving a zero turn with a ROPS that had hooked on a tree and thrown the operator off. That guy will never be the same after that.

Tractors and the like? Yep. Seatbelts and ROPS up. But on a zero turn, where 70% of the weight is behind you, and the pivot point for a ROPS is also behind you, that is a hard no for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am all for safety where applicable, although I am guilty of defeating the seat switch on my tractor. But... I am, and will continue to be a staunch proponent of not having a ROPS on a zero turn. IMO, they have zero place on a zero turn, and actually do more harm than good. Just recently, our local VFD responded to a severe injury incident involving a zero turn with a ROPS that had hooked on a tree and thrown the operator off. That guy will never be the same after that.

Tractors and the like? Yep. Seatbelts and ROPS up. But on a zero turn, where 70% of the weight is behind you, and the pivot point for a ROPS is also behind you, that is a hard no for me.
View Quote

I live and mow on a hill.  Having a ROPS is a hard "Yes" for me.  Plus, it holds up the surplus golf cart canopy.  

Pretty steep:

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have mine down now for this very reason.  Caught a tree limb and it damn near flipped me up and backwards.  I had the front two rollers off the ground probably 2 feet.  Luckily i instinctively threw it into reverse quick enough to not flip backwards.  Scared the crap out of me and it happened so quickly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Do these make my rear look too big?  

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My neighbor had an old Kubota tractor with no ROPS (gray market, dunno).  He lives on a hill just like me.

One day he was on his hill and rolled his tractor - while his young son (<5 years old) was in his lap.  He was able "throw him out" and the kid was unhurt.

Fast forward a year or so, now he has a new Kubota L3301.  He leaves the roll bar down so it can fit in the way too short shop overhang/leanto he had built.  And the last time I saw him use it was with his bushhog - with his son in his lap.  
View Quote

In one decade in law enforcement, I’ve been privy to the aftermath of toddlers on brush hog ride alongs twice.  

Always a fatality.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#37]
soo after putting down  deposit on b2601 im now reading all these rollover stories. How easy is it to roll these things over?  most i read are on hills but i don't think i have a hill more of incline?  But also mow with the hill so im not too concerned
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
soo after putting down  deposit on b2601 im now reading all these rollover stories. How easy is it to roll these things over?  most i read are on hills but i don't think i have a hill more of incline?  But also mow with the hill so im not too concerned
View Quote

Go slow and give your built-in butt inclinometer some time to calibrate and it will keep you out of most trouble - or you'll at least know when you're creeping into the trouble zone.

The exception is if you are stupid with your FEL or speed... get cocky with either and they can dump you in a hurry with no notice.  Never have your FEL higher than you absolutely need and always be mindful of your speed.  

ROPS up at all times.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, don't stick your arm out the side when it tips.  Then you just get a broken/torn off arm.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I do hope that is not experience speaking?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, don't stick your arm out the side when it tips.  Then you just get a broken/torn off arm.

I do hope that is not experience speaking?  

Nope!  But it's super common in side-by-sides.  When the machine rolls, even though people are harnessed in, they instinctively stick their arms out to break their fall, and they get a broken arm if it's low-speed, or if it's high-speed, the movement pulls their arm back under the vertical post of the roll bar, and tears their arm to shreds as the machine slides.  I know one girl who was in a side-by-side that rolled, and had netting over the window to prevent that.  She still stuck her hand against the netting, and had some significant injury to her fingers.  That instinct is hard to overcome.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nope!  But it's super common in side-by-sides.  When the machine rolls, even though people are harnessed in, they instinctively stick their arms out to break their fall, and they get a broken arm if it's low-speed, or if it's high-speed, the movement pulls their arm back under the vertical post of the roll bar, and tears their arm to shreds as the machine slides.  I know one girl who was in a side-by-side that rolled, and had netting over the window to prevent that.  She still stuck her hand against the netting, and had some significant injury to her fingers.  That instinct is hard to overcome.
View Quote
Common in racecars too, speaking from experience both mine and others. I had a double net for this reason actually. Inside met was to keep me in, outside net was to keep everything else out.

My internal programming has been revised enough that in those instances, hands off wheel, feet off pedals. Seems to have worked out so far.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Go slow and give your built-in butt inclinometer some time to calibrate and it will keep you out of most trouble - or you'll at least know when you're creeping into the trouble zone.

The exception is if you are stupid with your FEL or speed... get cocky with either and they can dump you in a hurry with no notice.  Never have your FEL higher than you absolutely need and always be mindful of your speed.  

ROPS up at all times.
View Quote

Don't forget to buckle the seatbelt
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That instinct is indeed hard to overcome. I was working under a car once when it started to roll off the ramps. The first thing I did was to put my hands up to stop it. Fortunately my brain kicked in and I flattened out and only got some scrapes and bruises instead of two broken arms.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#45]
People in a rush, not paying attention and excusing risk get hurt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#48]
To the guy who bought the kubota b2601 I would check with your dealer, my dealer won't put on a front loader without rim guard in the rear tires.
I just bought a b2301 with a loader and I went to move some dirt and I didn't have any counter weight on the rear.
I hit a bump going slow and the tractor rear tires were two feet off the ground. I had my seat belt on and ROPS up but I was quick enough to drop the bucket right away.
I called my dealer and he said that they don't put rear ballast in the b series unless you ask for it.
His answer was that a lot of people buy the b series to mow and do light work. He recommended putting the grader box on for ballast.
It is in the shop getting beat juice right now. The grader box helps but I don't have a perfect lawn so its ballast for me. The b series are very light.
Be safe and always remember the rules, roll bar up seat belt on, roll bar down, no seat belt.
I have 5 kubotas from a bx2670 to an m4900 with backhoes on my l3301 and m4900. I like the b but it is very light.
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
To the guy who bought the kubota b2601 I would check with your dealer, my dealer won't put on a front loader without rim guard in the rear tires.
I just bought a b2301 with a loader and I went to move some dirt and I didn't have any counter weight on the rear.
I hit a bump going slow and the tractor rear tires were two feet off the ground. I had my seat belt on and ROPS up but I was quick enough to drop the bucket right away.
I called my dealer and he said that they don't put rear ballast in the b series unless you ask for it.
His answer was that a lot of people buy the b series to mow and do light work. He recommended putting the grader box on for ballast.
It is in the shop getting beat juice right now. The grader box helps but I don't have a perfect lawn so its ballast for me. The b series are very light.
Be safe and always remember the rules, roll bar up seat belt on, roll bar down, no seat belt.
I have 5 kubotas from a bx2670 to an m4900 with backhoes on my l3301 and m4900. I like the b but it is very light.
Stay safe.
View Quote

I wish we could get beet juice around here.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I wish we could get beet juice around here.  
View Quote

If you can't, RV antifreeze at 1:10 to water works well, too. That's what we did.

I almost broke my arm last summer, I was mowing down some saplings and one pinned my arm up against the ROPS. I was able to get the tractor stopped before it snapped my arm, but it really made me think.

I also have the same rule about equipment and kids in the house. I have a 15, 13, and 1 year old. The 15 year old will often help me while I'm in the skid steer, and that's a totally different situation than a toddler or young child running around. There's no way in hell I'd put my toddler in my lap on any piece of equipment.

The 15 year old learned how to do donuts in the skid steer over Christmas break
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top