Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2018 11:47:22 AM EDT
I drive truck. Yesterday I was out in the country near Ravenna Ohio and an Amish boy was weeding an electric fence with a cordless electric weed whacker.

I thought he was perhaps weeding a neighbor’s fence but it was an Amish farm.  Then I stated to notice big 200w solar panels on the south sides of Amish barns.

It seems they are going home grown electric for lighting in barns as well. That way the seven year old doesn’t trip and burn the barn down with a lantern al la Mrs O’Leary.

Article on this

Anyone with Amish Neighbors might pick their brains on this. They have the grid down to an art.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Lancaster pa here. Our Amish still ride scooters. No hover boards yet. But I do pass a buggy every once in a while on the way home from work at night that has blue underglow lights.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lancaster pa here. Our Amish still ride scooters. No hover boards yet. But I do pass a buggy every once in a while on the way home from work at night that has blue underglow lights.
View Quote
Shameful...

The Country is going to Hell.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Amish rules are set locally. Local Amish to me use some solar.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Not Amish, but serving the community:

Smucker's Energy in Kinzers, Pa

From the "About/Contact" page:

Beginning in 1979 with Smucker’s Sales & Service, the Smucker Family provided and serviced diesel power generation equipment and sold products such as wind turbines, inverters, and solar panels. In addition, they designed and installed off-grid solar systems for local Amish farms and businesses, establishing an early background for complex solar integration well before the surge of grid-tied solar that happened in the late 2000’s.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]
We have four different groups around us. I think all of them have solar panels here and there. Headlamps are widely used. I think all the groups have a 'telephone shack' at the end of one driveway. The ones that are contractors usually have a cell phone.

One family has a really nice greenhouse with a wood boiler, solar panels, and fans.

One of the close neighbors and friend has a night vision scope and goes pig hunting in Texas. He also has a building on his property with electricity that an 'English guy' operates . And since it has electricity he decided to get a chest freezer.

I think most try to get away with as much as elders permit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
There are many different sects of Amish. The ones that my wife and I barter with are "old order" Amish. No power, no solar, no telephone shack and no buttons on their clothes. They do however use gasoline engines to power saws and threshers, things that can't be hand or horse powered.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We have four different groups around us. I think all of them have solar panels here and there. Headlamps are widely used. I think all the groups have a 'telephone shack' at the end of one driveway. The ones that are contractors usually have a cell phone.

One family has a really nice greenhouse with a wood boiler, solar panels, and fans.

One of the close neighbors and friend has a night vision scope and goes pig hunting in Texas. He also has a building on his property with electricity that an 'English guy' operates . And since it has electricity he decided to get a chest freezer.

I think most try to get away with as much as elders permit.
View Quote
In my area near my BOL, the Amish are allowed to have landlines in the barn for business, but the local cell phone store sells the shit out of cell phones to them. The brick and mortar stores that they run have gas for lighting and solar power for the registers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The Amish in my neck of the woods still use gas generators for power.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The community rules are set by the local bishop(s).  One community may allow barn doors to open vertically only while the next community may allow horizontal or horizontal opening doors.  They set limits on which outfits may be used in marriage ceremonies etc...  Can cause friction amongst some of the congregants that want to utilize more modern conveniences such as battery operated buggy lights that they will move out of the area to a more relaxed ruled community.  There is a 3 man "steering committee" that rules out of Pennsylvania concerning major conflicts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My area is more lax than some other areas.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm pretty much a hypocrite and make up my solutions to fit what I want to do.

If I don't like doing something, then I'll ban it from my thoughts.

If I REALLY want to do it, then I'll figure out a way to rationalize it ---so I can.

Fooling myself [Americans' Favorite Pastime] comes in handy a lot of times too .

Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm pretty much a hypocrite and make up my solutions to fit what I want to do.

If I don't like doing something, then I'll ban it from my thoughts.

If I REALLY want to do it, then I'll figure out a way to rationalize it ---so I can.

Fooling myself [Americans' Favorite Pastime] comes in handy a lot of times too .

View Quote
I don't care how the Amish choose to live. Not sure why it's such a big deal for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top